LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #16
pan64
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Location: Hungary
Distribution: debian i686 (solaris)
Posts: 8,122

Rep: Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270Reputation: 2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanygooda View Post
Hello I tried your command apt-get install make
there is a message as following:
E: couldn't open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock -open(13ermission denied)
E:Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?


what this message mean. How to solve my problem regard make.
you should execute that command as root, not as regular user
 
Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #17
hazel
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: Debian, Crux, LFS, AntiX, NuTyX
Posts: 525

Rep: Reputation: 230Reputation: 230Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanygooda View Post
Hello I tried your command apt-get install make
there is a message as following:
E: couldn't open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock -open(13ermission denied)
E:Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?


what this message mean. How to solve my problem regard make.
It's telling you that you need to be root to use the apt-get command. Otherwise you don't have the right to access the database files. This ensures that only the administrator of a system can install software. In Ubuntu you become root by using the sudo command.

Try "sudo apt-get install make".
 
Old 07-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #18
amanygooda
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
It's telling you that you need to be root to use the apt-get command. Otherwise you don't have the right to access the database files. This ensures that only the administrator of a system can install software. In Ubuntu you become root by using the sudo command.

Try "sudo apt-get install make".
I tried to use this command and I got this message:
gouda is not in the shudders file. This incident will be reported
what is that and what should I do to solve this problem
 
Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #19
amanygooda
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
you should execute that command as root, not as regular user
How to excite the command as root. I don't know that.
could you give me the required steps for that.
 
Old 07-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #20
dijetlo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: RHELtopia....
Distribution: Solaris 11.2/Slackware/RHEL/
Posts: 1,307
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
su
type the root password at the prompt.
Welcome to the joy that is rootiness.

You just need to add gouda (gouda account name, btw) to sudoers but that can wait while you fix this.

Last edited by dijetlo; 07-07-2016 at 09:05 AM.
 
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #21
amanygooda
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijetlo View Post
type the root password at the prompt.
Welcome to the joy that is rootiness.

You just need to add gouda (gouda account name, btw) to sudoers but that can wait while you fix this.
I have entered Sudo Su command and after I entered the password then he give me this message:
gouda is not in sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
 
Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #22
dijetlo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: RHELtopia....
Distribution: Solaris 11.2/Slackware/RHEL/
Posts: 1,307
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm sorry, I posted that and then re-read it, your right, sudo su is blocked because you aren't in sudoers.
su by itself, however, is probably available so even though it's not considered "good form", try it,
Just type "su" on the command line and the root password at the prompt, and again, sorry for any confusion,
 
Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #23
amanygooda
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijetlo View Post
I'm sorry, I posted that and then re-read it, your right, sudo su is blocked because you aren't in sudoers.
su by itself, however, is probably available so even though it's not considered "good form", try it,
Just type "su" on the command line and the root password at the prompt, and again, sorry for any confusion,
Hello ,

Under any case, don't say sorry.
Iam really appreciate your cooperation.
I tried to do what you said now.
su, then password. It give me this message:
su: Authenticated failure

What should I do then.
 
Old 07-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #24
dijetlo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: RHELtopia....
Distribution: Solaris 11.2/Slackware/RHEL/
Posts: 1,307
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Are you sure it's the root password and not the one for the account "Gouda"?
SU is shorthand for "switch users", is you don't specify the user, it's assumed it's root. To make the switch you have to supply that accounts password (in this case the root account)
 
Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #25
amanygooda
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijetlo View Post
Are you sure it's the root password and not the one for the account "Gouda"?
SU is shorthand for "switch users", is you don't specify the user, it's assumed it's root. To make the switch you have to supply that accounts password (in this case the root account)
this is my account and I have used its password
I am trying to use the administrative account. but the same answer that the authentication failure.
then what is the problem
 
Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #26
dijetlo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: RHELtopia....
Distribution: Solaris 11.2/Slackware/RHEL/
Posts: 1,307
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The problem seems to be you don't have the root password, and you don't have an administrative users account name and password,(or you'd be able to su using sudo ~ Admins are members of sudoers, that's normally what makes them admins). You probably need to talk to the guy running this instance, he's effectively locked you off.
 
Old 07-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #27
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,825

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
Hi "amanygooda"

this thread is a bit of a mess and VERY CONFUSING

so "Back to the BASICS "!!!

WHERE!! did you get this tarbal from ( tar.zip/tgz/tzip...)
the only things i am finding is for Plasma Physics

a link to where you got this will be very helpful

Quote:
how I could handle this problem to download the code and activate it to be run in my computer
the issue in posts above is this
IS it a makefile set up ?????
or
dose it use Autotools????

or NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!
you say there is a *.F90 "frames_stub.f90"

as above this is FORTHAN 90( as in the year 1990 at least it is not F77 )
this means it could be VERY easy to run OR very very complex and VERY VERY difficult to run

so

until you can post a link to this software there is really not much we can do EXCEPT GUESS

and all of the posts above are just that guessing

Last edited by John VV; 07-07-2016 at 04:31 PM.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #28
malekmustaq
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: root
Distribution: Slackware & BSD
Posts: 1,614

Rep: Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440
Quote:
also your steps is not working, I don't know what is the problem. no makefile command exist and make -f fiscof2.f90 is error.
How I can build up and install the code after I extracted it by tar command
Indeed make command cannot work if there is no make file. The archive you are getting might not be intended for building. Can you post to us what you get after extracting the archive?

What distro are you running? Where did you get that *tgz archive? If you provide us answers we might be able to help you better.

m.m.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #29
amanygooda
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
Hi "amanygooda"

this thread is a bit of a mess and VERY CONFUSING

so "Back to the BASICS "!!!

WHERE!! did you get this tarbal from ( tar.zip/tgz/tzip...)
the only things i am finding is for Plasma Physics

a link to where you got this will be very helpful


the issue in posts above is this
IS it a makefile set up ?????
or
dose it use Autotools????

or NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!
you say there is a *.F90 "frames_stub.f90"

as above this is FORTHAN 90( as in the year 1990 at least it is not F77 )
this means it could be VERY easy to run OR very very complex and VERY VERY difficult to run

so

until you can post a link to this software there is really not much we can do EXCEPT GUESS

and all of the posts above are just that guessing
Can I sent the code and could you show the required steps to run it.
Could you send your email?
Thank you
 
Old 07-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #30
malekmustaq
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: root
Distribution: Slackware & BSD
Posts: 1,614

Rep: Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440
Quote:
Can I sent the code and could you show the required steps to run it.
Could you send your email?
amanygooda you are not listening to JohnVV. It is very simple: he wanted to know where you got the archive in *tgz in order to avoid much guessing work. You will need to stop, look (read) and listen, in order to solve the problem.

Just post the link here so that many of us can examine it and many of us can help you. Be glad and have self confidence, for many helpers are around; we help you by heart... and we help you for free. That is the beauty in LQ!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Downloading source code cmoore90638 Slackware 6 07-03-2016 11:39 PM
Thread: PHP code downloading instead of running gajananh999 Linux - Software 5 01-07-2013 08:22 AM
[SOLVED] Is there a standard location for downloading source code? sneakyimp Linux - Server 6 02-18-2011 07:24 PM
PHP Code to check how many users are downloading files. farmerjoe Programming 8 04-01-2005 04:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration