LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Robert.Thompson
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: LinuxMint 17.3 Rosa 64 bit
Posts: 585

Rep: Reputation: 49
How to remove Ubuntu and the install SUSE 11.2


Using a x61 Lenovo laptop with dual boot: XP & Ubuntu.

Do I need to remove Ubuntu to install SUSE 11.2 or will the new linux installation just 'clobber' the previously installed linux?

If I need to remove Ubuntu, or if it is just better to do so, how do I do this?

Thanks,

Rob.
 
Old 11-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
ymitchell
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Thompson View Post
Using a x61 Lenovo laptop with dual boot: XP & Ubuntu.

Do I need to remove Ubuntu to install SUSE 11.2 or will the new linux installation just 'clobber' the previously installed linux?

If I need to remove Ubuntu, or if it is just better to do so, how do I do this?

Thanks,

Rob.
Boot from the Ubuntu CD and run Qparted and delete the Ubuntu partition. Then reboot and install SuSE ..
 
Old 11-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Robert.Thompson
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: LinuxMint 17.3 Rosa 64 bit
Posts: 585

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymitchell View Post
Boot from the Ubuntu CD and run Qparted and delete the Ubuntu partition. Then reboot and install SuSE ..
Thank you.

... and if I do not have the Ubuntu CD?
 
Old 11-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
raju.mopidevi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: vijayawada, India
Distribution: openSUSE 11.2, Ubuntu 9.0.4
Posts: 1,155
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 92
when you insert openSUSE 11.2 DVD for installation. see the check mark that "automatic configuration"
then at the partition phase you can see the default configuration. SUSE will ask you that "whether you want to replace existing linux partitions ?"
say yes !
then your ubuntu partitions will be formatted and replaced with SUSE.

for more info see this image http://en.opensuse.org/Image:Opensusedvd-install9.png

for installation instructions see the link http://en.opensuse.org/Installation/11.0_DVD_Install
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Robert.Thompson
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: LinuxMint 17.3 Rosa 64 bit
Posts: 585

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by raju.mopidevi View Post
when you insert openSUSE 11.2 DVD for installation. see the check mark that "automatic configuration"
then at the partition phase you can see the default configuration. SUSE will ask you that "whether you want to replace existing linux partitions ?"
say yes !
then your ubuntu partitions will be formatted and replaced with SUSE.

for more info see this image http://en.opensuse.org/Image:Opensusedvd-install9.png

for installation instructions see the link http://en.opensuse.org/Installation/11.0_DVD_Install
Thank you - this worked out perfectly!!!

Ubuntu did not automatically identify and install my Novatel U727 CMDA Turbo Stix modem but SUSE 11.2 did!
 
Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
khodam
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 1
When u start to install SuSE,when u are in boot step of installing,u can format the last linux installed on your system and then install new OS on this partition.
 
Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
raju.mopidevi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: vijayawada, India
Distribution: openSUSE 11.2, Ubuntu 9.0.4
Posts: 1,155
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 92
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Thompson View Post
Thank you - this worked out perfectly!!!

Ubuntu did not automatically identify and install my Novatel U727 CMDA Turbo Stix modem but SUSE 11.2 did!
You are welcome
 
Old 11-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
jiobo
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 180

Rep: Reputation: 36
While I have tried several different Linux distributions, the way that I prefer to install another Linux distribution on top of another, is to not just put another installation on top of it but to first prepare the harddrive. To do that, you can boot into a rescue mode and prepare the disk. To use the ext3 filesystem, with the old Linux distribution on partition 2:

Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=1024
# mkfs.ext3 -c /dev/sda2
Then I would reboot with the installation cd and use partition 2 for the installation. You do not want to have parts of the old installation on the harddrive when you try to install a new Linux distribution.

Also with OpenSuse, on an LCD monitor, I found it very helpful to change the monitor resolution to 800x600 with the F3 option before selecting the option to start the installation. Otherwise, my LCD monitor would go blank and it became a problem to complete the installation since the default monitor settings in the installer where not optimal for the LCD. Similarly if you need a driver you can load it at that time too.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I remove redhat10.2 and install ubuntu? dale504 Linux - Newbie 1 02-28-2008 04:24 PM
Can't install, update or remove programs: Ubuntu 7.04 ogee Linux - Software 4 10-03-2007 07:58 PM
Macbook (Remove OSX - Install Ubuntu) jrodia Linux - Laptop and Netbook 5 05-05-2007 06:06 PM
Trim down SUSE install...after install...remove packages smiley_lauf SUSE / openSUSE 6 01-26-2006 04:16 PM
Remove RH 9.0 - and then install SuSE 8.2 Par4n0iA Linux - Newbie 2 08-25-2003 09:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration