LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
greenwaldr.alex
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy How To Remove Linux Without A Windows CD


Hello, I'm currently dual-booting Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7, and I'm looking to uninstall Ubuntu and only using Windows. I know i have to remove the linux partitions and Grub and reinstall windows but i dont have a windows CD because my computer just has a recovery partition and i dont see how i could boot it without Grub. Any suggestions?
 
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,817

Rep: Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002
Why would you want to remove linux? It's so much better than windows!

Just stating the truth....

All fun aside though, what you could do is download the gparted CD ISO image file, burn to a blank disc, and from there, pop that sucker in and remove your linux partitions. From there, just extend your windows partition using the remaining free space from your linux partitions. Please note that doing it this way, you will definitely want to back your data up, as you can possibly corrupt and/or lose data on your existing windows partitions.

Cheers,

Josh
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.8, Centos 5.10
Posts: 17,240

Rep: Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324Reputation: 2324
Re partitions; you don't have to extend Ms into them, you could just amend their type to the the same MS type you've already got, and mount them as extra drives eg E:, F: etc.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825
Quote:
Originally Posted by corp769 View Post
Why would you want to remove linux? It's so much better than windows!

Just stating the truth....

All fun aside though, what you could do is download the gparted CD ISO image file, burn to a blank disc, and from there, pop that sucker in and remove your linux partitions. From there, just extend your windows partition using the remaining free space from your linux partitions. Please note that doing it this way, you will definitely want to back your data up, as you can possibly corrupt and/or lose data on your existing windows partitions.

Cheers,

Josh
This will leave the OP with an unbootable system, because Grub won't find its files.
To restore the bootloader you can use the free 90-days evaluation version of Windows 7, just boot from that, go to the recovery console and launch the command
Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,817

Rep: Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Re partitions; you don't have to extend Ms into them, you could just amend their type to the the same MS type you've already got, and mount them as extra drives eg E:, F: etc.
Or you can do that too. Sorry for thinking the hard way; I am a 100% linux guy, so I think harder, and not smarter
 
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,817

Rep: Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
This will leave the OP with an unbootable system, because Grub won't find its files.
To restore the bootloader you can use the free 90-days evaluation version of Windows 7, just boot from that, go to the recovery console and launch the command
Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
Didn't see your post man.... Yes, you are correct. I was assuming that the OP knew what he was doing, since he doesn't want linux anymore....
 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
greenwaldr.alex
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
This will leave the OP with an unbootable system, because Grub won't find its files.
To restore the bootloader you can use the free 90-days evaluation version of Windows 7, just boot from that, go to the recovery console and launch the command
Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
Thanks, but i got it to work without installing the trial i entered
Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
into the system repair control panel. Then deleted Linux partitions and ran system restore because i wanted to start fresh. Unrelated question, should i divide windows or any other OS on to two partiitions.
 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825
This depends. In my opinion I generally find it to be a good idea to separate data from the OS. For Linux for example I always create a separate /home-partition. This was also easy with Windows up to XP, there I created separate partitions and used them for the My Files-folder. Since Vista I gave that up and just used a separate partition as data partition without assigning My Files to it.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
baxzius
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: India
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 134
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
This depends. In my opinion I generally find it to be a good idea to separate data from the OS. For Linux for example I always create a separate /home-partition. This was also easy with Windows up to XP, there I created separate partitions and used them for the My Files-folder. Since Vista I gave that up and just used a separate partition as data partition without assigning My Files to it.
thanks so much,because i was thinking to migrate from ubuntu to suse linux.....your solution gave me a new idea.
 
Old 08-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxzius View Post
thanks so much,because i was thinking to migrate from ubuntu to suse linux.....your solution gave me a new idea.
You're welcome. Just keep in mind that a separate data partition is not a substitute for a good backup plan.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,817

Rep: Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002Reputation: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
You're welcome. Just keep in mind that a separate data partition is not a substitute for a good backup plan.
+1 to that. A better backup plan is to configure a good RAID setup, and have an external HD, containing daily backups. That way, you are covered.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I remove Windows 7 from a Windows / Linux dual boot setup Tiree17 Linux - Newbie 4 12-19-2009 07:36 PM
why cant i remove linpus linux and windows xp sherlock1977 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 2 07-02-2007 10:47 PM
i need to remove linux from my dell and only use windows Loretta59 General 20 02-25-2007 12:51 PM
remove Linux keep Windows Shadow King Linux - Newbie 2 09-08-2006 03:32 PM
How to remove linux....yet leave Windows XP? glenn69 Linux - Newbie 3 09-15-2004 08:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration