LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
kingroudy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Post install driver for geforce Fx 5200


my distro is ubuntu 7.04 and i managed to dual boot it with XP after i ruined my pc
i have a problem with the screen resolution and refresh rate, a small part of the screen (1/2 inch of the left of the screen) is just black, i tried to change reso and refresh rate till i found that 800*600 with 60 hz fits good but is very bad for the eyes:S


bottom line, i want to install nvidia driver (and then beryl) i found here that i have to edit the file XF86Config (in fact xorg.conf) but it is read only:S

how do i make it read write and rewrite??
to shut down the x server, i saw that i should type this: [root@localhost *****]# init 3
is this what i should type exactly???or should i replace the stars with something else or what??

help a
and i knew from very few days why people tend to buy windows, it is JUST EASIER (clicking on next next next .... finish is much easier than editing and then editing back and then writing codes:S)
HELP!
 
Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
Distribution: Mageia 5, Linux Lite
Posts: 4,312

Rep: Reputation: 209Reputation: 209Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingroudy
my distro is ubuntu 7.04 and i managed to dual boot it with XP after i ruined my pc
i have a problem with the screen resolution and refresh rate, a small part of the screen (1/2 inch of the left of the screen) is just black, i tried to change reso and refresh rate till i found that 800*600 with 60 hz fits good but is very bad for the eyes:S


bottom line, i want to install nvidia driver (and then beryl) i found here that i have to edit the file XF86Config (in fact xorg.conf) but it is read only:S

how do i make it read write and rewrite??
to shut down the x server, i saw that i should type this: [root@localhost *****]# init 3
is this what i should type exactly???or should i replace the stars with something else or what??

help a
and i knew from very few days why people tend to buy windows, it is JUST EASIER (clicking on next next next .... finish is much easier than editing and then editing back and then writing codes:S)
HELP!
Google is your friend: http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/...st-nvidia.html
 
Old 06-30-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
kingroudy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)

this is what i got after i typed the first line of code that i have been asked to write in the link u gave my friend.
what should i do next?
 
Old 07-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
Distribution: Mageia 5, Linux Lite
Posts: 4,312

Rep: Reputation: 209Reputation: 209Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingroudy
E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)

this is what i got after i typed the first line of code that i have been asked to write in the link u gave my friend.
what should i do next?
Did you edit your source list?
 
Old 07-04-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
kingroudy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
i think i'm lost. what can i do to reset the source list to the default setting.
 
Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
Distribution: Mageia 5, Linux Lite
Posts: 4,312

Rep: Reputation: 209Reputation: 209Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingroudy
i think i'm lost. what can i do to reset the source list to the default setting.
There's a guide here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
or
http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/06/2...ies-on-ubuntu/
or
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...es/CommandLine

Read through the instructions to gain an understanding of what you are attempting to do and why you are doing it.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Geforce FX 5200 driver problem in FC6 goens Fedora 9 03-17-2007 04:07 AM
driver for Geforce Fx 5200 zexter Linux - Games 8 11-05-2004 01:29 PM
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 Driver Problem On SuSE 9.1 DozenEggs Linux - Hardware 0 07-24-2004 12:29 AM
Updating Driver For Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 DozenEggs Linux - Hardware 2 07-17-2004 10:25 PM
GeForce FX 5200, Mandrake 9.1, nVidia Driver trouble - HELP! Chrisguy18 Linux - Software 11 01-08-2004 09:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration