LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
igadget79
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Essex, UK
Distribution: Fedora10
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
LinpusLite 9.4 Issues


Hi all

I have just installed the above on a Dell Latitude CPi A366XT and it will not run properly.

It has a PII 366 CPU, 128 Mb Ram, 6495Mb Hdd and 2.5Mb Vram.

Any suggestions apart from bin the Laptop as I am trying to set it up for my kids.

Many thanks

Steve
 
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadget79 View Post
Hi all

I have just installed the above on a Dell Latitude CPi A366XT and it will not run properly.

It has a PII 366 CPU, 128 Mb Ram, 6495Mb Hdd and 2.5Mb Vram.

Any suggestions apart from bin the Laptop as I am trying to set it up for my kids.

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,
Do you think you could be a bit more specific than "it will not run properly"? What exactly does that mean?
cheers,
jdk
 
Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
igadget79
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Essex, UK
Distribution: Fedora10
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi

thanks for the quick reply

It loads the tabs for internet, games etc sometimes but not always.
I also hangs when i try to change tabs, and freezes if i try to run one of the games.

Many thanks

Steve
 
Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadget79 View Post
Hi

thanks for the quick reply

It loads the tabs for internet, games etc sometimes but not always.
I also hangs when i try to change tabs, and freezes if i try to run one of the games.

Many thanks

Steve
One option would be to install Puppy linux instead of linpus. It's very lightweight and a lot easier to work with. Is there any compelling reason to stick with linpus?
cheers,
jdk
 
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
igadget79
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Essex, UK
Distribution: Fedora10
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Only that the kids and i like the tabs layout and i will get them netbooks when i have more cash.

I was thinking the issue could be down to Ram and Vram, but they only give requirements as 366 cpu and 128 mb of ram

Thanks

Steve
 
Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadget79 View Post
Only that the kids and i like the tabs layout and i will get them netbooks when i have more cash.

I was thinking the issue could be down to Ram and Vram, but they only give requirements as 366 cpu and 128 mb of ram

Thanks

Steve
Is the tabs layout specific to linpus? You might be able to get on any distro. This is the beauty of open source. Does the desktop environment have a name? (like KDE, Gnome, etc.)
Cheers,
jdk
 
Old 02-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
igadget79
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Essex, UK
Distribution: Fedora10
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm affraid that i am very new to linux so would not know.

The tabs can be seen on the link below

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opens...s%209.4%20Lite

Original Site link below

http://www.linpus.com/products_1.php?pid=2&gid=1

Thanks for taking the time on this

Steve
 
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadget79 View Post
I'm affraid that i am very new to linux so would not know.

The tabs can be seen on the link below

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opens...s%209.4%20Lite

Original Site link below

http://www.linpus.com/products_1.php?pid=2&gid=1

Thanks for taking the time on this

Steve
OK Steve,
It's called xfwm4-simple which is part of the xfce project. It should be available on just about any distro you install. If you're happy to jink around with linpus, go for it. Just know that if you get fed up there are alternatives. As is generally the case with linux you can do pretty much anything you want.
cheers,
jdk
 
Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
igadget79
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Essex, UK
Distribution: Fedora10
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Are there any you would suggest that are ready made for my specs.

Many thanks once again for all your help, it is much appreciated

Steve
 
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadget79 View Post
Are there any you would suggest that are ready made for my specs.

Many thanks once again for all your help, it is much appreciated

Steve
Many of the distros have a Live CD version which means you can boot into that distro without changing anything on your hard disk. You can then see if it satisfies your needs and then make the change permanent (install it on your hard drive). Puppy Linux, PClinuxOS, DSL (damn small linux) or Edubuntu (as it's for kids) might be candidates.

As I said try them out with a live CD and you'll get a better idea of what each one is like.
cheers,
jdk
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATI Ain in Wonder 8500DV LINUX LIVE boot issues (and TV issues) Flashmahn Linux - Hardware 1 03-09-2009 06:40 AM
xine playback issues, google earth issues AdamBath Slackware 8 08-22-2008 09:28 AM
Perl installation issues mod /cpan issues knockout_artist Linux - Newbie 2 05-14-2008 06:55 PM
Dell m1210 Linux issues (having issues getting network working under Ubuntu) thebert Linux - Newbie 4 03-14-2008 03:47 PM
New to linux, so so lost, auto mounting issues, permissions issues slowhand22 Linux - Newbie 2 02-10-2005 09:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration