LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
vibinlakshman
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Kerala, India
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 334

Rep: Reputation: 33
Cool Installation question please ...


I need to reinstall windows xp , i have ubuntu too , i had installed windows first then ubuntu , forgot which is in MBR , i dont knw either it is GRUB or windows boot loader
When i reinstall windows xp , will it make any problem to my ubuntu, i'm supposed to install in earlier windows location itself
Please help ..
 
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
rtrahan
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Distribution: OpenSuse Fedora
Posts: 64

Rep: Reputation: 17
For a dual-boot always install Windows first..is that what you are asking?
 
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 12,275

Rep: Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028
XP will replace the loader in the MBR. No big deal - you can re-install grub easily enough after the event. Your Ubuntu system will still be there, but you won't be able to access it directly after the XP re-install.
 
Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
vibinlakshman
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Kerala, India
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 334

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
XP will replace the loader in the MBR. No big deal - you can re-install grub easily enough after the event. Your Ubuntu system will still be there, but you won't be able to access it directly after the XP re-install.
How can i access my ubuntu then .. ? Shud anything done in MBR , please help me to perform , i dont knw much about MBR , or grub reinstall , that kind of words
 
Old 02-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
vibinlakshman
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Kerala, India
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 334

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrahan View Post
For a dual-boot always install Windows first..is that what you are asking?
I was supposed to reinstall ..Still having ubutntu in another partition
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
ic_torres
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ABAP
Distribution: slackware 12.0, Vector Linux STD 6.0 and 5.8, ZenWalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9
Posts: 389

Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibinlakshman View Post
I was supposed to reinstall ..Still having ubutntu in another partition

if you reinstall windows with ubuntu still existing, xp will over write your MBR so your boot loader (whether grub or lilo) will be gone. BUT your ubuntu is still available. you have just to reinstall your boot loader via using the ubuntu install cd.. (if i am saying it right) i have done this before. . .
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
alan_ri
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: Croatia
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux
Posts: 1,733
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
Reinstall XP,then reinstall Ubuntu.Problem solved.
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 22,978
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 879Reputation: 879Reputation: 879Reputation: 879Reputation: 879Reputation: 879Reputation: 879
And a quick note on the usage of English words:

Please compare
http://www.dictionary.net/doubt
http://www.dictionary.net/question

Thanks...


Cheers,
Tink


P.S.: I took the liberty to rename your thread to reflect
the different meanings explained above.
 
Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
jonny5tails
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: Chilliwack, BC
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon/Hardy-Alpha4
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1
Wink

Hi vibi,
Not sure why you feel you need to re-install windows (care to explain?). If not, here is the definitive & easiest way to restore your Grub. I think I got it from Ubuntu Forums...You might want to try this before re-installing anything!!!

How to restore Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.
This will restore grub if you already had grub installed but lost it to a windows install or some other occurence that erased/changed your MBR so that grub no longer appears at start up or it returns an error.

(This how to is written for Ubuntu but should work on other systems. The only thing to take note of, when you see "sudo" that will mean to you that the following command should be entered at a root terminal.)

Boot into the live Ubuntu cd. This can be the live installer cd or the older live session Ubuntu cds.

When you get to the desktop open a terminal and enter. (I am going to give you the commands and then I will explain them later)

Code:

sudo grub

This will get you a "grub>" prompt (i.e. the grub shell). At grub>. enter these commands

Code:

find /boot/grub/stage1

This will return a location. If you have more than one, select the installation that you want to provide the grub files.
Next, THIS IS IMPORTANT, whatever was returned for the find command use it in the next line (you are still at grub>. when you enter the next 3 commands)

Code:

root (hd?,?)

Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned (hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)

Next enter the command to install grub to the mbr

Code:

setup (hd0)

Finally exit the grub shell
Code:

quit

That is it. Grub will be installed to the mbr.
When you reboot, you will have the grub menu at startup.

Good Luck

Last edited by jonny5tails; 02-19-2009 at 11:28 PM.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
vibinlakshman
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Kerala, India
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 334

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5tails View Post
Hi vibi,
Not sure why you feel you need to re-install windows (care to explain?). If not, here is the definitive & easiest way to restore your Grub. I think I got it from Ubuntu Forums...You might want to try this before re-installing anything!!!

How to restore Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.
This will restore grub if you already had grub installed but lost it to a windows install or some other occurence that erased/changed your MBR so that grub no longer appears at start up or it returns an error.

(This how to is written for Ubuntu but should work on other systems. The only thing to take note of, when you see "sudo" that will mean to you that the following command should be entered at a root terminal.)

Boot into the live Ubuntu cd. This can be the live installer cd or the older live session Ubuntu cds.

When you get to the desktop open a terminal and enter. (I am going to give you the commands and then I will explain them later)

Code:

sudo grub

This will get you a "grub>" prompt (i.e. the grub shell). At grub>. enter these commands

Code:

find /boot/grub/stage1

This will return a location. If you have more than one, select the installation that you want to provide the grub files.
Next, THIS IS IMPORTANT, whatever was returned for the find command use it in the next line (you are still at grub>. when you enter the next 3 commands)

Code:

root (hd?,?)

Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned (hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)

Next enter the command to install grub to the mbr

Code:

setup (hd0)

Finally exit the grub shell
Code:

quit

That is it. Grub will be installed to the mbr.
When you reboot, you will have the grub menu at startup.

Good Luck
Oh man u were so good , I got it .. Will perform it
 
  


Reply

Tags
boot, dual, grub, reinstalling


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installation Question k1ll3r_x Slackware - Installation 3 10-01-2004 06:33 PM
Installation question satimis Debian 1 09-11-2004 07:03 PM
Installation question ChillyWilly Linux - Newbie 1 05-17-2004 08:45 AM
Installation question spidey_kid2002 Linux - Newbie 1 04-10-2004 08:44 PM
Installation Question tread101 Linux - Newbie 2 02-29-2004 06:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration