LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
m2azer
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: red hat, fedora & centos
Posts: 202

Rep: Reputation: 30
is it 64 or 32


Hello all,
I have a very "newbi" question.
linux86 Vs linux86-64 does it mean OS is ether 32 or 64 bit ?
how would i find out? or what command can show me if i am using linux 32 or 64 bit?
also how would i know if my chip is x86 or x64?

can i install 64bit programs on linux32 bit?

I know its very very newbi question.. thanks in advance for your answers
 
Old 12-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,417

Rep: Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974
uname -i will tell you.
 
Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
jailbait
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain
Distribution: Debian Jessie, Linux Mint 17
Posts: 7,750

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2azer View Post
Hello all,
I have a very "newbi" question.
linux86 Vs linux86-64 does it mean OS is ether 32 or 64 bit ?
how would i find out? or what command can show me if i am using linux 32 or 64 bit?
also how would i know if my chip is x86 or x64?

can i install 64bit programs on linux32 bit?

I know its very very newbi question.. thanks in advance for your answers

32 bit means that the hardware is capable of using 32 bit addressing. 64 bit means that the hardware is capable of both 32 bit addressing and 64 bit addressing. The 64 bit addressing is done with extra instructions that a 32 bit machine does not have.

If you use 64 bit Linux on a 64 bit machine then the software will take advantage of the 64 bit instructions and will run faster. If you attempt to use 64 bit Linux on a 32 bit machine then the software will not work at all.

If you use 32 bit Linux on a 32 bit machine it works fine. If you use 32 bit Linux on a 64 bit machine that also works fine but you do not get the speed enhancement that the 64 bit machine is capable of providing.

Using a mixture of 32 bit and 64 bit software on a 64 bit machine usually works.

------------------
Steve Stites
 
Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
wraithe
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Distribution: Linux... :-)
Posts: 216
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbait View Post
32 bit means that the hardware is capable of using 32 bit addressing. 64 bit means that the hardware is capable of both 32 bit addressing and 64 bit addressing. The 64 bit addressing is done with extra instructions that a 32 bit machine does not have.

If you use 64 bit Linux on a 64 bit machine then the software will take advantage of the 64 bit instructions and will run faster. If you attempt to use 64 bit Linux on a 32 bit machine then the software will not work at all.

If you use 32 bit Linux on a 32 bit machine it works fine. If you use 32 bit Linux on a 64 bit machine that also works fine but you do not get the speed enhancement that the 64 bit machine is capable of providing.

Using a mixture of 32 bit and 64 bit software on a 64 bit machine usually works.

------------------
Steve Stites
you wont get a speed enhancement unless it uses 64 bit instructions...
i have run both 32bit and 64bit on a 64 bit cpu and other than the fact i was processing units that where capable of using the 64bit instructions, it made no difference...

64bit for the average user can be a disadvantage at the moment as some apps wont work correctly with apps that are 32bit..
example was a plugin for firefox, even tho you could install the 64bit version it was not functional for all web sites, only a sparse few...

if your a linux newbie i would suggest sticking with 32 bit at first, then migrate at a later stage, this way you wont have any dramas and be able to get fluent with linux, after then, its all fun, just to make 64 bit invincible...
 
Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
m2azer
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: red hat, fedora & centos
Posts: 202

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Thank you so much for your replies. just another quick question.

uname -a won't show me what version of linux I have
RHELinux AS (v. 3)
RHELinux ES (v. 3)
RHELinux WS (v. 3)
RHEL4 or 5

is there a command to show me that?


Thanks for you patients
 
Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
jailbait
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain
Distribution: Debian Jessie, Linux Mint 17
Posts: 7,750

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2azer View Post
Thank you so much for your replies. just another quick question.

uname -a won't show me what version of linux I have
RHELinux AS (v. 3)
RHELinux ES (v. 3)
RHELinux WS (v. 3)
RHEL4 or 5

is there a command to show me that?


Thanks for you patients
uname -a shows you what version of Linux you have.

You can find out what version of Red Hat you have with one of the following commands:

rpm -qi redhat-release

less /etc/redhat-release

-------------------
Steve Stites
 
Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
LinuxCrayon
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Georgia, USA
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 274

Rep: Reputation: 31
Not sure if RHEL is different, but my RH version is also in /etc/issue, which apparently spans multiple distros.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration