ok I'm a TOTAL linux noob, but I really want to get into it. I tried redhat 8.0 (with windows XP) but I had a few problems.
but anyway I have a few questions
1. How many partitions do I need for linux! and whats the difference between the type of linux drive that ends with a three and the one that ends with a two?
2. How much space do you guys recommend for all of the partitions? here are my specs
P4 2.25 ghz
512 RD ram
120 gig western digital HD
Geforce 4 ti 4600 (its OCed a little)
3. I have one kinda scary problem when I install. When I choose my partitions with disk druid it gives me this error "partition / or boot/ may not meet booting constraints for your archetecture, creation of a bootdisk is encouraged" WTF does this mean? and how do I fix it?
4. I installed albiet the error but I got the infamous error 28 (cannot fit the item in your memory) but I have so much memory and SOOOOO much HD space. Does anyone know how to fix this error?
5. RE the error above, I tried switching to LiLo but grub boots in FULL TEXT MODE (instead of LiLo) and it doesn't help (because I dunno how to work it) Remember I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO INSTALL ANOTHER BOOT LOADER! Oh and I can't log into linux because of the error
6. I booted with a boot disk, and I get to full text linux mode, I tried one of the few commands I knew "startx" and it looks like X was starting but it returns to text mode with some mumbo jumbo followed by an error that also looked like mumbo jumbo.
Oh BTW my windows works through all of this
So can anyone help me (keep in mind I can't use the linux other than by boot disk, and I think its a little fishy, plus I would need step by step instructions because I don't really know what I'm doing) Your help will be GREATLY appreciated
THANKS IN ADVANCE! from at total