LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Mirish326
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
I am doing home work for school


How would use the service command to manually kill the bigd daemon ? Is the questions for my home work what would I put down for the answer to the questions ? P.S this is for Fedora & Redhat

Last edited by Mirish326; 11-22-2010 at 03:03 PM.
 
Old 11-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,131
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833
Try this:
Code:
man service
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
forrestt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Distribution: Fedora, Kubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, SuSe
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 99
DO NOT put "man service" as the answer to your homework. Use the command "man service" to figure out what you would put. If you do not have access to a Linux system, try this link:

Removed link as it wasn't useful.

HTH

Forrest

Last edited by forrestt; 11-22-2010 at 03:05 PM.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,131
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
DO NOT put "man service" as the answer to your homework. Use the command "man service" to figure out what you would put. If you do not have access to a Linux system, try this link:

Removed link as it wasn't useful.

HTH

Forrest
Even a newbie is not considered to post his homework questions here.

Besides that, I called the OP to try the command, not to take this as the answer for his homework. This way I taught him at least a little bit how to get informations on commands.
Thank you for downrepping me for that.

Maybe you should have a look here, you can downrep another member for the same answer.

Last edited by TobiSGD; 11-22-2010 at 04:58 PM.
 
Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
repo
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: May 2001
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 8,527

Rep: Reputation: 898Reputation: 898Reputation: 898Reputation: 898Reputation: 898Reputation: 898Reputation: 898
Quote:
Thank you for downrepping me for that.
I agree, there is NO reason to downrep someone for this answer.

Kind regards
 
Old 11-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
forrestt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Distribution: Fedora, Kubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, SuSe
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 99
The answer could easily be read as "Try putting 'man services' as your answer" not "Try running the command 'man services' in a terminal (the fact that they are posting on a Windows 7 system and may not have access to a Linux computer not withstanding). The reason I downrepped TobiSGD is that the answer potentially caused someone to get a bad grade on an assignment, and I felt that TobiSGD was being irresponsible. A few more words would make a potentially harmful post into a helpful post. First and foremost, your advice should in no way harm the people reading it. A bad grade on an assignment IS harm.

Also, there is NOTHING wrong w/ people putting their homework questions here. The rules do NOT prevent this (and the fact that the OP was upfront about it should be rewarded). The rules only prevent people from "expecting" help. You are free to give complete answers to homework questions if you want, but most of us don't do it and discourage others from doing it as well.

I'm not trying to start a battle with anybody. Repo, if you feel that the downrep is inappropriate, give TobiSGD an uprep to cancel it out. Personally, I stand by my decision.

Forrest
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,674
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
The answer could easily be read as "Try putting 'man services' as your answer" not "Try running the command 'man services' in a terminal
LOL, If the OP writes "man services" in his answer sheet without even knowing what that means, it clearly shows that he is not interested in doing some research himself and expects spoon feeding! And if that is the case, his threads are not worth our time.

Thus TobiSGD definitely didn't deserve a "down rep" for it.

Last edited by TheIndependentAquarius; 11-23-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
forrestt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Distribution: Fedora, Kubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, SuSe
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 99
If someone comes asking a question that basic, it tells me they have no idea at all about Linux/Unix. They therefore wouldn't know if the response was the answer to the question or more guidance. I don't see why the words "research the command with" instead of "try" are so much more difficult to post. The former is informative, the later is ambiguous and borders on irresponsible.

Some people don't know how to ask good questions. It's our responsibility to help them learn both the wonderful world of Linux and how to ask questions here that will illicit the best responses. You can say that someone who would write "man services" on their answer sheet is not interested in doing research, but I also say that someone who writes "try "man services" is not interested in actually being helpful. That answer is piss poor and lazy. There isn't any other way to see it. I'm sorry that TobiSGD is offended by my saying so, but that doesn't make his answer a good one. I don't even think it is a mediocre one. It's flat out bad.

However, at this point TobiSGD should be glad I downrepped him. His rep before all of this was 81, now it's 89 which tells me that a bunch of other people don't really care about being helpful. I just hope you all will actually improve your posts, but I guess quantity is the only thing that matters.

Forrest
 
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,131
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833Reputation: 4833
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
That answer is piss poor and lazy. There isn't any other way to see it. I'm sorry that TobiSGD is offended by my saying so,
Of course I am offended, because that what you say is pure offense.
I actually said "Try", what in this word is not understandable? I did NOT say "The answer is", "Write as answer" or something like that. Even if the OP could think that might be the answer, he should be aware that I said "Try", and who would answer in a real test with something some other guy had suggested to "Try"?

