LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
cluelesshugh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
is this ubuntu or xubuntu and what is going on?


First up, I'm clueless so be gentle

A few years ago i installed (what i believe) was Xubuntu on my PC as a dual boot with windows , just to play around with it.

It didn't take long to figure out that all i do is browse the web and not much esle, so i used either as the fancy took me.

A while ago i had a notification that i had updates available and i downloaded them.

Update was to 12.04 lts and since then i have no main menu, nothing happens on the top panel except the name of the app running and the option to close/minimise it. (top right still has updates, envelope icon, volume, user and shut dowm).
There is an 'alacarte' menu down the left side but it has limited options.
Anyways, i let it go as i didn't need terminal or anything else but now my son wants to play online games and i don't want him doing it on windows, and want to set up his own user id so he won't screw mine up but i can't do a thing with this OS at all

I went to a Xubuntu help live forum and they recon it must be ubuntu but when it loads it says Xubuntu (y'know, at startup with the mouse, and the cylon back and forward thing).
When no apps are running it says Ubuntu desktop on top panel???

Any help would be good.
can i update to 12.10 without loosing anything and can i check if it is Xubuntu or ubuntu?

thanks

Last edited by cluelesshugh; 12-09-2012 at 12:05 AM.
 
Old 12-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
shivaa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Grenoble, Fr.
Distribution: Sun Solaris, RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian 6.0
Posts: 1,797
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 285Reputation: 285Reputation: 285
Open a terminal using ALT+CTRL+T and then you can check OS using cmd:
Code:
uname -a
 
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Some screenshots would help to identify it.

Ubuntu tends to look like this, while Xubuntu tends to look like this. Do either look familar to your current desktop?
 
Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
tommcd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA USA
Distribution: Lubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 288Reputation: 288Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
can i update to 12.10 without loosing anything and can i check if it is Xubuntu or ubuntu?
While you are in the terminal (ALT+CTRL+T as shivva mentioned, or hit CTRL + ALT + F2, then login to the virtual terminal there. You can then hit CTRL + ALT + F7 to get back to the desktop) run these commands to find out what flavor and version of the Ubuntu family you have: http://www.ubuntuka.com/how-to-find-out-ubuntu-version/

If your upgrade to 12.04 went badly, and this can often happen, then trying to upgrade to 12.10 from a borked 12.04 will likely not go very well.
I always do clean installs of Ubuntu. I never do dist-upgrades. With a clean install you start with a clean slate, and this is the most foolproof way to avoid problems with upgrades.

And welcome to the LQ forums!

Last edited by tommcd; 12-09-2012 at 04:22 AM.
 
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
Lennie
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Sweden
Distribution: LFS, built with pacman
Posts: 302

Rep: Reputation: 61
Maybe you have installed either xubuntu-desktop in Ubuntu, or ubuntu-desktop in Xubuntu? Do you get the login-screen, or are you automatically logged in? If you log out, what alternatives of desktops do you have from the login-screen?
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
cluelesshugh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaa View Post
Open a terminal using ALT+CTRL+T and then you can check OS using cmd:
Code:
uname -a
Linux hugh-desktop 3.2.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 7 16:16:45 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
Some screenshots would help to identify it.

Ubuntu tends to look like this, while Xubuntu tends to look like this. Do either look familar to your current desktop?
it used to look like xubuntu, now it looks like ubuntu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
While you are in the terminal (ALT+CTRL+T as shivva mentioned, or hit CTRL + ALT + F2, then login to the virtual terminal there. You can then hit CTRL + ALT + F7 to get back to the desktop) run these commands to find out what flavor and version of the Ubuntu family you have: http://www.ubuntuka.com/how-to-find-out-ubuntu-version/

And welcome to the LQ forums!
hugh@hugh-desktop:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd View Post

If your upgrade to 12.04 went badly, and this can often happen, then trying to upgrade to 12.10 from a borked 12.04 will likely not go very well.
I always do clean installs of Ubuntu. I never do dist-upgrades. With a clean install you start with a clean slate, and this is the most foolproof way to avoid problems with upgrades.

And welcome to the LQ forums!
can i do a clean install without loosing everything or should i save what i want and start again?

I don't realy care if it is X or U, just want to add a user at this stage

Last edited by cluelesshugh; 12-09-2012 at 06:41 AM.
 
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
can i do a clean install without loosing everything or should i save what i want and start again?
Make backups; also of your Windows stuff. Upgrades as well as fresh installs can and do go wrong

If you will loose data during a fresh install or not depends on your current setup (seperate home partition or not)

Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; 12-09-2012 at 08:08 AM.
 
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,921

Rep: Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050
You do not need to reinstall to switch desktops. You choose which desktop you want from the login screen. (If you have auto-login enabled, disable it.) Look for a little "gear" icon next to your username, there's a screenshot here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce

Here are easy instructions to get rid of the new Unity/Ubuntu desktop completely and get back to your familiar Xfce/Xubuntu default desktop:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu
 
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
malekmustaq
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: /root
Distribution: Slackware & BSD
Posts: 1,223

Rep: Reputation: 231Reputation: 231Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
First up, I'm clueless so be gentle

A few years ago i installed (what i believe) was Xubuntu on my PC as a dual boot with windows , just to play around with it.

