LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
gardenair
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: LH
Posts: 610

Rep: Reputation: 31
Installation through FTP


I am using Fedora and want to install through FTP on my client machine.I completely copy the contents of fedora dvd into /var/ftp/pub.
Then Restart vsftpd server.

The problem is when the client connect through FTP I.E (boot:linux askmethod) for installation process.After assigning key board ,Language IP address, Just after

Code:
FTP setup 

FTP Site Name: 192.168.1.10
Fedora Directoty:/pub
By pressing Ok it show

Unable to retrieve
ftp://192.168.1.10//pub/images/stage2.img


I can ping the client computer from the server.THe firewall is disable as well.

Kindly guide me how can I fix it?
thanks,
garden
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,926

Rep: Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenair View Post
I am using Fedora and want to install through FTP on my client machine.I completely copy the contents of fedora dvd into /var/ftp/pub. Then Restart vsftpd server.

The problem is when the client connect through FTP I.E (boot:linux askmethod) for installation process.After assigning key board ,Language IP address, Just after
Code:
FTP setup 
FTP Site Name: 192.168.1.10
Fedora Directoty:/pub
By pressing Ok it show
Unable to retrieve ftp://192.168.1.10//pub/images/stage2.img

I can ping the client computer from the server.THe firewall is disable as well.
Well, first thing to check is to make sure that you can log in from another computer that's on the same subnet as the machine you're trying to build. You should also be able to (once you're connected with your FTP client), type in "cd /pub", and see the file name specified there. If you can't do any of those things, you're not set up correctly.

And did you try to check the Fedora docs, where all of the steps are outlined in great detail, with pictures, on how to set this up and troubleshoot it?
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...aring-x86.html
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...talls-x86.html
 
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
gardenair
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: LH
Posts: 610

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Thanks for the detail reply.well there are few things i want to clea.
The installation server has contents of fedora 7 under
/var/ftp/pub
I keep all contents inside pub dir and restart the vsftpd service.this means i have full controll on my installation server.
As concern to subnet both have same subnet
Server:192.168.1.10 / 255.255.255.0
Client: 192.168.1.20 / 255.255.255.0
How can i get a prompt which running ftp methos as mentionded i my previous post.
thanks
garden
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,926

Rep: Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenair View Post
Thanks for the detail reply.well there are few things i want to clea.
The installation server has contents of fedora 7 under
/var/ftp/pub
Again, Fedora 7 is VERY old. Installing such old OS'es is a BAD IDEA....
Quote:
I keep all contents inside pub dir and restart the vsftpd service.this means i have full controll on my installation server.
Great...did you look for the file mentioned in the error message? Is it THERE? What are the permissions on it?
Quote:
As concern to subnet both have same subnet
Server:192.168.1.10 / 255.255.255.0
Client: 192.168.1.20 / 255.255.255.0
How can i get a prompt which running ftp methos as mentionded i my previous post.
Again, you get another computer. You type in "ftp <server address>" and press ENTER. Log in. And again, you need to READ the very detailed instructions from the Fedora forums, which TELL YOU how to set this up and troubleshoot it.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware FTP installation: the FTP server IP jaakkop Slackware 2 06-09-2005 10:11 AM
Installation Via Ftp chandu Linux - General 3 10-28-2004 01:37 PM
installation via ftp N_A_J_M Linux - Networking 3 11-20-2002 03:05 AM
installation via ftp N_A_J_M Linux - General 1 11-17-2002 10:27 PM
RH 7.1 FTP installation help please?? chris Linux - Software 0 11-27-2001 05:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration