LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 AM   #16
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Using your package manager, just check if smbclient is installed. If not install it.
 
Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #17
farslayer
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,232
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 190Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
When I type in 192.168.1.101 (the other pc's address), it says "Cannot display location "smb://192.168.1.101/" No application is registered as handling this file."

What did I do wrong?

I also typed in "MSHOME" as the server, as that is the name of the network. I get the same box as with the IP.

I also typed in "MAINPC" as the server, as that is the name of the other pc. Once again, same response.


Is the Firewall on on your Windows PC's ? That is a common issue when trying to share files with a Windows PC.. certainly something to check before you try more complicated troubleshooting. and then of course you have to have a folder shared on your windows pc...


Acid Kewpie I feel your pain.. I can't tell you how many times I've posted a link to the solution for what was requested, but people seem to skim over them and never follow the links and read.. I just don't get it.

Last edited by farslayer; 11-25-2008 at 08:32 AM.
 
Old 11-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #18
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,417

Rep: Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974
Drives me mad farslayer. and speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxlover.chaitanya View Post
using your package manager, just check if smbclient is installed. If not install it.
no no no. Do not do this.
 
Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #19
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,417

Rep: Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
When I type in 192.168.1.101 (the other pc's address), it says "Cannot display location "smb://192.168.1.101/" No application is registered as handling this file."

What did I do wrong?

I also typed in "MSHOME" as the server, as that is the name of the network. I get the same box as with the IP.

I also typed in "MAINPC" as the server, as that is the name of the other pc. Once again, same response.
Add the share in. I think you've hit a bug of sorts. This isn't something I ever play with really, but did see this behaviour with just the server name. Add the share name too and it'll hopefully pop right up. did for me.

(you can the click that "notepad" button in the menu bar to change to url mode and you'll see what some other people were trying to refer to)
 
Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 AM   #20
mollydoggy1971
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Ignore this specific response please.

Last edited by mollydoggy1971; 11-26-2008 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Misposted
 
Old 11-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #21
mollydoggy1971
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie View Post
Add the share in. I think you've hit a bug of sorts. This isn't something I ever play with really, but did see this behaviour with just the server name. Add the share name too and it'll hopefully pop right up. did for me.

(you can the click that "notepad" button in the menu bar to change to url mode and you'll see what some other people were trying to refer to)
Hmmm...I entered MSHOME for the server and MAINPC for the share, and it said, "Failed to mount Windows share"

The firewall is off on the windows machine. That got me to thinking, so I also disabled ZoneAlarm and put that machine in the DMZ in the router, but I got the same failure.

This is frustrating. Much as I hate to say it, it seems that networking is much simpler on windows.

Any further advice is greatly appreciated!
 
Old 11-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #22
SqdnGuns
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 w/ CSB & MSB
Posts: 998

Rep: Reputation: 96
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=993093

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336
 
Old 11-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
mollydoggy1971
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you for the links, but they both did nothing for me. The first one has commands to type, and I have no idea where to type commands. The second one was a bunch of posts, one of which seemed to match my problem, but apparently it corrected itself for the user, so I gleaned no useful information from it. Please remember, I have NO IDEA what I'm doing in Linux, so I need very detailed step-by-step help.
I bought a book today on Ubuntu Linux...Ubuntu Linux For Dummies. I'm hoping that it, along with you nice people, will help me solve this problem, and (I'm sure) many more in the future.
 
Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #24
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Just go to Application > Accessories > Terminal
And then type sudo smbtree. It will ask for your password. Provide it and it will list all the windows shares for you.
 
Old 11-27-2008, 12:27 AM   #25
mollydoggy1971
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxlover.chaitanya View Post
Just go to Application > Accessories > Terminal
And then type sudo smbtree. It will ask for your password. Provide it and it will list all the windows shares for you.
I typed that (NOW I know where to type commands...thanks for that info!), and it says "sudo: smbtree: command not found"

/me pulls more hair out
 
Old 11-27-2008, 12:46 AM   #26
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Well I still want you to check if smbclient is installed. It could be other issue but no harm in checking it. Go to System > Administration > Synaptic. just search for smbclient. I hope its there but just check.
 
Old 11-27-2008, 02:34 AM   #27
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,417

Rep: Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
Hmmm...I entered MSHOME for the server and MAINPC for the share, and it said, "Failed to mount Windows share"

The firewall is off on the windows machine. That got me to thinking, so I also disabled ZoneAlarm and put that machine in the DMZ in the router, but I got the same failure.
it's probably worth stepping back slightly and confirming you can, say, ping the other computer in the first place. try by IP address. I don't think you'd be able to ping by machine name at all, but *should* be able to map the share by name. I'd suggest trying the drive map by IP address again too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
This is frustrating. Much as I hate to say it, it seems that networking is much simpler on windows.
Well this isn't networking at all. this is using a Microsoft proprietary application (which just happens to involve the use of a network) which has been painstakingly reverse engineered to work on a different operating system. Doing what you want might feel trivial but it's really really not in terms of the vast amount of work that's been put in to make it work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
Any further advice is greatly appreciated!
 
Old 11-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #28
mollydoggy1971
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxlover.chaitanya View Post
Well I still want you to check if smbclient is installed. It could be other issue but no harm in checking it. Go to System > Administration > Synaptic. just search for smbclient. I hope its there but just check.
It was not installed, but I just installed it. I hope that assumption doesn't mess things up any further.
 
Old 11-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #29
mollydoggy1971
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie View Post
it's probably worth stepping back slightly and confirming you can, say, ping the other computer in the first place. try by IP address. I don't think you'd be able to ping by machine name at all, but *should* be able to map the share by name. I'd suggest trying the drive map by IP address again too.
I'll happily try pinging the other machine, if you would kindly tell me how to do that.

Ah, never mind, I figured that one out. Hopefully it's what you were looking for. I typed "ping 192.168.1.100" (address of the other pc) and i got the following:

mollydog@ubuntu:~$ ping 192.168.1.100
PING 192.168.1.100 (192.168.1.100) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=4.69 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.182 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=3 ttl=128 time=0.182 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=4 ttl=128 time=0.157 ms
and it went on until i hit CTRL+C

Does that give you any more helpful info?

Jeff
 
Old 11-27-2008, 04:22 AM   #30
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,417

Rep: Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974Reputation: 1974
yeah sure, so the network itself is fine. so what if you do try to mount the share with the ip address?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mount windows share export to samba share -> improve network performance tuning newuser77 Linux - Server 1 07-23-2008 12:28 PM
how to network linux and xp so that they can share files. micro_xii Linux - Newbie 1 09-14-2006 01:05 AM
How do you share files on network using RH9 and Windows statyk Linux - Newbie 6 12-15-2003 09:37 PM
How do I share files on a Windows DHCP network? yzrider210 Linux - Networking 2 12-13-2003 04:29 PM
network share files don't show Logic Linux - Networking 4 07-24-2003 06:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration