After ctrl + alt + f1.
- it askes for an user (login). enter "root" (without quotes).
- then it askes for the password for the entered user (root user).
- Enter the root user password.
Now you should be logged in as root.
to reset the users password (for wich you forgot password) do the following
- type: "passwd username" (without quotes, notice that you must substitute username with the actual username, eg passwd james)
- then it askes for the new password for this user. do so.
- Wow! it asks you for the password again (enter the new password again)
there.. all done.
- type "exit"
- Do ctrl + alt + f7 to return to the graphical screen (where you need to login to)
- then enter the right user + the newly entered password.