LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy Is there an easy way to get my webcam working?


I just got the Creative Live@ Cam Video IM Pro and am having trouble finding a solid answer/way to get it working. I downloaded the ov51x-jpeg-source.deb file and restarted ,but it's still not picking up my cam. I'm on Debian testing. Help? Tips?

Thanks
 
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Brian1
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu
Posts: 5,700

Rep: Reputation: 62
Based on this quick google search I found this.
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php
It mentions using the M5603 chipset.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/m560x-driver/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/livecam/

If this does not work you might try uvcvideo. Use the trunk release for the latest.
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

Brian
 
Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks for the quick response Brian!

I had just finished making an attempt own my own with this here.

http://wiki.debian.org/USBWebCam

I did what was under the The Ov51x WebCam Driver section. Everything installed fine ,but when I use the command 'camorama' I get

Error(camorama)

Could not connect to video device (/dev/video0).
Please check the connection.
 
Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
No luck so far.

What do from here?

http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

Last edited by 449; 02-13-2008 at 01:38 PM.
 
Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Poetics
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,181

Rep: Reputation: 49
I actually -just- installed the same webcam, and it's working fine (in Skype and other programs). Take a look at the official Creative linux-compatibility website (found here in a 5 second google search for "creative webcam linux") and you'll see that it requires the linux-UVC kernel module, and even provides a link.

Make sure you have v4l (video4linux) compiled into your kernel or otherwise loaded as a module, and you should be able to build the UVC module without problem.
 
Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetics View Post
I actually -just- installed the same webcam, and it's working fine (in Skype and other programs). Take a look at the official Creative linux-compatibility website (found here in a 5 second google search for "creative webcam linux") and you'll see that it requires the linux-UVC kernel module, and even provides a link.

Make sure you have v4l (video4linux) compiled into your kernel or otherwise loaded as a module, and you should be able to build the UVC module without problem.
How do you compile a kernel?

I don't know what to do here.

But I'm glad to here it's possible to get this cam working.
 
Old 02-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 449 View Post
How do you compile a kernel?

I don't know what to do here.

But I'm glad to here it's possible to get this cam working.
Ok, I went into Synaptic(I'm a noob) and installed linux-UVC, but it's stilling not showing up under /dev.
 
Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Poetics
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,181

Rep: Reputation: 49
Take a look at the last few lines of the 'dmesg' command. Plug in your webcam and run dmesg again -- see what changed. If it describes a webcam, you should be ready to go; if it just talks about a generic USB device being inserted, it looks like the module wasn't included correctly and/or wasn't loaded.
 
Old 02-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetics View Post
Take a look at the last few lines of the 'dmesg' command. Plug in your webcam and run dmesg again -- see what changed. If it describes a webcam, you should be ready to go; if it just talks about a generic USB device being inserted, it looks like the module wasn't included correctly and/or wasn't loaded.
usb 5-7: USB disconnect, address 5
usb 5-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 5-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
6:3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84


What do you suggest?
 
Old 02-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
Brian1
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu
Posts: 5,700

Rep: Reputation: 62
If using the linux-uvc you do not need to compile the kernel. You will need to install the kernel source rpms. If you are running the default installed kernel no updates then on the cd is an rpm called kernel-devel-********.rpm where ******** is the version of kernel you are running. So as root use the command ' rpm -ivh kernel-devel*.rpm ' to install.

Now download the linux-uvc from the link above and compile the code following the readme and or install docs from the extracted source file.

Brian
 
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
If using the linux-uvc you do not need to compile the kernel. You will need to install the kernel source rpms. If you are running the default installed kernel no updates then on the cd is an rpm called kernel-devel-********.rpm where ******** is the version of kernel you are running. So as root use the command ' rpm -ivh kernel-devel*.rpm ' to install.

Now download the linux-uvc from the link above and compile the code following the readme and or install docs from the extracted source file.

Brian

I deleted the entries for the cd sources, where can I found those?
 
Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
Brian1
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu
Posts: 5,700

Rep: Reputation: 62
What cd sources are you referring too?

Brian
 
Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
What cd sources are you referring too?

Brian
Debian testing?
 
Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
If using the linux-uvc you do not need to compile the kernel. You will need to install the kernel source rpms. If you are running the default installed kernel no updates then on the cd is an rpm called kernel-devel-********.rpm where ******** is the version of kernel you are running. So as root use the command ' rpm -ivh kernel-devel*.rpm ' to install.

Brian
How do I get kernel-devel?
 
Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #15
Brian1
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu
Posts: 5,700

Rep: Reputation: 62
kernel-devel-*****.rpm is for Fedora Redhat type distros. I don't know anything about Debian. I must have gotten crosslink in my thinking about your post and another on kernel-devel-***.rpm file.

Brian
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intel Easy cam/webcam LinuxPimp SUSE / openSUSE 3 06-15-2005 02:18 AM
webcam...almost working... lukasz4k Linux - Hardware 1 11-22-2004 03:52 AM
intel easy pc webcam rzaratustra Linux - Hardware 0 05-18-2004 07:20 AM
USB Webcam is not working linuxfan1 Linux - Newbie 9 04-17-2004 11:29 AM
webcam not working TravisB Linux - Hardware 2 04-19-2003 01:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration