LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Rep: Reputation: 0
Kubuntu GUI login screen reappears


Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum. Today morning I installed "skim" program which i used for chinese input. when my sytem was restarted for the second time, it went inside but the GUI login screen reappears even after giving the correct password!
Pls help


thank you
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
T3RM1NVT0R
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Internet
Distribution: Linux Mint, SLES, CentOS, Red Hat
Posts: 2,385

Rep: Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476
@ Reply

Hi 1991sudarshan,

Welcome to LQ.

When you say that the login screen re-appeared does that mean you entered the password and were able to login then suddenly system logged you off and you were back to the login screen.

or

You were not at all able to login using GUI?
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1NVT0R View Post
Hi 1991sudarshan,

Welcome to LQ.

When you say that the login screen re-appeared does that mean you entered the password and were able to login then suddenly system logged you off and you were back to the login screen.

or

You were not at all able to login using GUI?

the plasm-desktop is not coming! when i enter the password again the login screen appears no matter how many time i try!!!
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I was able to login using all "TTY"
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
T3RM1NVT0R
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Internet
Distribution: Linux Mint, SLES, CentOS, Red Hat
Posts: 2,385

Rep: Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476
@ Reply

Can you please paste the out of

/etc/inittab

Is this CentOS?

Last edited by T3RM1NVT0R; 04-16-2011 at 07:43 AM.
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1NVT0R View Post
Can you please paste the out of

/etc/inittab

Is this CentOS?


sorry i did understand you!!
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
T3RM1NVT0R
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Internet
Distribution: Linux Mint, SLES, CentOS, Red Hat
Posts: 2,385

Rep: Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476
@ Reply

Hi 1991sudarshan,

Sorry for the typo. What I wanted to say is, can you paste the output of cat /etc/inittab command so that we can have a look at your /etc/inittab file contents.

Also I wanted to know which Linux are you using? Is this CentOS, Ubuntu or any other flavor of Linux?
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
ok sure
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
jlinkels
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Bonaire
Distribution: Debian Wheezy/Jessie/Sid, Linux Mint DE
Posts: 4,493

Rep: Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635
I have had this a few times, but not with Kubuntu.

Try this:

When you see the login screen, press CTRL-ALT-F1
On the login prompt, login with your normal user name
Issue this command: cd /tmp
Make 100% sure your prompt changed to somthing ending in ..../tmp$
You must see the tmp$ otherwise do NOT proceed
Then sudo rm -Rf *
Reboot

jlinkels
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1NVT0R View Post
Hi 1991sudarshan,

Sorry for the typo. What I wanted to say is, can you paste the output of cat /etc/inittab command so that we can have a look at your /etc/inittab file contents.

Also I wanted to know which Linux are you using? Is this CentOS, Ubuntu or any other flavor of Linux?

after typing that command i got this!!

cat : /etc/inittab : No such file or directory
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinkels View Post
I have had this a few times, but not with Kubuntu.

Try this:

When you see the login screen, press CTRL-ALT-F1
On the login prompt, login with your normal user name
Issue this command: cd /tmp
Make 100% sure your prompt changed to somthing ending in ..../tmp$
You must see the tmp$ otherwise do NOT proceed
Then sudo rm -Rf *
Reboot

jlinkels
Sorry Mate! you remedies did not work! Still the problem is there!!
 
Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1NVT0R View Post
Hi 1991sudarshan,

Sorry for the typo. What I wanted to say is, can you paste the output of cat /etc/inittab command so that we can have a look at your /etc/inittab file contents.

Also I wanted to know which Linux are you using? Is this CentOS, Ubuntu or any other flavor of Linux?


mate any other way to do gui login??
 
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
eSelix
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Distribution: Arch, Kubuntu
Posts: 1,252

Rep: Reputation: 313Reputation: 313Reputation: 313Reputation: 313
You can look into errors after unsuccessful login and switching to console by CTRL+ALT+F1 with:
Code:
cat ~/.xsession-errors
Paste output here.

As the last resort you can remove "skim" by
Code:
sudo apt-get remove skim
I had this behavior when has no free hard disk space left on home partition.

Last edited by eSelix; 04-16-2011 at 09:31 AM.
 
Old 04-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSelix View Post
You can look into errors after unsuccessful login and switching to console by CTRL+ALT+F1 with:
Code:
cat ~/.xsession-errors
Paste output here.

As the last resort you can remove "skim" by
Code:
sudo apt-get remove skim
I had this behavior when has no free hard disk space left on home partition.

I have uninstalled skim and my kubuntu installed partition has enough space!
 
Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
1991sudarshan
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai,India
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 49

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
But still that problem Presist!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't log in to XFCE on Fedora 13 - password OK but GDM screen just reappears gusblake Fedora 4 07-16-2010 03:53 PM
kubuntu kde4.1 login screen issue sharky Ubuntu 1 08-19-2008 01:01 AM
Kubuntu 7.10 login screen font is gigantic! Cold Coffee Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 04-10-2008 01:46 AM
Kubuntu Login Screen now all Black! mazinoz Ubuntu 2 07-02-2007 09:25 PM
Unable to get passed Kubuntu 7.04 login screen gmhuntr7 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 04-28-2007 07:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration