LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Sam Hobbs
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Southern California
Distribution: Damn Small Linux (DSL) for now
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,Mix in the statements with the 'XT'.
That's the problem. XT is totally irrelevant. Until you read what I said and understand that XT is irrelevant, you will always think that I am being stubborn and ignorant. If XT were relevant then everything you said would also be relevant.

I said "XT 286" just to communicate that in the past Unix (not Linux) was able to execute in 640 KB of main memory and 20 MB of hard drive space. I was only refering to the past; I never meant to say that I even considered the possibility of using Linux in a system that is so ancient.

My goodness, you people are quick to react. Look again; I never said anything about using an XT 286 now. My mistake was talking as if I still have the computer, because I do still have it, but I did not intend to say that I will use it for Linux.

In my original post I said:

Quote:
I also have a copy of Damn Small Linux (DSL) on a flash drive that works, at least in a virtual machine. My primary OS is Windows Vista.

Last edited by Sam Hobbs; 01-01-2009 at 10:22 AM.
 
Old 12-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
Sam Hobbs
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Southern California
Distribution: Damn Small Linux (DSL) for now
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
My hardware is sufficient for Vista and for DSL under QEMU under Vista. It is as preposterous to think that Linux can work in an XT 286 as it is to think that Vista could.

Are you saying that Linux might not work in my system that executes Windows Vista?

Last edited by Sam Hobbs; 01-01-2009 at 10:22 AM.
 
Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,221
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437
Ki,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
That's the problem. XT is totally irrelevant. Until you read what I said and understand that XT is irrelevant, you will always think that I am being stubborn and ignorant. If XT were relevant then everything you said would also be relevant.

I said "XT 286" just to communicate that in the past Unix (not Linux) was able to execute in 640 KB of main memory and 20 MB of hard drive space. I was only refering to the past; I never meant to say that I even considered the possibility of using Linux in a system that is so ancient.

My goodness, you people are quick to react. Look again; I never said anything about using an XT 286 now. My mistake was talking as if I still have the computer, because I do still have it, but I did not intend to say that I will use it for Linux.

In my original post I said:

My hardware is sufficient for Vista and for DSL under QEMU under Vista. It is as preposterous to think that Linux can work in an XT 286 as it is to think that Vista could.

Are you saying that Linux might not work in my system that executes Windows Vista?
Your original post;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
I will be installing Linux to learn about it and to do Linux C++ development.

I have a 1 GB partition I intend to install Linux into. I also have a copy of Damn Small Linux (DSL) on a flash drive that works, at least in a virtual machine. My primary OS is Windows Vista.

What I think I will do is to install a Debian distribution (I am open to suggestion) that I can execute in a virtual machine that is executed as needed from within Vista. In other words, I want something installed on the hard drive instad of the flash drive and that is more than DSL.

Can I install into the hard drive using the existing DSL executing in a VM (in other words, without booting from a CD)? I don't need detailed instructions but if someone can suggest what keywords to use, it is difficult for me to know what direction to go and what to read. I am happy to read instructions but I will appreciate some hints about what to read.
Where does it say "My hardware is sufficient for Vista and for DSL under QEMU under Vista. It is as preposterous to think that Linux can work in an XT 286 as it is to think that Vista could." ? Maybe that's the gist or thought between the lines but not the content.

No, I'm not saying anything about a machine that runs M$ Vista. The mis-understanding was do to the drift of the 'xt', and my interpretations of the statement. That's the first you have spoken about the 'vista' since the OP. No reaction on my part. I'm through wasting my time since this is going no where. You seem to want to banter more than get to a solution with our assistance.

BTW, GNU/Linux can be run on the 'XT', just may take a lot of work to get it done but it can be done.

That's all folks!
 
Old 01-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
Sam Hobbs
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Southern California
Distribution: Damn Small Linux (DSL) for now
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
The mis-understanding was do to the drift of the 'xt', and my interpretations of the statement. That's the first you have spoken about the 'vista' since the OP.
Yes, anyone that did not read the original post adequately enough might be confused by the XT 286 comment, but I sure thought the comment about my XT 286 was for comparison purposes only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
You seem to want to banter more than get to a solution with our assistance.
I do want help, but not help based on the assumption that I will be using an XT or XT 286.
 
  


Reply

Tags
drive, flash, install, installing, machine, virtual


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing linux in MS Virtual Machine? frankkky Linux - General 1 03-22-2008 12:18 PM
installing gentoo on virtual machine laucian Linux - General 8 03-22-2008 12:55 AM
Installing Slack in a VMWare Virtual Machine proproductions Slackware - Installation 1 11-22-2005 02:18 PM
Installing Java Virtual Machine!!!!!! orranview Linux - Newbie 1 03-13-2004 11:46 PM
Problems installing Java Virtual Machine Lord-Rashid Linux - Software 14 04-14-2003 07:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration