LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2006, 03:41 AM   #16
gregorian
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 509

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34

I created the folder and put the files in:/usr/local/lib/codecs/ Still I get the same codec not found error message. How am I supposed to determine which folder my MPlayer uses? Also I have already downloaded the essential codecs packages. How can I get the files which are there in the all codecs packages but which are not there in the essential codecs package?

Also for soem reason flash sounds are not playing in the browser although the animations are visible. How can I solve this problem?

Thank you.
 
Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 AM   #17
drkstr
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA: USA
Distribution: Slackware 11.0
Posts: 1,191

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
I created the folder and put the files in:/usr/local/lib/codecs/ Still I get the same codec not found error message. How am I supposed to determine which folder my MPlayer uses?
That is the folder MPlayer uses. Make sure all of the codecs packages are in that root directory and not in the subfolder you extracted them to. You will then need to recompile MPlayer from the beginning once you have all the codecs in the right place.

Quote:
Also I have already downloaded the essential codecs packages. How can I get the files which are there in the all codecs packages but which are not there in the essential codecs package?
There is no package that just contains the diffrences (at lest I don't think there is). JUst download the all-codec package.

Quote:
Also for soem reason flash sounds are not playing in the browser although the animations are visible. How can I solve this problem?
See my thread here

regards,
...drkstr
 
Old 06-02-2006, 06:44 AM   #18
gregorian
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 509

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkstr

That is the folder MPlayer uses. Make sure all of the codecs packages are in that root directory and not in the subfolder you extracted them to. You will then need to recompile MPlayer from the beginning once you have all the codecs in the right place.

There is no package that just contains the diffrences (at lest I don't think there is). JUst download the all-codec package.
I downloaded it and extracted the files into the required folder. As you asked, I reinstalled MPlayer. Nothing happened. I got the same error. Are you sure that I installed that in the right folder? I installed using an RPM.

Here is an extract from the README. May I know what $prefix is?

Quote:
Put the files contained in this archive in a directory where MPlayer will find
them. The default directory is /usr/local/lib/codecs/ ($prefix/lib/codecs/) if
you are compiling from source, but you can change that value by passing the
'--with-codecsdir' option to './configure'.

If you use a prebuilt MPlayer package it will most likely be /usr/lib/codecs,
see the documentation of your package for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkstr
See my thread here

regards,
...drkstr
It works. Thanks.

Last edited by gregorian; 06-02-2006 at 06:58 AM.
 
Old 06-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #19
drkstr
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA: USA
Distribution: Slackware 11.0
Posts: 1,191

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
I downloaded it and extracted the files into the required folder. As you asked, I reinstalled MPlayer. Nothing happened. I got the same error. Are you sure that I installed that in the right folder? I installed using an RPM.
MPlayer has to be recompiled from the source when new codecs are added. I am not sure how the rpm build was built but it looks like it was not configured to use all of the codecs. YOu will need to download the source from MPlayer and build it according to the directions in the README.

Quote:
Here is an extract from the README. May I know what $prefix is?
$prefix is the install directory you pass to the ./configure when you build from the source. You would define it with
Code:
./configure --prefix=<directory>
the default is '/usr/local' which is used if no prefix is given.

regards,
...drkstr
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mplayer Installation problem waelaltaqi Linux - Software 6 12-01-2005 04:39 PM
mplayer installation problem darkangel29 Linux - Newbie 7 12-17-2004 12:32 AM
MPlayer installation problem on SUSE 9.1 rayesteq Linux - Software 10 08-30-2004 09:26 AM
Mplayer Installation Problem! novkhan Linux - Software 5 04-20-2004 04:08 AM
mplayer installation problem captainchainsaw Linux - Software 4 10-29-2002 04:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration