LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
mp100
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Posts: 43

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Installing Linux on a new hard disk


...actually an SSD. Having been encouraged by results on a virtual box (Oracle) I was intending to build another machine and make it purely Linux. But I had an idea. I am envisaging that if I connect a dedicated SSD in place of my Windows one (as drive C: in Windows parlance) I could set that up for Linux just as if I had a dedicated machine. Then if I ever need W7 I could just swap disks again. anyone see problems with that!
 
Old 09-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,845
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Swapping the hard disk drive could get old. Plus you would have to keep opening the case to connect the SSD.

It would be better to purchase an additional SSD and put Linux on it.

A desktop has multiply bays for at least 3 HDD's.

During boot you could choose which os you want to boot.
 
Old 09-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
mp100
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Posts: 43

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Swapping the hard disk drive could get old. Plus you would have to keep opening the case to connect the SSD.
Not sure what you mean by 'could get old'! Not worried about the case. I intend to keep the Windows SSD for emergencies only.
 
Old 09-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
YomenT
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Location: Cary, North Carolina, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't think that can harm the computer in any way. But if you switch between Windows and GNU/Linux then it could get annoying. But at the same time buying another SSD could be expensive. Although I don't see why you don't just have both disks in the computer. Like Ztcoracat said you should have like 3 disk slots inside your computer. If for whatever reason you can't do that then I guess you can go with your original plan. Especially if you're only using Windows for emergencies then yeah your plan should work fine.
 
Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
Dman58
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: The Danger Zone
Distribution: Slackware & everything else in a VM
Posts: 286

Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp100 View Post
...actually an SSD. Having been encouraged by results on a virtual box (Oracle) I was intending to build another machine and make it purely Linux. But I had an idea. I am envisaging that if I connect a dedicated SSD in place of my Windows one (as drive C: in Windows parlance) I could set that up for Linux just as if I had a dedicated machine. Then if I ever need W7 I could just swap disks again. anyone see problems with that!
As previously stated that would get old and annoying swapping out the drives or just disconnecting the sata cable from one drive to another. We should work smarter not harder.

Why not just dual boot since you want to keep the Windows installation? Set the boot loader to Linux as the default and your cooking with grease.
 
Old 09-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,845
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
We should work smarter not harder.
-::-I couldn't agree more-::-
 
Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
mp100
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Posts: 43

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp100 View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'could get old'! Not worried about the case. I intend to keep the Windows SSD for emergencies only.
I appreciate what's being said, but I envisage possibly never having to use the Windows disk again. It is just there as an emergency fallback for my main production machine. I already have a spare SSD. I would go for the dual boot but need to make that machine foolproof for family reasons!
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
YomenT
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Location: Cary, North Carolina, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Then yeah I'd say that the idea you have is pretty good. Since you aren't going to use the Windows disk much at all it won't hurt to just switch out the disks.
 
Old 09-18-2015, 02:59 AM   #9
Beryllos
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 314

Rep: Reputation: 123Reputation: 123
One problem with having a separate Windows drive which you plug in "for emergencies only" is keeping it current with all the bug-fixes and security updates that Windows is famous for. You might need to schedule updates at regular intervals, and a dual-boot configuration would make that easier. If you don't want the family to use Windows, disabled the Guest account and password-protect the other Windows account(s).
 
Old 09-18-2015, 03:02 AM   #10
mp100
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Posts: 43

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryllos View Post
One problem with having a separate Windows drive which you plug in "for emergencies only" is keeping it current with all the bug-fixes and security updates that Windows is famous for. You might need to schedule updates at regular intervals, and a dual-boot configuration would make that easier. If you don't want the family to use Windows, disabled the Guest account and password-protect the other Windows account(s).
Good point (although it is the pesky updates that is one of the reasons for ditching Windows. When I open up my machine in the morning I invariably need to start working at once!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Master Hard Disk Error after installing Ubuntu 8.10 - hard disk died koja Linux - Hardware 3 04-13-2009 09:44 AM
installing linux suse 10 from hard disk thunder_eagle2003 Linux - Newbie 8 03-18-2008 12:25 AM
installing linux from hard disk phoenix7 Linux - Distributions 5 03-04-2005 10:51 AM
installing linux in an external hard disk Arythan Linux - Newbie 1 08-31-2004 06:22 AM
installing linux onto second hard disk fobius Linux - Software 2 02-22-2004 02:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration