Originally Posted by resetreset
Is there something similar to system-config-network (I think that's what it's called in Fedora) for your distro? Can you make your net card "active" over there?
...and I don't use fedora, but posting the output of 'ifconfig' is going to be constructive (I think system-config-network is Fedora/Redhat/derivatives only).
however can not be able to get through to the internet tho the network is on
There are quite a number of steps to go through, and at the moment we have no idea of which step (or steps) that you are tripping over, and that is a necessary preliminary to fixing the problem.
- Can you ping your router (or anything else on your wired network) by ip address?
- is your IP on the right subnet?
- when you say that you can't get on to the internet, do you just mean web browsing, or do ping and dig not work?
- which browser, how is it set up for internet access?
- are you using network manager, wicd, or the ifup/ifdown method of control?
- is it possible that the firewall is getting in the way?