LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
swalker23
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Kubuntu 10.04 x64
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Installing windows on another HDD question.


I decided on buying a cheap 100gb+ HDD to install windows on for my gaming instead of installing it on another partion. My question is can I acess windows xp/vista from my linux desktop and vice versa. To make it clearer I want to switch between OSs. Or am I stuck changing the boot lineup in Bios each time I want to use the other. I mainly will use windows to play games and use my TV tuner card(Hauppauge HVR 1800) having a hard time getting it to work in linux but thats another issue.
 
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 6,872

Rep: Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249
Your computer can easily be set up to boot xp/vista or Linux using Grub bootloader. You will need an entry in your Grub menu.lst file pointing to windows. You don't provide enough information to get details on how to do it. I assume you have Linux installed? What distribution? Assuming you have some Linux version installed now, after you install windows, boot into your Linux and post the output of 'fdisk -l' command and the contents of the /boot/grub/menu.lst file so you can get detailed instructions on how to boot windows.

You can read/write to windows from Linux, if you are using xp/vista you will need ntfs-3g installed. There are programs for windows which can access some Linux filesystems. You can also play games on windows using a Linux program called wine. Haven't done it myself and there is some dispute about how well it works.
 
Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
swalker23
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Kubuntu 10.04 x64
Posts: 85

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Your computer can easily be set up to boot xp/vista or Linux using Grub bootloader. You will need an entry in your Grub menu.lst file pointing to windows. You don't provide enough information to get details on how to do it. I assume you have Linux installed? What distribution? Assuming you have some Linux version installed now, after you install windows, boot into your Linux and post the output of 'fdisk -l' command and the contents of the /boot/grub/menu.lst file so you can get detailed instructions on how to boot windows.

You can read/write to windows from Linux, if you are using xp/vista you will need ntfs-3g installed. There are programs for windows which can access some Linux filesystems. You can also play games on windows using a Linux program called wine. Haven't done it myself and there is some dispute about how well it works.

I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 x64. I haven't gotten the HDD yet still trying to get my tv tuner to work and I if can't get it to work I will buy a new one when I get the HDD. I just want to know if it was possible. I don't want to access files between the 2 just want to switch to windows if I'm in the mood for playing a game and switch back to linux when done. I've tried wine and a freeware program(think it was play on linux something like that) and don't like them. Some games work and others don't so I rather just install windows on a separate HDD.
 
Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 6,872

Rep: Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249
Installing Linux on one drive and windows on another should be really simple and you should find lots of posts here on LQ using the search function or by googling. Just make sure you install windows to the right drive and put an entry in your Kubuntu /boot/grub/menu.lst file for it.

Good Luck.
 
Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
swalker23
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Kubuntu 10.04 x64
Posts: 85

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks

I tried googling but got alot of M$ stuff. I was just wording it wrong and didn't know what I was looking for. Since I have a focus point, the /boot/grub/menu.lst searching should be a little easier. Again I say thanks
 
Old 09-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
horst.graben
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Installing Windows after Linux on 2nd HD

Hello,

I am not able to get a dual boot (Ubuntu Hardy and Windows XP) / dual hard drive system to boot Windows with GRUB.

I was forced to add Windows to an existing Linux system because my daughter's school requires her to run a web application that will only run on Internet Explorer and that will not run under IE on Wine.

Windows went in on a second hard drive.
After installing Windows, I used SuperGrub to automatically restore GRUB to the MBR.
Before doing this, Windows booted fine.

Attempts to boot Windows with GRUB return a "NTLDR not found error".


Does anyone see anything wrong with the GRUB menu.lst file below? (or have any other ideas?)


Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overview of hard drive partitions:

/dev/sda1 EXT3 / mount point boot flag # Main Linux partition
/dev/sda2 NTFS # Small partition Win installer forced me to install
/dev/sda3 extended
/dev/sda5 linux-swap

/dev/sdb1 NTFS boot flag # Windows XP disk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


GRUB menu.lst file (does not work)

# ... Linux stuff above
title Windows XP
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
 
Old 09-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,549
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker23 View Post
I decided on buying a cheap 100gb+ HDD to install windows on for my gaming instead of installing it on another partion. My question is can I acess windows xp/vista from my linux desktop and vice versa. To make it clearer I want to switch between OSs. Or am I stuck changing the boot lineup in Bios each time I want to use the other. I mainly will use windows to play games and use my TV tuner card(Hauppauge HVR 1800) having a hard time getting it to work in linux but thats another issue.
You could setup the 'M$ Windows XP/Vista' as a guest on the Linux box using 'VirtualBox'. You can then switch to an from the M$ OS back to the host 'Linux' OS.

This link and others are available from 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
 
Old 09-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
swalker23
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Kubuntu 10.04 x64
Posts: 85

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,



You could setup the 'M$ Windows XP/Vista' as a guest on the Linux box using 'VirtualBox'. You can then switch to an from the M$ OS back to the host 'Linux' OS.

This link and others are available from 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
How well will it run newer games? I read a few articles that virtual boxes don't run windows games to well and it is just like wine it either a hit or miss on running games.
 
Old 09-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,549
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Hi,

Wine is a emulator, no comparison between a virtual machine with VirtualBox and a emulation layer. Look at the Link to get some good descriptions.
 
Old 09-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 6,872

Rep: Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249
horst.graben, your problems is not related to Grub but is a problem with the windows installer (ntldr). Grub doesn't try to boot windows, it just points to the bootloader on windows and from there it is up to the ntldr and other boot files of windows. Try using your xp disk in Recovery mode to fix this problem. Given your setup, windows on first partition of second disk, the menu.lst entry is correct. I would google "ntldr not found" or whatever the exact message was. Also, try support.microsoft.com.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
installing Windows on a full partioned linux hdd J-xToF Linux - Newbie 26 08-27-2008 10:03 AM
Installing Ubuntu on External HDD; PC has no internal HDD 449 Ubuntu 2 11-28-2007 06:12 PM
Installing ATA/IDE HDD on SATA HDD System Drahcir Linux - Hardware 10 05-31-2006 03:32 AM
how to do a dual boot (Windows on portable HDD) linux on computer HDD izquierdista Linux - General 5 01-28-2006 10:50 AM
installing SuSe Linux on 2nd (windows 98) HDD camtheoz Linux - General 1 05-16-2002 04:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration