LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
newman_born
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
I want Gigabyte EP31-DS3l Drivers and Geforce 7200GS


hi every one
I want Gigabyte EP31-DS3l Drivers and Geforce 7200GS VEG Card because i want to install red hat enterprise 5 and fedora and Debian and sun solaris 10(UNIX)so i want compatible driver with this distributions
thank you all for helping
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,082

Rep: Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by newman_born View Post
hi every one
I want Gigabyte EP31-DS3l Drivers and Geforce 7200GS VEG Card because i want to install red hat enterprise 5 and fedora and Debian and sun solaris 10(UNIX)so i want compatible driver with this distributions
thank you all for helping
Ok, great. Go to the Gigabyte and nVidia sites, and download them. Read the instructions that come with them, as far as installation goes. Each different distro, will probably have different instructions.

Have no idea about Solaris, though...but you could go to Sun's site and look.

Be sure to come back and post any problems you have getting things working, and we'll help you work through them.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
newman_born
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
there is no one there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
OK, great. Go to the Gigabyte and nVidia sites, and download them. Read the instructions that come with them, as far as installation goes. Each different distro, will probably have different instructions.

Have no idea about Solaris, though...but you could go to Sun's site and look.

Be sure to come back and post any problems you have getting things working, and we'll help you work through them.
there is no support to Linux their their drivers compatible with windows only no compatibility with Linux or UNIX so i but my question here .
is there anybody have idea to solve this problem .
thank all again
 
Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,743

Rep: Reputation: 196Reputation: 196
What drivers...

Why do you think that you need separate drivers for linux for this motherboard and graphics card?

If linux supports the devices on the motherboard, linux will identify the hardware and load the needed modules when it boots. linux does not use second party drivers the way Windows does.

Nvidia has a propriety driver for its graphics cards that you can install either from the repositories of your distribution or directly from Nvidia.

However, linux will usually boot with the "nv" module for this card and the graphics should function quite well.

You can test linux support by downloading a live-cd and booting it to see whether everything works out of the box or has to be configured by hand.

Last edited by thorkelljarl; 11-05-2009 at 05:31 PM.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
newman_born
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkelljarl View Post
What drivers...

Why do you think that you need separate drivers for linux for this motherboard and graphics card?

If linux supports the devices on the motherboard, linux will identify the hardware and load the needed modules when it boots. linux does not use second party drivers the way Windows does.

Nvidia has a propriety driver for its graphics cards that you can install either from the repositories of your distribution or directly from Nvidia.

However, linux will usually boot with the "nv" module for this card and the graphics should function quite well.

You can test linux support by downloading a live-cd and booting it to see whether everything works out of the box or has to be configured by hand.
i already installed red hat enterprise 5 and try to Chang resolution for 600*800 to 1024*768 but it not there and when i try to connect ton internet its fail and when i am typed (ifconfig )command the output is (l0) and there is no other interface so i Guess the system not recognize the hardware and need the driver . if is this true please help me
 
Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
exvor
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Distribution: LFS-Version SVN-20091202, Arch 2009.08
Posts: 1,496

Rep: Reputation: 68
Download the linux drivers from nvidia's web page. You have to change to root unpack them and run the script that is included and it normally will do everything for you. ( Do this in a xterm or something)
 
Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
newman_born
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by exvor View Post
Download the linux drivers from nvidia's web page. You have to change to root unpack them and run the script that is included and it normally will do everything for you. ( Do this in a xterm or something)
Ok I will try it but this to Geforce VGA what about the motherboard Gigabyte what can I do to get drivers like nvidia .
 
Old 11-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,743

Rep: Reputation: 196Reputation: 196
Try ...

You will need to verify what the chip for the ethernet connection is on the motherboard. Use the command "lshw" or "lspci" with root privileges and look for the ethernet interface.

http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/lshw/

The specifications for the motherboard lists the chip as an RTL 8111b, but you should look to see what linux finds.

There is a driver here for the RTL8111b.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=5&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168<br>RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)<br>RTL8168C/RTL8111DP

Last edited by thorkelljarl; 11-06-2009 at 09:28 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance issues on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo with Linux Storm16 Linux - Hardware 7 06-15-2009 06:06 AM
LXer: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L & EP45T-DS3R LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-18-2008 03:50 PM
LXer: Gigabyte GeForce 8600GTS On Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-28-2007 09:30 AM
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and Linux bruno321 Linux - Hardware 4 11-18-2007 03:42 PM
LXer: Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L Linux Review LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-15-2007 11:10 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration