LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   If user enters wrong password more than 3 times sysytem gets Locked. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/if-user-enters-wrong-password-more-than-3-times-sysytem-gets-locked-657088/)

ymr_raghu 07-21-2008 01:17 AM

If user enters wrong password more than 3 times sysytem gets Locked.
 
How to unlock the user Password.

linuxlover.chaitanya 07-21-2008 01:35 AM

What distro are you using?
Still if you need to remove the user password,
You need to log in using root
then passwd <username>
just press twice

The user will have no password.

FranDango 07-21-2008 06:21 PM

This depends on the system settings. You either have to wait for some amount of time before trying again, or you have to reboot the system.

Usually you would call the system administrator - unless your the system administrator, in that case it's a silly situation.

Linux Archive

ymr_raghu 07-22-2008 05:42 AM

Thanks.
 
Thank you for your suggestion.

ymr_raghu 07-22-2008 06:10 AM

Thanks.Is there any command to see what are all the servers installed in that System
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxlover.chaitanya (Post 3221177)
What distro are you using?
Still if you need to remove the user password,
You need to log in using root
then passwd <username>
just press twice

The user will have no password.

How to check what are all the servers intalled in that pc.(by ports like DNS-53 etc).OR How to list the already installed servers in tht PC.How to add next or new threads in the Linux Questions.orgDont feel bad.I am newer to this field.

XavierP 07-22-2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ymr_raghu (Post 3222429)
How to add next or new threads in the Linux Questions.orgDont feel bad.I am newer to this field.

In every forum, at the top, there is a button named "New Thread". Click that to create a new thread.

trickykid 07-22-2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ymr_raghu (Post 3221169)
How to unlock the user Password.

You don't have to reset the password as mentioned or reboot. I'd be damned if I get locked out of a production system and it requires a reboot in order to get back in, that would be the dumbest design ever. Same with resetting of the password. You just need to reset the user with the faillog command.

faillog -r <username>

That will reset the fail attempts and the user can resume logging in.

man faillog for more details.

ymr_raghu 07-23-2008 01:50 AM

Thanks.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ymr_raghu (Post 3222429)
How to check what are all the servers intalled in that pc.(by ports like DNS-53 etc).OR How to list the already installed servers in tht PC.How to add next or new threads in the Linux Questions.orgDont feel bad.I am newer to this field.

Thank you sir.

filex 09-03-2008 10:54 AM

It should be "faillog -u username -r" and NOT "faillog -r username" OR "faillog -r -u username"

Please refer to http://www.planetmy.com/blog/faillog...f-single-user/

filex 09-03-2008 11:01 AM

It should be "faillog -u username -r" and NOT "faillog -r username" OR "faillog -r -u username"

Please refer to http://www.planetmy.com/blog/faillog...f-single-user/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.