Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I installed Red Hat Linux 7.3 just a while ago under VMware Workstation 3.1 and I've been having A LOT of problems. I really need some help, please?
Here's my situtation:
1) X wont start. It gives me the 'fatal error' and the 'no screens found' crap.
2) I tried to do what you guys suggested on previous posts, but i have a MAJOR problem. Thats were #3 comes in...
3) I burned the files (the tar and rpm ones just in case) from the nvidia site onto a cd because i have a gforce 2 mx card. But linux couldnt read it!!!!! i cd-ed to /mnt/cdrom and nothing showed up with ls.
4) So it i tried to place them on floppy disks, BUT ,my floppy drive is dead -it reads nothing but my Linux boot floppy.
5) i cant get virtual linux box to share my host's broadband connection, so there goes my last chance of installing those new drivers. It gives me this '\\.\VMnet0: The system cannot find the file specified. Failed to configure ethernet0.' message.
I know what VMWare is I had it running like 2 years ago, I am still getting e-mails from them. As for mounting: how do you mount, are you sure you mount correct drives? Also to ensure everything is ok, run as root