LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
angus orion
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry Kopete Disappeared Completely


Ok, I'm a not so newbie but I'm no pro at linux yet. I'm using Mandrake 10 and have been for a few months now. Today... as I was AFK... Kopete completely disappeared from my entire computer. I did whereis and even tried to reinstall it. Normally I'll spend a week figuring something out so I don't frusterate the more experienced users with my worthless questions but I am utterly baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!



-- Angus Orion
 
Old 08-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
ambayah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: 0
Build a new one then.
 
Old 08-28-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
angus orion
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Yeah I already tried that. It didn't work. That also doesnt help me to understand why a program would just vanish on its own.


--Angus Orion
 
Old 08-28-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
J.W.
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 6,642

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally posted by ambayah
Build a new one then.
ambayah -- In the future, and per the LQ Rules, please do not respond to a post unless you have something constructive to say. Thanks. -- J.W.
 
Old 08-29-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
angus orion
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Ok, I don't understand this but I tried another reinstall and it took. Even though I have the program back I'm still baffled. Anyway thanks for anyhelp.
 
Old 08-31-2004, 02:43 AM   #6
ambayah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by J.W.
ambayah -- In the future, and per the LQ Rules, please do not respond to a post unless you have something constructive to say. Thanks. -- J.W.
I don't understand why my post isn't constructive? Reinstalling/rebuilding is a solution.
 
Old 08-31-2004, 03:39 AM   #7
J.W.
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 6,642

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally posted by ambayah
I don't understand why my post isn't constructive? Reinstalling/rebuilding is a solution.
The full extent of the problem that original poster described was simply that a single program could not be located. Your post seemed to suggest that he/she start over from scratch by reinstalling the distro and/or rebuilding the PC, and Yes, although I'll agree that technically, a full reinstall would qualify as a "solution", it is rather extreme (to say the least) and would sort of be like suggesting that a person buy a new car just because they couldn't find the owner's manual. That might solve the problem, but full reinstalls should be considered only as a last resort, such as in the case where severe system corruption has occurred or security has been breached.

Because your post didn't seem to offer any specific advice as to how to either search for the program or reinstall it, I took it to be a flippant remark, and thus felt it was appropriate to comment. If your actual intent was otherwise, I'm sorry, and I didn't mean to come across as being harsh. -- J.W.
 
Old 08-31-2004, 05:29 AM   #8
ambayah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by J.W.
The full extent of the problem that original poster described was simply that a single program could not be located. Your post seemed to suggest that he/she start over from scratch by reinstalling the distro and/or rebuilding the PC, and Yes, although I'll agree that technically, a full reinstall would qualify as a "solution", it is rather extreme (to say the least) and would sort of be like suggesting that a person buy a new car just because they couldn't find the owner's manual. That might solve the problem, but full reinstalls should be considered only as a last resort, such as in the case where severe system corruption has occurred or security has been breached.

Because your post didn't seem to offer any specific advice as to how to either search for the program or reinstall it, I took it to be a flippant remark, and thus felt it was appropriate to comment. If your actual intent was otherwise, I'm sorry, and I didn't mean to come across as being harsh. -- J.W.
Hi,

I'm sorry about this, but you may have misunderstood, I was suggesting him to rebuild/compile his kopete, not the whole system. I believe the poster assumes this too.

Last edited by ambayah; 08-31-2004 at 05:32 AM.
 
Old 08-31-2004, 05:35 AM   #9
Proud
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: England
Distribution: Used to use Mandrake/Mandriva
Posts: 2,794

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
But Mandrake's rpm based and Kopete is on the disks, so you'd just have to use urpmi/MCC to reinstall it. Hense the mod might assume that any rebuilding refers to the whole system which is apparently acting odd by removing random apps.
 
Old 08-31-2004, 07:13 AM   #10
ambayah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: 0
Yes, that is what he may assume and since I installed. Since I always build my latest Kopete (http://kopete.kde.org/index.php?page=downloads). I am suggesting him to do also
 
Old 08-31-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
J.W.
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 6,642

Rep: Reputation: 83
Just to clear it up -- Yes, I interpreted the suggestion to "Build a new one" to mean "Reinstall the distro", which as I explained seemed rather like a flippant remark rather than a useful suggestion. If that was not the intent behind the comment, my apologies. As I am sure you would agree, if a single program is malfunctioning, or cannot be located, it would be overkill to reinstall the entire distro just to solve that issue. -- J.W.
 
Old 09-27-2004, 11:46 PM   #12
eksit
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
try in bash "locate kopete". i bet you'll find files related to kopete. this happened to me with mdk 10 ce. drove me bat sh*t. duh, try "killall -9 kopete", then restart the program. good luck!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem installing Kopete kopete-0.10.1 on suse 9.2 prestoj8 Linux - Software 3 07-11-2005 03:14 AM
Completely Disgusted.... ShadowMetis Programming 1 03-09-2005 12:08 PM
I'm completely lost! powadha Linux - Networking 1 06-14-2004 05:44 PM
Shutdown completely clum Slackware 3 11-26-2003 05:25 AM
Completely New D26 Linux - Newbie 2 08-25-2003 09:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration