LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #16
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,729

Rep: Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanasius View Post
Should I not overwrite the old partition? I just find it strange that it is suddenly unable to detect these hardware components when it was able to do so before. Should I just try to go ahead with it anyways?
yes, if you can overwrite the old partitions and are sure that is what your are overwriting you should.
My point being more that the install procedure is the same regardless of any aborted or other installs -- make sure partitions are there and install into them.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #17
athanasius
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
yes, if you can overwrite the old partitions and are sure that is what your are overwriting you should.
My point being more that the install procedure is the same regardless of any aborted or other installs -- make sure partitions are there and install into them.
OK, thank you for clarifying. In my current spot in the install, I am seeing a screen that informs me:
"No ethernet card was detected. If you know the name of the driver needed by your ethernet card, you can select it from the list".

I was unable to determine my driver via googling. Should I go ahead by selecting "no ethernet card"?

Thanks for all the help. My apologies if this is tedious.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,729

Rep: Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918Reputation: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanasius View Post
OK, thank you for clarifying. In my current spot in the install, I am seeing a screen that informs me:
"No ethernet card was detected. If you know the name of the driver needed by your ethernet card, you can select it from the list".

I was unable to determine my driver via googling. Should I go ahead by selecting "no ethernet card"?

Thanks for all the help. My apologies if this is tedious.
How did you install the first time? The hjardware has not changed so why is this news to you?
 
Old 08-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #19
athanasius
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
How did you install the first time? The hjardware has not changed so why is this news to you?
Oops, I guess I was unclear in my OP. This is the reason for my disquiet. Prior to the cancelled install, this did not occur. Now, after the cancelled install, it occurs whenever I begin the installation. So it seems as if something has changed.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #20
goumba
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 1,161
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanasius View Post
Yes, everything is the same. I'm not sure this is an issue of something from the debian image, as there was no sign of any problem before the failed install.


I currently looking at my partitions from within gparted. How can tell which to format and which to leave alone? Thank you for your patience.


I may go ahead and try that other image anyway, but considering I didn't have this problem before the install I'm not sure if it would be of help.


Thanks again for the help, everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanasius View Post
Should I not overwrite the old partition? I just find it strange that it is suddenly unable to detect these hardware components when it was able to do so before. Should I just try to go ahead with it anyways?
Running from USB is funny. Believe it or not, how the flash drive is sitting in the port will affect its reliability. I've been through this, getting kernel panics on boot, to find that if I just wiggled the stick a bit and rebooted, the panic went away.

Just format the existing Linux partitions when installing. The only partition you really do not want to touch is the EFI Boot partition, it's usually the smallest one there on the order of 100-200MB, or thereabouts.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #21
athanasius
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by goumba View Post
Running from USB is funny. Believe it or not, how the flash drive is sitting in the port will affect its reliability. I've been through this, getting kernel panics on boot, to find that if I just wiggled the stick a bit and rebooted, the panic went away.

Just format the existing Linux partitions when installing. The only partition you really do not want to touch is the EFI Boot partition, it's usually the smallest one there on the order of 100-200MB, or thereabouts.
So, just to confirm- I should go ahead without selecting ethernet drivers, etc? Hopefully this is just down to something like a USB hiccup.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
goumba
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 1,161
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
If you have no ethernet device, then there's no need to select one.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #23
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,652
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanasius View Post
So, just to confirm- I should go ahead without selecting ethernet drivers, etc? Hopefully this is just down to something like a USB hiccup.
Yes, as long as you don't have a ethernet (wired connection)

After you installation is complete if the wifi doesn't work you can always find the driver for it in the debian package search for you wireless card.-

You'll just have to run a simple command that will tell us what wifi card you have but you should start another thread for that.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
athanasius
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by goumba View Post
If you have no ethernet device, then there's no need to select one.
Well, I believe that I have one- unless this message didn't show up on the first run for some reason. In any event, I have proceeded, but now I cannot advance past configuring the package manager.

Regardless of which mirror I select, I get "bad archive mirror". This did not happen earlier. I am using a tether, but that seems to be my only option at the moment, owing to the absence of an ethernet port on this machine.

Virtual kernel 4 tells me that "mirror does not support the specified release(stretch)". This also did not happen prior to the failed install.


What should I do at this point? Thanks for all the help- you are a lifesaver.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #25
goumba
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 1,161
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
I had that once, was a network issue, not a mirror issue.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...=80657#p511231

Seems similar to your problem, maybe try some of those suggestions.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #26
descendant_command
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,486

Rep: Reputation: 390Reputation: 390Reputation: 390Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanasius View Post
Well, I believe that I have one- unless this message didn't show up on the first run for some reason. In any event, I have proceeded, but now I cannot advance past configuring the package manager.

Regardless of which mirror I select, I get "bad archive mirror". This did not happen earlier. I am using a tether, but that seems to be my only option at the moment, owing to the absence of an ethernet port on this machine.

Virtual kernel 4 tells me that "mirror does not support the specified release(stretch)". This also did not happen prior to the failed install.
Well if it doesn't have an ethernet port it is very unlikely to have a vestigial ethernet device.
You're trying to do a net-install via your phone connected by usb?

Why not just get a full installer image then set up the network (and apt-mirrors) later.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #27
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,671

Rep: Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454Reputation: 2454
athanasius, you do realize everyone on this forum has made a number of huge mistakes before. Don't think you are the only one. The best people here have made almost every mistake once or twice.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #28
athanasius
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by goumba View Post
I had that once, was a network issue, not a mirror issue.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...=80657#p511231

Seems similar to your problem, maybe try some of those suggestions.
Thanks again for the help. By following one of the suggestions(running network config again) I was able to successfully connect to a mirror. However, once it actually begins to install files, I get the following:

Grub installation failed

"The 'grub-efi-ia32' package failed to install into /target/"

How should I proceed from here?
 
Old 08-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #29
goumba
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 1,161
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
athanasius, you do realize everyone on this forum has made a number of huge mistakes before. Don't think you are the only one. The best people here have made almost every mistake once or twice.
Indeed, that's how we're able to give the answers, because we've already learned the hard way as well.
 
Old 08-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #30
athanasius
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by descendant_command View Post
Well if it doesn't have an ethernet port it is very unlikely to have a vestigial ethernet device.
You're trying to do a net-install via your phone connected by usb?

Why not just get a full installer image then set up the network (and apt-mirrors) later.

Well, seeing as I am already here(and have sufficient mobile data), I wouldn't mind just going through with it this way, if possible. If not, that seems like the best course of action.

---------- Post added 08-08-15 at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by goumba View Post
Indeed, that's how we're able to give the answers, because we've already learned the hard way as well.
Yeah, the OP may have been a little bit hysterical. I was worried I had somehow managed to brick my machine in a moment of stupidity, so I was a little perturbed.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Incredible Times, Incredible Technology LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-29-2010 01:20 PM
LXer: Wallpapers Clocks Are Incredible, Install Wallpaper Clock in Ubuntu Maverick Easily LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-19-2010 11:21 PM
How to install CentOS for a total idiot generalachoo Linux - Software 3 10-29-2007 08:13 AM
WU-FTP install for idiot ... help please dcorwin822 Linux - Software 4 11-06-2003 08:24 AM
How do I install from source... idiot's version... ScrewMicrosoft Linux - General 3 09-29-2003 10:49 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration