Kernel Panic while booting with a newly compiled kernel
I am a newbie to kernel programming.
I am now stuck with a problem and require your help.
What I did:
* Installed RHEL Server release 5 ( Tikanga ) kernel 184.108.40.206.el5 on an i686 machine.
* Downloaded 220.127.116.11 from kernel.org and unzipped it to a local folder.
* I did a make modules followed by make install
* Then I built the kernel using make bzImage.
* Copied the bzImage to /boot
* Did a mkinitrd with the 18.104.22.168 version and copied the .img file to /boot
* Edit grub.conf with a new title to boot bzImage and newly created initrd.
On booting I get the following error. Don’t know how to proceed from here.
Can someone help me. Please let me know if you require any more details.
Since I am new to this forum and Linux kernel programming I have no idea what data
Is relevant for this issue.
Screen shot follows:
Activating logical volumes
2 logical volume(s) in volume group “VolGroup00” now active
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
Setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
No fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
ERROR opening /dev/console: No such file or directory
Trying to use fd 0 instead.
WARNING: can’t access (null)
exec of init ((null)) failed!!!: Bad address
Kernel panic – not syncing: Attempted to kill init!