How to SSH from coffee shop to home server behind router...what next?
I am trying to SSH into my home server from a coffee shop to DL a file I have on there to my laptop at the coffe shop.
1) The server is at my house
2) I've installed and configured the SSH server and copied keys to and from the laptop to the server and laptop... etc.
3) Server resides behind an actiontec GT701-WG router. and has two basic hubs between it and the router.
4) Server and routers and hubs all have static IP's.
5) I have the router outside IP.
6) I've forwarded a port to the server (let's call it port-xyz) in TCP and DHP/DHC (?)...
Now I am here at the coffee shop...
My log in credentials (user name and password) for the laptop are identical to the server.
How do I connect and how do I browse a folder on my server?
IS there something to check?
I actually don't know the terminal commands to do any of this yet- I'd love a link to a tutorial... what am I looking for to google?
Thanks a ton!
p.s. Server and laptop both running Mint 11.10. I can't ping my server from outside the LAN yet. I don't know the command to ping THROUGH the router IP to the server IP on the inside of the LAN from here...!!!
Last edited by ChiggyDada; 04-26-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Reason: more details