Im having problems installing uncompiled packages.
I can use apt, yum, synaptic rpm etc no probs but when it comes to compiling and installing packages from .tar then I struggle.
Heres what I do:
1. download the .tar file
2. decompress the .tar file (usually resulting in a folder containing the required files for the app and compilation)
3. as root, run the ./configure command.
4. as root, run the make command.
5. as root, run the make install command.
usually says installation successful but when i query the rpm with rpm -q packagename
it says that package is not installed???
Heres what I think:
1. Does the path that i am installing the package folder from matter?
2. I think there is a simple linuxism
that im not aware of that is soo simple, it is not documented (makes me feel better anyway!)
Also kinda related:
why does apt or rpm or yum never update with the latest packages? keeping up to date with vendor releases.