LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 227

Rep: Reputation: 19
Question HP DVD-RW 1040d not recognized ... Jumper Settings?


I went through this problem with Jaunty and never did solve the problem ... the problem being that the operating system does not recognize my PATA HP 1040d DVD/CD-RW. If there is anyone out there who has personally overcome this problem please let me know how you did it. I am not technically minded and my computer skills are rather modest compared with most of my peers on this site ... so please make it simple and step by step, (I can however follow instructions quite well).
Computer is a HP Compaq dx2250. (business machine)
Memory is 1.8 GB
75 GB hdd
AMD Athlon 64
System is Linux Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit (tried 64 bit ... same problem).

CMOS settings;

PATA Controller - Enabled.
PATA CH0 Master - None.
PATA CH0 Slave - HP DVD-Writer 1040d.

SATA Controller -Enabled.
SATA Mode - Legacy IDE.
SATA CH1 Master - Samsung HD161HJ (HDD).
SATA CH1 Slave - None.
SATA CH2 Master -HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDRH10N.
SATA CH2 Slave - None.

Question; Are my jumper settings okay?

thank you,
gael.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
jefro
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,087

Rep: Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521
Does it work in any other live cd or dvd?
 
Old 11-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 227

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Does it work in any other live cd or dvd?
It works well in WindowsXP.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,743

Rep: Reputation: 196Reputation: 196
Just to be sure...

You have placed the Jumper clip at Sl(Slave) on the back of the drive? Is the middle connector of the cable attached to the drive and the connector at the end farthest from the middle attached to the controller?

Look down the Wikipedia article to the illustration of a PATA cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ju...ock-shunts.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

Why do you have the drive connected as Slave and not Master? Is it a question of which drive will boot first? Why do you have your SATA controller set as IDE, is it because of Windows XP?

Last edited by thorkelljarl; 11-25-2009 at 07:52 PM.
 
Old 11-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 227

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkelljarl View Post
Just to be sure...

You have placed the Jumper clip at Sl(Slave) on the back of the drive? Is the middle connector of the cable attached to the drive and the connector at the end farthest from the middle attached to the controller?

Look down the Wikipedia article to the illustration of a PATA cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ju...ock-shunts.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

Why do you have the drive connected as Slave and not Master? Is it a question of which drive will boot first? Why do you have your SATA controller set as IDE, is it because of Windows XP?
I bought this computer from PC World and they fitted the DVD-RW as an extra. In my defence (lol) I had nothing to do with fitting or setting up the computer. At the time it came with Microsoft WindowsXP on it and of course it was all working fine. It was only later that I went on a voyage of discovery with Linux Ubuntu (and one or two others) that I started to have problems.

I will read through the links you kindly sent and take it from there

Thanks.
gael
 
Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 227

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 19
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gael33 View Post
I bought this computer from PC World and they fitted the DVD-RW as an extra. In my defence (lol) I had nothing to do with fitting or setting up the computer. At the time it came with Microsoft WindowsXP on it and of course it was all working fine. It was only later that I went on a voyage of discovery with Linux Ubuntu (and one or two others) that I started to have problems.

I will read through the links you kindly sent and take it from there
I managed to solve this problem after I had recovered from a bad bout of Swine Flu ... anti virus and anti biotic tablets eventually got me back on my feet. Anyway, it appears that PC World put the jumper on the wrong setting ... slave, I changed it to master and now it's working perfectly.
Sorry I took so long to respond ... I just didn't have the strength.
Thanks again,
gael.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SB Audigy 2 Value, no settings, but recognized on SuSE 10 64bit OSS RedShirt Suse/Novell 1 01-23-2006 06:21 PM
LG DVD-ROM DRD-8160B not recognized as DVD player on FC2 Wise_Fox Linux - Hardware 1 08-24-2004 01:13 PM
SCSI Jumper settings help (array of 6) bkeating General 0 07-31-2003 02:27 AM
DVD is recognized but not CR-RW madangsweh Linux - Software 2 07-21-2003 01:42 AM
cd-rw and jumper settings salparadise Linux - Newbie 4 02-02-2003 12:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration