LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
m.alshafay
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy I can't connect to Shared Printer "HP LASERJET 1010" over samba


hello,
I'm using FC9 on i686 and the system is UP TO DATE at this moment
the problem is that I've convinced my employer to use Linux at the office
so I've installed the os on my pc with winxp,
but MOST of our data files are shred through workgroup with high security the problem is in samba i think "when browsing the workgroup i can't see the pc with the resources and thus i can't see the printer connected to the pc "HP LASERJET 1010" & by the way this resources pc requires user&pass in windows to connect" and i'm using samba.

another qustion can i connect to pc over samba by the IP

Please help , i like Linux and i want to use it at work!!
 
Old 09-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
john test
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: ubuntu 9.10
Posts: 527
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 35
Don't know the answer, but thought I would bump this up because the answer is of interest to me. :-)
 
Old 09-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
m.alshafay
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Exclamation thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by john test View Post
Don't know the answer, but thought I would bump this up because the answer is of interest to me. :-)
what i need is help , nothing else.
 
Old 09-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Quakeboy02
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Distribution: Debian Squeeze 2.6.32.9 SMP AMD64
Posts: 3,245

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.alshafay View Post
hello,
I'm using FC9 on i686 and the system is UP TO DATE at this moment
the problem is that I've convinced my employer to use Linux at the office
so I've installed the os on my pc with winxp,
but MOST of our data files are shred through workgroup with high security the problem is in samba i think "when browsing the workgroup i can't see the pc with the resources and thus i can't see the printer connected to the pc "HP LASERJET 1010" & by the way this resources pc requires user&pass in windows to connect" and i'm using samba.

another qustion can i connect to pc over samba by the IP

Please help , i like Linux and i want to use it at work!!
I believe that what you want is to use the userid and password in your smb connect string such as:
Code:
smb://username:password@WORKGROUP/WINDOWSNETBIOSNAME/printersharename
or
smb://username:password@WINDOWSNETBIOSNAME/printersharename
You are using your browser to configure CUPS, right? http://localhost:631/
 
Old 09-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
m.alshafay
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks Quakeboy02
it's working now thanks "i did not know about http://localhost:631/ it's amazing web interface
thanks
BUT
what if i don't know the shared folder name, and i want to browse the win pc using ip i tells me no application to handle this file tybe

Last edited by m.alshafay; 09-24-2008 at 05:22 PM.
 
Old 09-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Quakeboy02
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Distribution: Debian Squeeze 2.6.32.9 SMP AMD64
Posts: 3,245

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.alshafay View Post
thanks Quakeboy02
it's working now thanks "i did not know about http://localhost:631/ it's amazing web interface
thanks
BUT
what if i don't know the shared folder name, and i want to browse the win pc using ip i tells me no application to handle this file tybe
If you don't know the userid and password on a machine that requires it, it stands to reason that you can't browse its contents.
 
  


Reply

Tags
cant


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samba + CUPS "Access denied, unable to connect" error lirik Linux - Networking 10 10-13-2011 02:09 PM
Samba shared folder "doesn't exist" under Fedora 7 x86_64 rcx11 Linux - Server 5 10-30-2007 07:22 AM
winxp says "unable to connect..." to server attached printer linuxlimbo Linux - Networking 1 09-20-2006 11:39 PM
Ho to install Hp Laserjet 1010 printer on Slackware 10.2 navi_uscrap Linux - Hardware 2 02-14-2006 01:11 PM
"Access Denied" to printer and directories shared via Samba Aarstar Linux - Networking 1 03-05-2002 07:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration