Well, I got it to work!
I got rid of Mandrake because I read somewhere that there was a bug concerning internet connections, and I didn't want to have that getting in the way, since i didn't know what I was doing anyway.
I installed Libranet without letting it automatically find my network card or configure my network connection.
Then I went here http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/
and got their program. And read all of the information!
Then I went back to Libranet, went to XAdmin and loaded my network card. That worked fine for me, it detected it.
Then I followed the instructions included with Roaring Penguin's program to the letter: I did NOT use any of Libranet's menus. I think that is what did me in the last time I tried: all of those editing menus added too much conflicting information. (Maybe)
Anyway, I checked to make sure my card was working by typing lsmod and ifconfig the0, and it was fine.
So I then typed adsl-setup and followed it from there. For Verizon, I had to type in my username with the @verizon.net. When it asked for dns numbers, I typed in server (as suggested by the promp since Verizon takes care of numbers). And by golly it all worked. I am so happy!
Oh, another thing I did before I booted into Libranet, I turned off the Westell modem from Verizon. I booted into Libranet, and then turned it on. I don't know if that helped, but it does send info to the computer, so maybe turing it on while in Libranet sent some needed info to my computer.
Well, I hope this keeps working!