LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 260

Rep: Reputation: 29
I keep breaking opensuse somehow


I am not sure how or why this happens but this same thing happened about a week ago I go to update using yast2 and recieve this error.
Code:
Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.boot: cpio: rename failed - Input/output error
error: aaa_base-13.1-16.34.1.x86_64: install failed
error: aaa_base-13.1-16.30.1.x86_64: erase skipped
so I then try updating with zypper


Code:
lap@suse:~> zypper up
Root privileges are required for updating packages.
lap@suse:~> sudo zypper up
root's password:
System management is locked by the application with pid 6096 (/usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base).
Close this application before trying again.
lap@suse:~> sudo zypper up
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

The following 29 package updates will NOT be installed:
  gstreamer-0_10-plugin-esd gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs 
  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-lang 
  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good 
  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-base 
  gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly libgstapp-0_10-0 
  libgstaudio-1_0-0 libgstbasecamerabinsrc-0_10-23 libgstbasecamerabinsrc-1_0-0 
  libgstbasevideo-0_10-23 libgstfft-1_0-0 libgstpbutils-1_0-0 libgstriff-1_0-0 
  libgstrtp-1_0-0 libgstrtsp-1_0-0 libgstsdp-1_0-0 libgstvdp-0_10-23 
  libgstvideo-1_0-0 mjpegtools typelib-1_0-GstAudio-1_0 
  typelib-1_0-GstPbutils-1_0 typelib-1_0-GstTag-1_0 typelib-1_0-GstVideo-1_0 

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  yast2-inetd-doc 

The following 11 packages are going to be upgraded:
  aaa_base libavcodec54 libavfilter2 libavformat54 libavresample0 libavutil51 
  libpostproc51 libswresample99 libswscale1 poppler-tools xbmc 

11 packages to upgrade, 1 new.
Overall download size: 27.6 MiB. After the operation, additional 1.3 MiB will 
be used.
Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): y
Retrieving package libavutil51-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64
                                          (1/12),  90.6 KiB (170.6 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libavutil51-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64.rpm ................[done (11.3 KiB/s)]
Retrieving package libpostproc51-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64
                                          (2/12),  57.0 KiB (102.2 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libpostproc51-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64.rpm ...........................[done]
Retrieving package libswresample99-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64
                                          (3/12),  51.0 KiB ( 78.4 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libswresample99-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64.rpm .........................[done]
Retrieving package libavcodec54-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64
                                          (4/12),   2.5 MiB (  6.9 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libavcodec54-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64.rpm ..............[done (158.7 KiB/s)]
Retrieving package libswscale1-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64
                                          (5/12), 100.7 KiB (298.3 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libswscale1-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64.rpm .............................[done]
Retrieving package libavresample0-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64
                                          (6/12),  52.7 KiB (106.4 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libavresample0-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64.rpm ..........................[done]
Retrieving package libavformat54-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64
                                          (7/12), 534.7 KiB (  1.3 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libavformat54-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64.rpm .............[done (261.3 KiB/s)]
Retrieving package libavfilter2-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64
                                          (8/12), 270.2 KiB (707.3 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libavfilter2-1.0.8-3.2.x86_64.rpm ............................[done]
Retrieving package xbmc-12.3-1.10.x86_64  (9/12),  23.4 MiB ( 60.1 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: xbmc-12.3-1.10.x86_64.rpm ..................................................................................[done (219.4 KiB/s)]
( 1/12) Installing: libavutil51-1.0.8-3.2 ............................................................................................[done]
( 2/12) Installing: libpostproc51-1.0.8-3.2 ..........................................................................................[done]
( 3/12) Installing: libswresample99-1.0.8-3.2 ........................................................................................[done]
( 4/12) Installing: libavcodec54-1.0.8-3.2 ...........................................................................................[done]
( 5/12) Installing: libswscale1-1.0.8-3.2 ............................................................................................[done]
( 6/12) Installing: libavresample0-1.0.8-3.2 .........................................................................................[done]
( 7/12) Installing: libavformat54-1.0.8-3.2 ..........................................................................................[done]
( 8/12) Installing: libavfilter2-1.0.8-3.2 ...........................................................................................[done]
( 9/12) Installing: xbmc-12.3-1.10 ...................................................................................................[done]
(10/12) Installing: yast2-inetd-doc-3.0.0-2.1.4 ......................................................................................[done]
(11/12) Installing: aaa_base-13.1-16.34.1 ...........................................................................................[error]
Installation of aaa_base-13.1-16.34.1 failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.boot: cpio: rename failed - Input/output error
error: aaa_base-13.1-16.34.1.x86_64: install failed
error: aaa_base-13.1-16.30.1.x86_64: erase skipped


Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): r
(11/12) Installing: aaa_base-13.1-16.34.1 ...........................................................................................[error]
Installation of aaa_base-13.1-16.34.1 failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.boot: cpio: rename failed - Input/output error
error: aaa_base-13.1-16.34.1.x86_64: install failed
error: aaa_base-13.1-16.30.1.x86_64: erase skipped


Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a):
when this happened last time I just reinstalled because it was a fresh install.
I was going to post the syslog file which I found the link to in yast2 2 but it is very large so I won't do that.
 
Old 02-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,374

Rep: Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198Reputation: 2198
Try a different rpm directly maybe?

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...86_64.rpm.html

check this file too. /var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.boot
 
Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,818

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
that looks very normal if you have conflicting repos installed and did NOT set the priority
( yes just like on RHEL/CentOS/Fedora with "yum-priorites")

Suse uses a priority system also so that incompatible repos do not fight each other and make a FUBAR mess

now, as with almost everything SUSE .It is EASIER to use the GUI than the terminal
open yast2 / install and remove software /
then the "configure tab" and select "repositories"
or
yast2/ repositories

and edit the repos from 0 to 200
99 is default
( and for help click on the HELP button for a pop up description )

it is very well documented that "packman" is a bit INCOMPATIBLE with "oss" and "non-oss" and "updates"
and so can OpenSUSE Build Service ( OBS) be incompatible


if needed in yast package manager you can also set it to "allow VENDER CHANGE"
or LOCK a program so that it will NOT update


some really needed reading
http://activedoc.opensuse.org/
http://en.opensuse.org/Main_Page
http://doc.opensuse.org/

Last edited by John VV; 02-04-2014 at 07:50 PM.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 260

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Try a different rpm directly maybe?

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...86_64.rpm.html

check this file too. /var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.boot
hmm ok well that seems to work I downloaded it then use the software to install and it seemed to install that so I did another zypper update and recieved same error but different file aaa_base-13.1-16.34.1.x86_64 so I did a search for that file on the same site but same error occures when I try to install.
Quote:
that looks very normal if you have conflicting repos installed and did NOT set the priority
( yes just like on RHEL/CentOS/Fedora with "yum-priorites")

Suse uses a priority system also so that incompatible repos do not fight each other and make a FUBAR mess

now, as with almost everything SUSE .It is EASIER to use the GUI than the terminal
open yast2 / install and remove software /
then the "configure tab" and select "repositories"
or
yast2/ repositories

and edit the repos from 0 to 200
99 is default
( and for help click on the HELP button for a pop up description )

it is very well documented that "packman" is a bit INCOMPATIBLE with "oss" and "non-oss" and "updates"
and so can OpenSUSE Build Service ( OBS) be incompatible


if needed in yast package manager you can also set it to "allow VENDER CHANGE"
or LOCK a program so that it will NOT update


some really needed reading
http://activedoc.opensuse.org/
http://en.opensuse.org/Main_Page
http://doc.opensuse.org/
I actually tried this first but I now am getting installaion aborted by owner

Last edited by Shadowmeph; 02-05-2014 at 03:36 PM.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,818

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
once a conflicting rpm is installed ( if every repo is at 99)
it will stay that way until it is uninstalled and replaced with the one from the non conflicting repo

-- OpenSUSE is the same as RHEL and fedora on this


also with "packman" and oss
there is a ongoing conflict with Gstreammer

oss will update
then after a day or two packman will update ( SAME UPDATE ) but with a slightly different version Number
and REINSTALL with a different version and reinstall EVERYTHING that needs it

then

a few days later oss will reupdate something like one of the plugins
and repeat

then packman will REPEAT the above


it is a viscous cycle that WILL BREAK SOMETHING

unless you set "packman" to a LOWER priority so that packman is used OVER oss
 
Old 02-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 260

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
ok so basically this OS is totally screwed for me to use unless I want to keep having to do this?
I am not sure as to what is conflicting with what because I am not very ( if at all) fluent in Linux
 