Quote:
I just hope you all will actually improve your posts, but I guess quantity is the only thing that matters.
I think my posts are good enough, even if that is not your opinion. But I wonder how you can come to a conclusion like that, without actually knowing me? Have you even had a look at my post history to come to that conclusion? I doubt so.
 
Old 11-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
mlangdn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Kentucky
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,432

Rep: Reputation: 196Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
DO NOT put "man service" as the answer to your homework. Use the command "man service" to figure out what you would put.
The actual command is:

Code:
$ man services
The other will return nothing. Maybe you should be down-repped for a faulty answer.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 3,090
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324Reputation: 324
[QUOTE]TobiSGD/QUOTE] I get this every year I live one block from one of the largest CSM building in the this country. And I learn everyday from the Students but the 101 students you have to let them figure it out.
Great work.
 
Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,674
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
If someone comes asking a question that basic, it tells me they have no idea at all about Linux/Unix...They therefore wouldn't know if the response was the answer to the question or more guidance.
FYI, I do not know anything about "bigd daemon", "service command", or any other daemon, this doesn't mean that I don't know what is Linux or I am dumb, this just means I am a programmer! Had I been a sysadmin or had I been taking the course of sysadmin, first thing I would have known (through system admin books or my teachers) is the man pages, IMHO.

If I talk about "uncommon" commands and some daemons and on top of that I don't know what are man pages??? This simply means I am not attending the lectures/reading books and want spoon feeding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
The former is informative, the later is ambiguous and borders on irresponsible.
Asking someone to read the man page of a command is not ambiguous/irresponsible.

It would be an irresponsible behavior if a member posts "RTFM"/"Google" as a reply to a person who doesn't know what a distribution is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
Some people don't know how to ask good questions.
Some people do not know how/when the down rep power should be used.
 
Old 11-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
forrestt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Distribution: Fedora, Kubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, SuSe
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 99
Well, on my system "man service" gives a man page for the service command (what was actually asked about), while "man services" gives a man page about the /etc/services file. I guess you could down rep me for my so called "faulty" answer, but it is in fact, NOT faulty. Perhaps it is that your distro doesn't have the service command.

HTH

Forrest
 
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
mlangdn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Kentucky
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,432

Rep: Reputation: 196Reputation: 196
I don't down-rep just for a possibly faulty answer given in good faith. That's not the purpose of the rep system in my opinion.
 
Old 11-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
forrestt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Distribution: Fedora, Kubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, SuSe
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishakaul View Post
FYI, I do not know anything about "bigd daemon", "service command", or any other daemon, this doesn't mean that I don't know what is Linux or I am dumb, this just means I am a programmer!
We aren't talking about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anishakaul View Post
Asking someone to read the man page of a command is not ambiguous/irresponsible.
I agree. It isn't the directive to have the OP use man that I object to, it is the idea that the word "try" somehow implies that the OP should use the man command to do the research. It does not imply that. If instead, something like my previous suggestions or "Try running the command" were used instead, I would have no objection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anishakaul View Post
Some people do not know how/when the down rep power should be used.
I do understand the rep system, and I do understand when down reps should be given. To dissuade the behaviours of others that you find wrong is a perfectly good reason to down rep. I do not like this type of answer. To me it seems very arrogant and lazy and seems to imply that LQ members don't care enough to be bothered. If TobiSGD isn't lazy and arrogant, then neither should his answers be. Whether or not he actually cares will be demonstrated in his future posts. I do care about my answers and how LQ is perceived by new users to Linux. The entire FOSS community is based on the assumption that giving things away will benefit us more than keeping them secret. If we aren't friendly to newcomers, then we aren't respecting those that gave their time to get us this far.

At this point, 10,000% more effort has gone into defending the position that the word "try" means something it does not than would have been required to make the answer unambiguous. I can't down rep TobiSGD again for this type of answer, but hopefully, next time he posts a similar one he will take the extra 10 seconds and type "try running the command" instead of just "try".

Forrest
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed Fedora at home, brought drive to school, no boot... Erik765 Fedora 8 03-13-2008 09:23 PM
Is it possible to browse over ssh from home using my school server? thefountainhead100 Linux - Newbie 2 03-09-2008 10:17 PM
Unable to access the internet through firefox when switching from school to home jalsk Fedora 3 07-30-2006 09:41 AM
Rsync homework from school to home, and home to school RandomLinuxNewb Linux - Software 2 05-05-2006 05:41 AM
how can i connect through my mdk 9.2 box at home from school? spyghost Linux - Networking 16 01-23-2004 03:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration