LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
nyc_rr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 25
Is 802.11n supported by the bcmwl-kernel-source wireless driver?


Hello friends

I have a dual band router with the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ channels.

My laptop with Mint installed has a wifi adapter that supports 802.11/a/b/g/n.

Right now, the wifi is connected to the 2.4GHZ channel. When I did a scan for my SSID that is on the 5GHZ channel, it is not listed.

My chromebook which has a 802.11n adapter as well connects to my 5GHZ channel just fine.

My question is -- is the bcmwl-kernel-source driver limited to only 802.11/a/b/g and 802.11/n isn't supported?

I appreciate any comments. Thanks
 
Old 05-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
nyc_rr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 25
Since no one is sure of the answer. My hunch is the bcmwl-kernel-source driver doesn't support the 802.11n protocol.

It's mot a total lost, at least It works with the 802.11g protocol and thus I can connect to the Internet.

Last edited by nyc_rr; 05-27-2014 at 11:16 PM.
 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,546
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_rr View Post
Since no one is sure of the answer. My hunch is the bcmwl-kernel-source driver doesn't support the 802.11n protocol.

It's mot a total lost, at least It works with the 802.11g protocol and thus I can connect to the Internet.
AFAIK, the brcm80211 drivers are included in the kernel. They are named brcmsmac for PCI cards and brcmfmac for SDIO devices.
I'm not sure however which kernel the broadcom driver became available with, sorry.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/broadcom_wireless

Sometimes installing the driver for your chipset helps the wifi-
And in some cases you may even have to install 'wireless-tools'

https://packages.debian.org/search?k...wireless-tools
 
Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
nyc_rr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 25
Thanks Ztcoracat for your post. The reason I used the bcmwl-kernel-source driver is because I read it replaced the older depreciated bcm43xx drivers. I wasn't aware of the brcm80211 drivers. If I ever do a fresh install of Mint, I'll try the brcm80211 drivers in the future.
 
Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #5
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,546
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_rr View Post
Thanks Ztcoracat for your post. The reason I used the bcmwl-kernel-source driver is because I read it replaced the older depreciated bcm43xx drivers. I wasn't aware of the brcm80211 drivers. If I ever do a fresh install of Mint, I'll try the brcm80211 drivers in the future.
Your very Welcome-

How's Linux Mint with the wireless?

What version of the kernel is Mint using?
Run uname -a to find out:-

I heard 'Linux Mint 17' will be out soon (I think this June) and it's designed for the LTS; which is great.
 
Old 05-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
nyc_rr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Your very Welcome-

How's Linux Mint with the wireless?

What version of the kernel is Mint using?
Run uname -a to find out:-

I heard 'Linux Mint 17' will be out soon (I think this June) and it's designed for the LTS; which is great.
Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Here is what my Mint 16 is

Linux geekguy 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:12:00 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

I'm running Mint 16 MATE 64Bit desktop but the info says ubuntu

As for the wireless. it's strong and stable. Thanks

Last edited by nyc_rr; 05-29-2014 at 06:41 PM.
 
Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,546
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
I'm running Mint 16 MATE 64Bit desktop but the info says ubuntu
Ubuntu?
Yes, of course. -:-Mint is based on Debian and Ubuntu-:-

Just for grins and giggles what's the output of:
Code:
cat /etc/os-release
Thanks for posting the kernel Mint is using.

Last edited by Ztcoracat; 05-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.
 
Old 05-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
nyc_rr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Just for grins and giggles what's the output of:
Code:
cat /etc/os-release
Thanks for posting the kernel Mint is using.
Code:
cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16
DISTRIB_CODENAME=petra
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 16 Petra"
Code:
cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="13.10, Saucy Salamander"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 13.10"
VERSION_ID="13.10"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
Even though it is referencing ubuntu that's ok, It's not a major issue. What's important is all hardware is working at peak performance including wifi.


Last edited by nyc_rr; 05-30-2014 at 12:18 PM.
 
Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,546
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_rr View Post
Code:
cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16
DISTRIB_CODENAME=petra
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 16 Petra"
Code:
cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="13.10, Saucy Salamander"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 13.10"
VERSION_ID="13.10"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
Even though it is referencing ubuntu that's ok, It's not a major issue. What's important is all hardware is working at peak performance including wifi.

Agreed.

The new Linux Mint is already out--
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” MATE RC. Linux Mint 17 Qiana MATE Edition Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" is a long term support release which will be supported until 2019.

Enjoy your Mint;nyc_rr-

Have a great weekend and don't forget to mark your thread solved.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I install this usb wireless 802.11n on ubuntu? ubuntu.fan Linux - Newbie 7 04-24-2012 10:01 PM
Does kernel 2.6.11.12 supports 802.11n wireless USB adapter driver? syseeker Linux - Hardware 1 07-06-2010 06:17 AM
Looking for a 802.11n usb or pcmcia wireless adapter nikosd Linux - Wireless Networking 1 10-26-2009 01:25 AM
[SOLVED] MSI wireless PC70SE 802.11n on Linux LAN-Dominator.nl Linux - Wireless Networking 9 11-05-2008 06:32 AM
802.11n protocol stacks(open source in C++) majji.hari Linux - General 5 07-17-2008 02:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration