LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
rmcellig
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 252
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 24
Installing a new distro on an old desktop PC


I have a computer that I made myself a few years ago. The internal DVD drive does not work anymore. What are my options to install a linux distro on it. I am not able to boot from an external USB DVD drive that I have, on this machine. My understanding is that you need a CD to install Plop to inorder for it to work so that I can boot from an external USB stick?

What are my options without having to buy another DVD drive? I know I can install my .iso file to a USB stick using Unetbootin, but than what? How do I get it to boot on this machine?

Thanks!!!
 
Old 01-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
average_user
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 62
You need to enable booting from USB in BIOS, it may not be possible on old computers.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
rmcellig
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 252
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 24
This computer doesn't have that option.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
average_user
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 62
You can use PXE or remove HDD from this computer, install Linux to it on another machine and put it back

Last edited by average_user; 01-21-2015 at 10:58 AM.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 15 , Slackel 14.1, ChromeOS
Posts: 4,699
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952
http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?tit...tallation_Tips

If your homebuilt has a floppy drive in it. Plop fits on a floppy disc also.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
veerain
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Earth bound to Helios
Distribution: Custom
Posts: 2,524

Rep: Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319
Well by a internal dvd drive it's only $15-20 something.

Or unplug the hard drive put in another system and install linux.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
Teufel
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 510

Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
Attach your USB stick, reboot machine and enter BIOS. Navigate to the section where your hard drives boot order set.
Select hard drives boot order option and hit Enter. Do you have your stick mentioned in drop-down list? If it there, move it to the top, save changes and exit BIOS. If your stick has bootable live system on-board, it should start.
Or launch boot menu instead of entering BIOS. The same HDD boot options should be available in boot menu. How to launch boot menu depends on your mobo, usually it is one of F1, F2, F8-F12 or Esc keys.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
average_user
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel View Post
Attach your USB stick, reboot machine and enter BIOS. Navigate to the section where your hard drives boot order set.
Select hard drives boot order option and hit Enter. Do you have your stick mentioned in drop-down list? If it there, move it to the top, save changes and exit BIOS. If your stick has bootable live system on-board, it should start.
Or launch boot menu instead of entering BIOS. The same HDD boot options should be available in boot menu. How to launch boot menu depends on your mobo, usually it is one of F1, F2, F8-F12 or Esc keys.
In the 3rd post he said that this machine cannot boot from USB
 
Old 01-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
Teufel
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 510

Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
I saw it.
There was mentioned that computer has no option to boot from usb, but it isn't a proper way to boot from USB stick. Stick should be recognized as hard drive, not as usb device in order to allow to boot from stick

Last edited by Teufel; 01-21-2015 at 08:14 AM.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,541
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Member response

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel View Post
I saw it.
There was mentioned that computer has no option to boot from usb, but it isn't a proper way to boot from USB stick. Stick should be recognized as hard drive, not as usb device in order to allow to boot from stick
If the system does not recognize USB as a boot device then that USB ported device either a flash, HD or SDD would not boot. The IPL within BIOS would require recognition of the boot media to initialize the the Initial Program Load (IPL) in order to pass to the Secondary Program Load (SPL).

As noted by other members that if a floppy is available then using 'plop' would be a way to IPL then switch to the USB boot media. I would agree that CD/DVD replacement would be the easiest solution.

If the BIOS supports PXE then a LAN solution would be a way to get things configured. But not having a CD/DVD media is crippling period.

Hope this helps.
Have fun & enjoy!
 
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
Teufel
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 510

Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
If the system does not recognize USB as a boot device then that USB ported device either a flash, HD or SDD would not boot.
I didn't noticed that OP said that system doesn't recognize USB stick as a HDD device.
The only things he mentioned: he wasn't able to boot from USB-DVD and his BIOS lacks of "Enable USB boot" option.

Mine Gygabite mobo has no "Enable USB boot" option as well, but I can boot from stick just fine by selecting the stick as first HDD to boot from.

Why wouldn't try as I suggested? It will take few seconds only.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
fatmac
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Surrey/Hants Border, UK
Distribution: BSD & Linux - As long as they are Lightweight
Posts: 1,491

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If no floppy or optical drive, & can't boot from usb, then only 2 options, network/PXE or your hard drive temporarily inserted into another machine whilst you put Linux onto it, maybe via an external usb housing.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
Soadyheid
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Distribution: Cinnamon Mint 17.0 at present.
Posts: 1,167

Rep: Reputation: 201Reputation: 201Reputation: 201
Quote:
your hard drive temporarily inserted into another machine whilst you put Linux onto it, maybe via an external usb housing.
Just curious. Would this not create problems as the config files generated by installing Linux on a "donor" machine would not necessarily match the recipient machine unless the Mobo/CPU/chipset were the same?

I've re-planted a disk between a dead AMD/Asus Mobo and a new, but different, AMD/Asus Mobo... It worked, but I had to mess about with the boot to get it through unknown depths of Grub and Busybox to a useable state.

Play Bonny!

 
Old 01-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #14
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,541
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Member response

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel View Post
I didn't noticed that OP said that system doesn't recognize USB stick as a HDD device.
The only things he mentioned: he wasn't able to boot from USB-DVD and his BIOS lacks of "Enable USB boot" option.

Mine Gygabite mobo has no "Enable USB boot" option as well, but I can boot from stick just fine by selecting the stick as first HDD to boot from.

Why wouldn't try as I suggested? It will take few seconds only.
OP stated in post #3 in reference/response to post # 2. Read the whole thread! In response was the option to recognize the USB as boot device setup in BIOS device list.

I personally would replace the CD/DVD ROM as that will enhance any usage of the machine having that media available.
Hope this helps.
Have fun & enjoy!
 
Old 01-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
average_user
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
I personally would replace the CD/DVD ROM as that will enhance any usage of the machine having that media available.
Really? I don't remember when I used CD last time. USB sticks are much better these days if you want to move your data around offline. Internet is so fast and it's everywhere plus almost everyone has a router. I wouldn't get a CD drive because I wouldn't use it.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pen testing Distro / Desktop Distro codeman1234 Linux - Desktop 7 09-12-2013 08:12 PM
Installing a linux-distro remote desktop on an already remote debian server... errr? Sabinou Linux - Newbie 2 04-26-2012 06:29 PM
Is FreeBSD a server distro or a desktop distro with good server capatabilities? matthew5 *BSD 16 06-06-2006 04:11 PM
What distro to use for Desktop use? No serving..desktop use. JoeLinux Linux - Distributions 3 04-01-2002 07:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration