I decided that I'm going to get Ubuntu, but I have some questions.
If you look on this page
, there's several options. Ok, now for the questions.
1. What does it mean by support? The server edition is supported till 2013, so does that mean that after 2013 that version will no longer work? Or does it mean that I will have to just redownload the newer version if I want to receieve continued updates on it?
2. What's the difference between the desktop and server editions? Can I still run applications/use the desktop/access folders and files if I download the server edition?
3. I am going to use Linux mostly because I'm sick of Windows. I'm planning to surf the internet, develop software/games, and things like that on Linux. So should I get the desktop edition or the server edition?
4. My DSL internet isn't very fast and it disconnects when the phone rings (no idea why that happens). If I download it using GetRight (a download manager) all the way, and the DSL disconnects but continues like 5 minutes later, will there be any problems with burning the .iso file to the cd or installing linux?
5. Have you ever encountered a problem installing Linux on your computer? I heard some people say that "you never know if something is going to go wrong". But I did a google search and I didn't find anything about Linux messing up a person's computer. So would it be a good idea to back up the files before installing Linux? And what are the chances of Linux failing to setup/messing up your computer?
6. How long does installing Linux take?
7. Describe Ubuntu.
8. The entire Ubuntu .iso file is all I need to setup Linux, right? Is 700MB all that's needed? (just need to make sure). How much space will Linux take up when it's fully installed on my computer?
9. I know know if I have a
Standard personal computer (x86 architecture, PentiumTM, CeleronTM, AthlonTM, SempronTM) or a 64bit AMD/Intel computer. Look below.
8. Ok I have 2 computers, both of them are desktop computers. The first one is a Dell Dimension 2400 using Windows XP SP2 with Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz with 640MB of RAM. I have 6.83 GB of free space on it.
The second computer is a Dell Dimension DIMC521. It came with Windows Vista installed. It's a 32-bit operating system with 1982MB of RAM. And the processor is AMD Athlone 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10GHz.
I need to know which type of computer each computer is (standard personal computer or 64bitAMD/Intel) and which do you think installing Ubuntu on would be best. My guess is the second computer since it's newer and has more RAM.
But I need a more experienced user's opinion on this.