Everything worked easily for me when I installed a Japanese engine. I just had to reset my language environment. You have to make sure it's set to a UTF-8 character set. Run "locale" in a terminal to see what you have set up now. The main entries all need to be something like "en_US.UTF-8", with the first part being whatever language you want your menus and GUI elements to appear in. I'm not going to go into how to reset it if it's wrong, because frankly I don't remember exactly how I did it. :P You'll have to research that on your own. You can start by checking out the "set-language-env" command though.
I think you also need "XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM" in your environment variables as well. And don't forget that whatever character servers you need have to be running also.
After that it should be easy. SCIM is set to engage by default with crtl+space, but this can be changed in the settings. When you hit it the try icon should change and you should be able to enter Chinese then. A left-click on the tray icon should also give you the choice of switching between your regular keyboard and IME. If you have multiple IME engines set up, then you'll be given a list to choose from. There are shortcut keys you can set up in the settings for these too.
This should work for most applications, but I think that there are some older non-unicode ready apps may not be able to handle the input. There may be a way around it, but I haven't figured it out yet. I'm still learning it myself. At least SCIM is much easier to use than the old set-language-environment-
for-each-app-separately way I had to use before. It's really a godsend for multiple-language users.
Edit: Fixed a mistake.
Last edited by David the H.; 03-11-2006 at 08:56 AM.