Originally Posted by jpollard
Depends on what went wrong.
We will need a lot more information before diagnosis. What distribution, what platform, what boot procedure, did you update the boot, did you install the kernel, what error messages?
First of all, thank you for reply!
- The Distribution is Centos 7.
- The platform is a hp pavilion 14 - core i5, x86_64
- The boot procedure is grub2
- Yes, I update the grub with "grub2-install /dev/sda"
- Yes, I got the kernel 3.18.3 from the "kernel.org" website, unpack the tar file normally with root privileges and then configure using "# make menuconfig", because others bad experience with others versions of kernel: "3.16.3", "3.18.3" the last, I do not configure anything, e.g, just save the configuration and then exit, and then I use "# make && make modules_install && make install", after conclude, I update the boot with the grub2-install command.
- The message when I try to boot with the new compiled kernel is:
"[ 0.747342] sound hdaudioC0D0: No codec parser is avalaible
[ 0.751454] sound hdaudioC1D0: No codec parser is avalaible
Entering emergency mode. Exit the Sell to continue
Type "journalctl" to view system logs. ..."
so i type exit in the prompt, the appear:
"systemd-fsk: /sbin/fsk.xfs: XFS file system. ..."
but my atual kernel in this machine is the 3.16.2 with I have compiled it normally using the same way with I try to compile these kernel version which have problem.
the image attached is my terminal when the compilation is concluded