It didn't take long to figure out that all i do is browse the web and not much esle, so i used either as the fancy took me.

A while ago i had a notification that i had updates available and i downloaded them.

Update was to 12.04 lts and since then i have no main menu, nothing happens on the top panel except the name of the app running and the option to close/minimise it. (top right still has updates, envelope icon, volume, user and shut dowm).
There is an 'alacarte' menu down the left side but it has limited options.
Anyways, i let it go as i didn't need terminal or anything else but now my son wants to play online games and i don't want him doing it on windows, and want to set up his own user id so he won't screw mine up but i can't do a thing with this OS at all

I went to a Xubuntu help live forum and they recon it must be ubuntu but when it loads it says Xubuntu (y'know, at startup with the mouse, and the cylon back and forward thing).
When no apps are running it says Ubuntu desktop on top panel???

Any help would be good.
can i update to 12.10 without loosing anything and can i check if it is Xubuntu or ubuntu?

thanks
Since your original install was Xubuntu the upgrade naturally defaults to xfce desktop. The problem with recent Xfce (v. 4.10) is that it offers two (2) types of sessions: the Empty and the Basic (which offers simple application menus) This choice between empty and basic can be decided at the login screen <look for the Session tab, or simply at first login the choices are offered, make your choice>. The offer of an empty desktop is a "welcome" to me since I always love to configure everything, but this is not a welcome option to those who have no time to learn and control the DE.

Just a brief advice.
Choose the "Basic" desktop when prompted.
Or go use either KDE (Kubuntu) or Gnome (Ubuntu) if you have NO TIME for configuration or controlling Desktop is not your appetite.

HOpe that helps.

Good luck.

Last edited by malekmustaq; 12-09-2012 at 11:50 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
cluelesshugh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by malekmustaq View Post
Since your original install was Xubuntu the upgrade naturally defaults to xfce desktop. The problem with recent Xfce (v. 4.10) is that it offers two (2) types of sessions: the Empty and the Basic (which offers simple application menus) This choice between empty and basic can be decided at the login screen <look for the Session tab, or simply at first login the choices are offered, make your choice>. The offer of an empty desktop is a "welcome" to me since I always love to configure everything, but this is not a welcome option to those who have no time to learn and control the DE.

Just a brief advice.
Choose the "Basic" desktop when prompted.
Or go use either KDE (Kubuntu) or Gnome (Ubuntu) if you have NO TIME for configuration or controlling Desktop is not your appetite.

HOpe that helps.

Good luck.
There is no prompt anywhere for "basic" desktop
First there is the selection of Ubuntu at thr grub menu
Then it loads "Xubuntu" with the back and forward cylon eye thing
Then on the login screen i can only choose between myself and guest user (at the bottom of the screen it says copyright "Ubuntu 12.04 lts")
And then when it is up and running it says "ubuntu desktop" at the top left........

I'll post this and go have another (4th) look for this Empty/Basic of which you speak
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
cluelesshugh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yeah, found it, thanks a bunch.
That little round symbol next to my login is an icon.

Many thanks, i'll let you know how i go
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
cluelesshugh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
so i have a choice between:
-gnome classic
-gnome classic (no effects)
-recovery console
-ubuntu
-ubuntu 2D
-user defined session
-xfce session
-xubuntu session

gnome classic seems to be what i'm after but what are they all??????????
 
Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
-gnome classic
Gnome 3 with the old Gnome 2 look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
-gnome classic (no effects)
same as above but without things like Compiz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
-recovery console
Use this is you want to repair things that stop you getting into a normal desktop session.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
-ubuntu
Unity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
-ubuntu 2D
Unity without Compiz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
-user defined session
You choose what you want to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
-xfce session
Xfce
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post
-xubuntu session
Xubuntu which is XFCE.
 
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
TroN-0074
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan USA
Distribution: OpenSUSE 13.2 64bit-Gnome on ASUS U52F
Posts: 1,430

Rep: Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesshugh View Post

gnome classic seems to be what i'm after but what are they all??????????
Simple. They are nothing but just different graphical user interface. You can try them all and choose the one you really like. Under the hood is the same old Gnu-Linux

In Linux there are many different user interface for people to choose, some people like to have the choice. Unlike Microsoft or Apple the user only has one and that is it.

Good luck to you!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] how to install xubuntu , kubuntu , lubuntu , ubuntu in one installation of ubuntu unkn(0)wn Linux - Newbie 6 12-11-2011 07:18 PM
Problem regarding Xubuntu on Ubuntu Nabeel Ubuntu 3 09-29-2010 12:46 AM
LXer: Xubuntu: The Better Ubuntu than Ubuntu LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-17-2009 01:10 PM
Ubuntu + Kubuntu + Xubuntu + edubuntu + Ubuntu Server linux-ishu Ubuntu 12 01-17-2008 08:55 PM
Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Kubuntu maverick_awp Ubuntu 14 10-24-2006 06:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration