I am trying to do a 'light' install of Ubuntu 10.04 using the alternate install CD. Here is how i am planning to do it:
1. Perform a console only installation(Standard system only on d-i tasksel)
2. Install gnome-core
3. Then install the packages i need using apt.
Now, here are the questions:
1. Would such an installation lead have any significant performance(RAM usage) advantage over a full fledged installation?
2. Is there a way i could install gnome-core from the installation CD instead of downloading them from the repository?
3. Would installing just gnome-core mean that synaptic & update-manager wouldn't be available? i am hoping that it wouldn't be the case I checked their dependencies from packages.ubuntu.com, it doesn't look like they need gnome-desktop-environment to be installed first.
4. Would such an install have any more device driver related issues (eg.display drivers) than a regular install?
I got the idea after reading the following blog posts
thanks in advance