Old 02-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,818

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
fixable but need a few things
first the output of
Code:
zypper lr
and
Code:
su -
zypper info aaa_base
that should be
"Vendor: openSUSE" -- the base repo
it is ALSO in opensuse-oss
for example on my 12.3 install
aaa_base-12.3-14.18.1-x86_64.rpm is in the opensuse repo
aaa_base-12.3-14.3.1-x86_64.rpm is in the the oss repo

if MY install made OSS a higher priority than base then "aaa_base-12.3-14.3.1-x86_64.rpm" would be installed and not "aaa_base-12.3-14.18.1-x86_64.rpm"

also things like
( output from yast gui)
Samba-client
net-snmp
dhcp
aaa_base-extra
and 229 MORE programs REQUIRE THIS VERSION


so if one of those in from a different REPO then it will have different needs for the version of "aaa_base"

third party repos can and DO mess things up

even for people that have been dealing with them for years
i had a long running issue with 12.2 that i finally fixed by uninstalling about 1/2 of the os and rebuilding it


it is much easier to use the GUI in yast to do a vender change and find what is causing the problem

and what needs what

but it also depends on just WHAT repos you want to use
packman has the "restricted formats" ( libdvdcss, ntfs, and music/video support)

so something general
packman =90
updates = 99
oss = 100

if OBS:gcc is in the mix ( i use it for gcc 3.4,4.1,4.3,and 4.7 )
then THAT needs to be == 80
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 260

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
fixable but need a few things
first the output of
Code:
zypper lr
and
Code:
su -
zypper info aaa_base
that should be
"Vendor: openSUSE" -- the base repo
it is ALSO in opensuse-oss
for example on my 12.3 install
aaa_base-12.3-14.18.1-x86_64.rpm is in the opensuse repo
aaa_base-12.3-14.3.1-x86_64.rpm is in the the oss repo

if MY install made OSS a higher priority than base then "aaa_base-12.3-14.3.1-x86_64.rpm" would be installed and not "aaa_base-12.3-14.18.1-x86_64.rpm"

also things like
( output from yast gui)
Samba-client
net-snmp
dhcp
aaa_base-extra
and 229 MORE programs REQUIRE THIS VERSION


so if one of those in from a different REPO then it will have different needs for the version of "aaa_base"

third party repos can and DO mess things up

even for people that have been dealing with them for years
i had a long running issue with 12.2 that i finally fixed by uninstalling about 1/2 of the os and rebuilding it


it is much easier to use the GUI in yast to do a vender change and find what is causing the problem

and what needs what

but it also depends on just WHAT repos you want to use
packman has the "restricted formats" ( libdvdcss, ntfs, and music/video support)

so something general
packman =90
updates = 99
oss = 100

if OBS:gcc is in the mix ( i use it for gcc 3.4,4.1,4.3,and 4.7 )
then THAT needs to be == 80
ok
Code:
lap@suse:~> zypper lr
#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh
---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
 1 | ftp.gwdg.de-suse          | Packman Repository                 | Yes     | Yes    
 2 | openSUSE-13.1-1.10        | openSUSE-13.1-1.10                 | Yes     | No     
 3 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-13.1-Debug                | No      | Yes    
 4 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes    
 5 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | Yes    
 6 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-13.1-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes    
 7 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-13.1-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes    
 8 | repo-source               | openSUSE-13.1-Source               | No      | Yes    
 9 | repo-update               | openSUSE-13.1-Update               | Yes     | Yes    
10 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Non-Oss       | No      | Yes
Code:
lap@suse:~> su -
Password: 
suse:~ # zypper info aaa_base
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...


Information for package aaa_base:
---------------------------------
Repository: openSUSE-13.1-Update
Name: aaa_base
Version: 13.1-16.34.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: Yes
Status: out-of-date (version 13.1-16.30.1 installed)
Installed Size: 273.9 KiB
Summary: openSUSE Base Package
Description: 
This package installs several important configuration files and central scripts.
suse:~ #
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Non-breaking space Steve W Linux - Newbie 3 05-07-2013 10:18 PM
breaking a line sunlinux Programming 1 05-12-2009 01:58 AM
SSL keeps breaking... Need help! jim.thornton Linux - Server 0 01-26-2008 09:57 AM
breaking into my machine? debtman7 Linux - Security 7 11-11-2005 04:28 AM
Breaking Windows cli_man General 17 04-20-2002 03:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration