LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   linux desktop remote access (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/linux-desktop-remote-access-4175436409/)

fachhoch@gmail.com 11-09-2012 08:48 AM

linux desktop remote access
 
We need opinion on how feasibale will it be to work on ubuntu gmnome desktop accessing it remotely running on a virtual machine provided network speed is good compared to physical machine running ubunut desktop?
We tried remote access using xrdp, vnc, nxserver none of them appeared to work good its always hanging copy/paste does not work, refresh rate is slow etc.

I am wondering if remote access ubuntu desktop is a good option ?Please advice.

acid_kewpie 11-09-2012 09:32 AM

I would say that NX really is the best generic option going. Persist with it for a while.

shivaa 11-09-2012 10:27 AM

You have one more option - CITRIX.
Details: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CitrixICAClientHowTo

theNbomr 11-09-2012 11:29 AM

Your description of what you're attempting is confusing:
Quote:

accessing it remotely running on a virtual machine
What purpose/role does the virtualization serve? It sounds to me like a useless layer, that is possibly responsible for the poor performance. I use remote desktop access to both Linux and Windows hosts successfully on both Linux and Windows clients.
Further, it is unusual to export a desktop to remote hosts. Usually, the remote host logs in with ssh, with its own local desktop. The ssh login can then be used to launch whatever applications are required, including GUI applications whose X connection will be forwarded to the remote host's X server.

What are you trying to accomplish by exporting the remote desktop?

--- rod.

fachhoch@gmail.com 11-09-2012 02:06 PM

ubuntu will be our new development environemnt, our network guys say its easier for them to provide us VM than a physical machine , we have our windows desktops and we will remote to the ubuntu desktop , if remote option is not friendly I would convey this to my network guys accessing linux desktop remotely for everyday work is a bad idea.


Quote:

Originally Posted by theNbomr (Post 4825925)
Your description of what you're attempting is confusing:

What purpose/role does the virtualization serve? It sounds to me like a useless layer, that is possibly responsible for the poor performance. I use remote desktop access to both Linux and Windows hosts successfully on both Linux and Windows clients.
Further, it is unusual to export a desktop to remote hosts. Usually, the remote host logs in with ssh, with its own local desktop. The ssh login can then be used to launch whatever applications are required, including GUI applications whose X connection will be forwarded to the remote host's X server.

What are you trying to accomplish by exporting the remote desktop?

--- rod.


jefro 11-09-2012 03:15 PM

Might even look at 2X.com products.

I think that NX is maybe the fastest or tied with windows RDP.

Do you need to see the entire desktop or can you use other means to display a single application?

Might also consider iscsi type of systems or a ipxe/gpxe boot to a network share virtual machine image or system image.

theNbomr 11-09-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fachhoch@gmail.com (Post 4826042)
ubuntu will be our new development environemnt, our network guys say its easier for them to provide us VM than a physical machine , we have our windows desktops and we will remote to the ubuntu desktop , if remote option is not friendly I would convey this to my network guys accessing linux desktop remotely for everyday work is a bad idea.

Okay, so the remote Linux is Ubuntu, and it is virtual. Now the question becomes whether you actually need a desktop on a remote host to do development. Using an ssh connection from your Windows workstation to the virtual Ubuntu should give you excellent performance, and still provide all of the development environment you need. I have used that model for many years, using both Windows and Linux on the local workstation, and both real and virtual development hosts. What is there on the remote Ubuntu desktop that you consider vital? Exporting an entire remote desktop seems needless & resource-consuming.
--- rod.

fachhoch@gmail.com 11-09-2012 05:29 PM

I need the entire desktop we are using this like our physical machines unfortunately our network team thinks its good idea to have a vm than a physical machine, I want to convince them its not good idea to use remote access linux compared to physical machine.




Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 4826087)
Might even look at 2X.com products.

I think that NX is maybe the fastest or tied with windows RDP.

Do you need to see the entire desktop or can you use other means to display a single application?

Might also consider iscsi type of systems or a ipxe/gpxe boot to a network share virtual machine image or system image.


theNbomr 11-09-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fachhoch@gmail.com (Post 4826158)
I need the entire desktop we are using this like our physical machines

Why do you need to do that? If the virtual hosts become real hosts, how will that matter? If you have one virtual (or real) host, how will you share its single desktop concurrently with multiple users? Will all users share one ID on the remote Ubuntu? Wouldn't you want each user to have his/her own login ID?
Remote access does not mean remote desktop. That is how Windows remote access works, but it is seldom used to access Linux hosts, which are intended to support multiple users concurrently.
The remote host can be either real or virtual. It's done all the time. Frequently, a shared development host is run completely headless; there is no desktop to be shared.

--- rod.

fachhoch@gmail.com 11-10-2012 06:33 AM

We were developing in windows machine , now we have to move to machine with operating system ubuntu,our new development machines will be ubuntu desktops.
Every developer who has the windows machine will get a machine which has ubuntu operating system .
We asked our network team to install ubuntu in every developer machine. They say its better to have virtual machine rather than installing ubuntu in every machine and access ur ubuntu machine through vnc client.


The developers when we tried vnc clinet to access our ubuntu machines we felt its refresh rate is slow, no full screen, no dual monitor copy paste from windows to ubuntu did not work etc .

Please advice me what option is the best having a virtual machine access it through vnc client or have it physically installed in our machines replacing windows?
Hope this explains my concern.









Quote:

Originally Posted by theNbomr (Post 4826173)
Why do you need to do that? If the virtual hosts become real hosts, how will that matter? If you have one virtual (or real) host, how will you share its single desktop concurrently with multiple users? Will all users share one ID on the remote Ubuntu? Wouldn't you want each user to have his/her own login ID?
Remote access does not mean remote desktop. That is how Windows remote access works, but it is seldom used to access Linux hosts, which are intended to support multiple users concurrently.
The remote host can be either real or virtual. It's done all the time. Frequently, a shared development host is run completely headless; there is no desktop to be shared.

--- rod.


theNbomr 11-10-2012 05:05 PM

If you want to use the Ubuntu host from a Windows desktop, then use a Windows ssh client (putty, for instance), and a Windows hosted X server. Login to the remote Ubuntu (doesn't matter whether the Ubuntu is real or virtual), and do your development as a Ubuntu user. Perhaps also, mount the remote Ubuntu filesystem by running a Samba server on the Ubuntu host. Then you can use the local desktop facilities for copy & paste, local editors (but be cognizant of line-terminators), and see all of the files on the Ubuntu host, either as a Windows user with a shared network filesystem, or as a native Ubuntu user logged in via ssh. No need to run any kind of desktop on the development host. In fact, the development host can run completely headless. This will give you good, efficient performance, and provide all of the facilities you need for developing Linux software, either text-mode or GUI.

I suggest that if you are using the Ubuntu platform for team-oriented software development, that you install only one, used by all team members with their own login IDs. Use a code versioning system such as CVS to keep track of source code on the development host, and do backups from the one host only.

--- rod.

fachhoch@gmail.com 11-13-2012 08:54 PM

my network team proposed ubuntu in windows 7 using vmware player ,please advice me how the performance be ? will it be slow ?

acid_kewpie 11-14-2012 02:55 AM

I wouldn't recommend vmware player, use server instead (also free), it lets you run the vm's in a more long term back ground server-like state, and is easier to configure for long term usage (start on boot etc). Performance should be "fine" in general, depends on the machine you're using really.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.