Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have a server at home running slack 9.0. It runs as a mailserver(postfix), with courier-imap, and DNS server. I have fooled around a bit and tried to install apache, php first. Did something wrong, and that didn't work. I removed most of what I could find, but some things left behind I guess.
Last night I installed apache 1.3.27 (from slack 9.0 package), php 4.3.1(from slack 9.0 package) and mysql 3.23.56 (from slack 9.0 package)
Apache runs ok, along with php4 as .so module.
I can use mysql console and add users, databases, and everything else one can actually do with mysql console.
When I run a php script with: phpinfo(); I get:
Configure Command: 'lots of different stuff' '--with-mysql=/shared' 'lots more'
I know I should have more MySQL stuff further down in this list, but this is not there. What I am unsure of is this:
I use: LoadModule php4_module libexec/libphp4.so
I'm unsure if this is a .so file created when I tried and failed with php4.3.9 last time, or if this was made when I installed php from .tgz package.
When I start mysqld it uses basedir=/usr datadir=/var/lib/mysql
Should I remove apache, php and mysql using pkgtool, and remove the libphp4.so file, and install fresh from source, using the the correct --with-etc, and then see what happens?
I have downloaded apache 1.3.33, php4.3.10 and mysql-max4.1.10. (All as source .tar.gz files)
Anyone understand what I've tried to explain here, or have I done a poore job explaining?
Hi there, gnube. (I see you're a neighbour of mine, Sweden)
Thanks for your reply.
I know apache 2.0 is out, but I tried that once, and it didn't want to do anything I told it.
The computer is old, and have limited resources, so I've opted for using: apache 1.3.33, php 4.3.10 and mysql-max 4.1.10.
I'm trying ty access and use MySQL databases via LAN using this server as a webserver. The server has no connection to the internet.
I'm developing scripts and programs in PHP, and I also want to do this at home, so I need to get it running.
Tonight I'll remove the packages installed from slackware, and install all three from source and see what happens.
Thought about re-doing the server, and upgrading to 10.1, but that would mean reconfiguring everything on the server, and that wasn't appealing.
Anyway, I did everything again yesterday, and I thought I'd downloaded the source tarball of mysql, but I had downloaded a binary distribution.
After configuring and installing apache, I extracted mysql and set permissions correctly on the different folders, I configured php with mysql support, and pointed to the right folder. (Guess how excited I was when testing time came.)
I edited httpd.conf and used ScriptAlias to use php. (Didn't have libphp4.so, which was a configuring error on my part.)
Testing, and everything worked like a charm.
(apache1.3.33, mysql4.1.10 and php4.3.10) This is all running on my old P200MMX pc, with 64MB ram and 2.1GB hdd.