LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Torben Friis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 69

Rep: Reputation: 15
Install Mandriva: No cdrom device found


Hi,
After about a week's work I have a downloaded a dvd with Mandriva 2009 Free that will boot the comp. from a Lite-On Tech. Corp. model DVDRW SHW-16355 and start installation (if it is slave - if it is master I get nowhere). But immediately I get the message: No cdrom device found.
Any ideas?
regards
torben friis
 
Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,615
Blog Entries: 26

Rep: Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986
Hi,

I would check the md5sum. If you downloaded the cd/dvd iso then be sure to check the md5sum for the original iso. From the cli;

Code:
~#cd /downloadisolocation      #cdromiso.iso cdromiso.md5 

~#md5sum -c cdromiso.md5       #substitute the correct name to check
If the iso md5 is ok then you should try 'CdromMd5sumsAfterBurning''.

This way you will know if the burn was OK!

This will check the download iso with the known md5sum that you also get with the iso.

This link and others are available from 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
 
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
alirezan1
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Distribution: Ubunty, CentOS ,Mandriva, Gentoo, RedHat, Fedora, Knoppix
Posts: 150

Rep: Reputation: 15
Yes md5sum check is a great idea. But I found that Mandriva's first editions (i.e. 2008.0 and 2009.0) are really unstable. I usually download the spring editions which are WAY better and more stable.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
Torben Friis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

I would check the md5sum. If you downloaded the cd/dvd iso then be sure to check the md5sum for the original iso. From the cli;

Code:
~#cd /downloadisolocation      #cdromiso.iso cdromiso.md5 

~#md5sum -c cdromiso.md5       #substitute the correct name to check
If the iso md5 is ok then you should try 'CdromMd5sumsAfterBurning''.

This way you will know if the burn was OK!

This will check the download iso with the known md5sum that you also get with the iso.

This link and others are available from 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
Hi OneBuck,
I will follow your proposals.
I succeeded in downloading a DVD twice (Indiana) and got the same md5sum - I thought that was OK. Apparently it is'nt.
Normally the download stops before end - whether I use IE (with a message of a limit being passed) or Firefox (6-10 % - no message). So the first problem is to get a full download of DVD.
I wonder what goes wrong?
regards torben friis
 
Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
mikieboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Warrington, Cheshire, UK
Distribution: Linux Mint 12 LXDE
Posts: 555

Rep: Reputation: 33
Originally posted by alirezan1:

Quote:
But I found that Mandriva's first editions (i.e. 2008.0 and 2009.0) are really unstable. I usually download the spring editions which are WAY better and more stable.
This is a fair point as Mandriva is a bleeding edge distro and is always going to ship with some bugs (cf. Debian Sid). That's why you should run the software update straight after installation as most of the bug fixes will already be there. However, that is a stability issue not an installation issue and may not be the cause of the OP's problem.

I wonder if the problem is to do with the OP downloading Mandriva Free which only contains Open Source hardware drivers. I personally prefer the Mandriva One version as the compromise of using a few proprietary drivers solves many hardware issues.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,615
Blog Entries: 26

Rep: Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Friis View Post
Hi OneBuck,
I will follow your proposals.
I succeeded in downloading a DVD twice (Indiana) and got the same md5sum - I thought that was OK. Apparently it is'nt.
Normally the download stops before end - whether I use IE (with a message of a limit being passed) or Firefox (6-10 % - no message). So the first problem is to get a full download of DVD.
I wonder what goes wrong?
regards torben friis
You should try 'WS_FTP-LE' as a good FTP client. You should not experience the problems with 'FTP' that you are having with 'HTTP'.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Torben Friis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,


You should try 'WS_FTP-LE' as a good FTP client. You should not experience the problems with 'FTP' that you are having with 'HTTP'.
Hi onebuck,
I will try that too, but for the record I Will describe what has happened lately.
I have downloaded several times from Indiana University. I have changed KeepAliveTimeout and ServerInfoTimeout to 3 min. and disabled HTTP.1 Proxy Server and the download runs to its end. I get the same md5sum (9352........c6f8 every time), but not the one indicated for ftp.lib6.fr (c867.....362B).
I have tried to download from tp.lib6.fr, but the download is interrupted by the message (transl. from french): Time allocated for the operation exceeded (in spite of the above mentioned changes).
I have downloaded from ramses.wh2.tu-dresden.de (fast) and get md5sum af4d......1ea7. again diff. from Indiana and ftp.lib6.fr.
Either I have misunderstood something or downloading of Mandriva 2009 Free is impossible.
I can install Mandriva 2008 Spring from the DVD I got from a magazine without problems.
Do you know what is wrong?
regards
torben friis
 
Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Torben Friis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
FTP client

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Friis View Post
Hi onebuck,
I will try that too, but for the record I Will describe what has happened lately.
I have downloaded several times from Indiana University. I have changed KeepAliveTimeout and ServerInfoTimeout to 3 min. and disabled HTTP.1 Proxy Server and the download runs to its end. I get the same md5sum (9352........c6f8 every time), but not the one indicated for ftp.lib6.fr (c867.....362B).
I have tried to download from tp.lib6.fr, but the download is interrupted by the message (transl. from french): Time allocated for the operation exceeded (in spite of the above mentioned changes).
I have downloaded from ramses.wh2.tu-dresden.de (fast) and get md5sum af4d......1ea7. again diff. from Indiana and ftp.lib6.fr.
Either I have misunderstood something or downloading of Mandriva 2009 Free is impossible.
I can install Mandriva 2008 Spring from the DVD I got from a magazine without problems.
Do you know what is wrong?
regards
torben friis
I have tried the ftp client. Easy, and I understand it offers more facilities. But when I enter the ftp address for dresden (fx.) picked from LinuxQuestions.org "ramses.wh2.tu-dresden.de" (without prefixing it "ftp://"), I am told that it cannot be found on the net. My fault?
regards
torben friis
 
Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Torben Friis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Friis View Post
I have tried the ftp client. Easy, and I understand it offers more facilities. But when I enter the ftp address for dresden (fx.) picked from LinuxQuestions.org "ramses.wh2.tu-dresden.de" (without prefixing it "ftp://"), I am told that it cannot be found on the net. My fault?
regards
torben friis
I also tried lftp under mandriva with"ramses.wh2.tu-dresden.de" "ramses.wh2.tu-dresden.de". I find the file and issue "get", but get "550 failed to open file". But is'nt that the file I could download earlier - albeit with wrong md5sum?
regards
torben friis
 
Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #10
mogrady
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Distribution: Ubuntu, Xbuntu, Puppy, XP Pro
Posts: 111

Rep: Reputation: 15
CMOS Battery

Now I know this sounds like a strange solution but let me run through it, add a bit of logic, and it is like a 3 or 4 buck gamble.

If you have set the boot orders etc. in the bios correctly and the cables are okay, the bios, if it is running under a weak battery may not be functioning correctly. These is just a hunch, but . . .

In older computers I have solved many problems with a new battery. I dunno that much about the internal workings of the bios but it has worked at least a dozen times for me on the most frustrating of problems.

Mandriva is sweet when it works, impossible when it doesn't. You might look at PCLinuxOS 2007 for a workable Mandriva based distro. It works great although it is no speed demon.

Good luck, Michael
 
Old 11-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,615
Blog Entries: 26

Rep: Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986Reputation: 1986
Hi,

Once the machine is booted the BIOS battery is out of the question if the settings are correct. If the battery is weak then of course when you power down without standby power then the settings will be lost. Once you setup your BIOS properly then POST to a OS the BIOS battery is out of the question until you power down completely again. Remove power completely, since most modern system have a standby.

Yes, you should replace your BIOS battery over a extended use period. I've had systems that did not require a replacement for several years. I've got a system that does small services that is well over ten years old without a BIOS replacement battery. So use and environment plays a roll.
 
Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
Agrouf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: France
Distribution: LFS
Posts: 1,591

Rep: Reputation: 79
This is a download issue it seems.
Why don't you try to download the torrent? Faster and more reliable.
 
Old 11-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Torben Friis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrouf View Post
This is a download issue it seems.
Why don't you try to download the torrent? Faster and more reliable.
Hi,
Everything has been very confusing, and somehow I did'nt find the correct Mandriva/ktorrent.
But I finally did succeed in downloadong Mandriva 2009 using SmartFTP (Win) and lftp (Linux) - md5 check OK. I have created a dvd using ImgBurn. I hav'nt figured out how to install/use udftools to create large dvd under Linux.
My desk top won't boot from the dvd even though the dvd (DVDRW SHV-16355 from Lite-on) is seen by Mandriva 2008 and even though the Konqueror screen showing the dvd and contents comes up when insertng the dvd (/media/hdd) and I can find it by double-clicking "Support de stock..." on the desktop. I can't find the file (neither by find nor by ls). So again the problem is the boot (No CDROM device found).
I dont think the BIOS is the problem, because I can start installation with my 2008 DVD from a magazine.
In a couple of days I will see how the DVD performs in my portable.
I will be back then
regards
torben friis
 
Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #14
Torben Friis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Friis View Post
Hi,
Everything has been very confusing, and somehow I did'nt find the correct Mandriva/ktorrent.
But I finally did succeed in downloadong Mandriva 2009 using SmartFTP (Win) and lftp (Linux) - md5 check OK. I have created a dvd using ImgBurn. I hav'nt figured out how to install/use udftools to create large dvd under Linux.
My desk top won't boot from the dvd even though the dvd (DVDRW SHV-16355 from Lite-on) is seen by Mandriva 2008 and even though the Konqueror screen showing the dvd and contents comes up when insertng the dvd (/media/hdd) and I can find it by double-clicking "Support de stock..." on the desktop. I can't find the file (neither by find nor by ls). So again the problem is the boot (No CDROM device found).
I dont think the BIOS is the problem, because I can start installation with my 2008 DVD from a magazine.
In a couple of days I will see how the DVD performs in my portable.
I will be back then
regards
torben friis
Hi,
It will boot on my portable
regards
torben
 
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #15
Torben Friis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Friis View Post
Hi,
It will boot on my portable
regards
torben
Hi,
I installed on my portable. When I start Mandriva 2009, it runs for a while (graphic (progression bar) and some text (everything seems OK)), then it stops with just a blinking curser on the screen. Nothing more happens. If I press Alt-F1 I get the terminal and I can login and then halt. Graphics come back and the system stops normally.
I can't see that I ha&ve done anything wrong.
regards
torben
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet another 10.1 install - 'NO CDROM DEVICE FOUND' Milo4t Mandriva 3 03-15-2005 04:42 AM
No CDROM Device Found Mandrake 10 to3t3r Mandriva 3 02-09-2005 12:38 PM
Installing 10.0 from CD => No cdrom device found Paulbreeuwsma Mandriva 6 01-19-2005 01:49 PM
Mandrake 10 Install issue: No cdrom device found squidnet Mandriva 5 09-15-2004 01:40 PM
no cdrom device found infinity432 Linux - Hardware 1 11-03-2003 06:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration