LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Geek255
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 41

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

@ Rohant

After you practice linux commands the next step is to learn shell scripting.

Also, keep notes of the more complex commands and its syntax for reference.

The more frequent you use a command and its options the better chance it will be engraved in your memory.

Last edited by Geek255; 03-01-2012 at 11:40 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
Rohant
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2011
Location: India, Mumbai
Distribution: RHEL, Fedora,Ubuntu, Centos, Windows XP & Windows 7
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyaveer Arya View Post
Rohant,

You can also download and install cygwin on Windows and use it's shell instead of the command prompt when you are on Windows. And always refer and study the man pages of every commands, man pages are most most helpful in using any commands.
Thanks once again Satyaveer Arya,

from now on i will refer man page of every command and try to remember it by practicing it.

you are working as a sysadmin so plz can you advice me how can i be a good Linux user?

i dont just want to keep my Linux limited knowledge for my job profile.

i want to know everything about linux in & out abt Linux os. want to be a master in LINUX.

I liked Linux a lot.

I will really appreciate your advice.

Thanks
 
Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Rohant
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2011
Location: India, Mumbai
Distribution: RHEL, Fedora,Ubuntu, Centos, Windows XP & Windows 7
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
Being a good sys admin doesn't mean memorizing every possible command and every possible switch for each command. Being a good sys admin means knowing enough about what commands are available and what they can do to be able to look things up online or in the man pages and figure it out relatively quickly.

Do you know what sed does? Do you know what find does? How about grep? As long as you know what these programs do, then use the man pages (eg: "man find") to see what switches you need to set to achieve a certain behavior for a certain application. Do it enough times, and you'll start to remember the most common ones off the top of your head. You'll still need to look in the man pages for more rarely used switches though, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Thanks once again suicidaleggroll,

from now on i will refer man page of every command and try to remember it by practicing it.

plz can you advice me how can i be a good Linux user?

i dont just want to keep my Linux limited knowledge for my job profile.

i want to know everything about linux in & out abt Linux os. want to be a master in LINUX.

I liked Linux a lot.

I will really appreciate your advice.

Thanks
 
Old 03-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
@Deepak27 great link & to the point
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
deep27ak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: rhel 5x,6.0,6.2, centOS 5x,6.0,6.2
Posts: 1,194
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 221Reputation: 221Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDY1 View Post
@Deepak27 great link & to the point
Thank you sir ..

here is another link which contains link of some other websites. I have not checked all but some of the are really helpful.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...at-sheets.html
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #21
Satyaveer Arya
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Palm Island
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Oracle Solaris 10
Posts: 1,415

Rep: Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305
Quote:
you are working as a sysadmin so plz can you advice me how can i be a good Linux user?
Till now from all the above posts you came to know how to learn and grab much knowledge about linux and remembering command of linux and all. But as you asked me how to become a good linux user or you can say a good linux administrator as you want to be. So here are some of the tips you can follow according to your need which are essential being a linux administrator:

1. All the time keep a system up to date. Apply all patches especially security update. Use up2date or yum or apt-get update commands to apply security updates.

2. Default firewall policy should be - close all door open required windows. Run iptables or ipf to block unwanted traffic, IPs, unused ports.

3. Never ever login as root, always use sudo. Disable root access for ssh and ftp session(default).

4. Do not run any perl or other executable code on production system as root. Always test downloaded stuff locally and use md5 checksum for verification purpose.

5 Take advantage of SELinux(Security-enhanced Linux) which enables mandatory access control mechanism. It is also recommended that you install anti-virus/anti-spam program on all mail server such as clamav(or you can purchase 3rd party AV/Anti Spam solution).

6. Finally run all important services in chrooted jail environment.

7. Remove or disable unnecessary services you don't use.

8. Conduct some(penetration) tests to ensure you didn't misconfig your setup.

9. Remove all compilers and network scanning tools such as nmap from servers. Why make the attacker's job easier?

Remember you can make attackers life hard but you cannot make anything 100% secure. Continues monitoring and tight security policy will keep running the service for long time without any sort of intrusion

Or you can check this thread also: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-admin-918623/
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
Rohant
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2011
Location: India, Mumbai
Distribution: RHEL, Fedora,Ubuntu, Centos, Windows XP & Windows 7
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep27ak View Post
Thank you sir ..

here is another link which contains link of some other websites. I have not checked all but some of the are really helpful.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...at-sheets.html
HI Deep27ak,
Really helpful documents on the webpage.

Thanks for sharing...
 
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
Zetec
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, W7, openSUSE, Centos
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 25
One thing I've been doing to try keep my skills up is create an automated Linux setup using various commands, installs, configurations etc. Not only will it speed up any system setups you may have in the future it will also act as a command index over time.

Simple things like setting up a web server via a script and running some utils to test would be a good start.
 
Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
Rohant
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2011
Location: India, Mumbai
Distribution: RHEL, Fedora,Ubuntu, Centos, Windows XP & Windows 7
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyaveer Arya View Post
Till now from all the above posts you came to know how to learn and grab much knowledge about linux and remembering command of linux and all. But as you asked me how to become a good linux user or you can say a good linux administrator as you want to be. So here are some of the tips you can follow according to your need which are essential being a linux administrator:

1. All the time keep a system up to date. Apply all patches especially security update. Use up2date or yum or apt-get update commands to apply security updates.

2. Default firewall policy should be - close all door open required windows. Run iptables or ipf to block unwanted traffic, IPs, unused ports.

3. Never ever login as root, always use sudo. Disable root access for ssh and ftp session(default).

4. Do not run any perl or other executable code on production system as root. Always test downloaded stuff locally and use md5 checksum for verification purpose.

5 Take advantage of SELinux(Security-enhanced Linux) which enables mandatory access control mechanism. It is also recommended that you install anti-virus/anti-spam program on all mail server such as clamav(or you can purchase 3rd party AV/Anti Spam solution).

6. Finally run all important services in chrooted jail environment.

7. Remove or disable unnecessary services you don't use.

8. Conduct some(penetration) tests to ensure you didn't misconfig your setup.

9. Remove all compilers and network scanning tools such as nmap from servers. Why make the attacker's job easier?

Remember you can make attackers life hard but you cannot make anything 100% secure. Continues monitoring and tight security policy will keep running the service for long time without any sort of intrusion

Or you can check this thread also: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-admin-918623/

Thanks once again Satyaveer Arya for your gr8 advice,

i will work on all above aspects that will help me to become a good system administrator.

also read your suggestion that you gave in azheruddin thread.

even i am in a beginning stage and will start searching a job.

Thanks you Satyaveer Arya and all who gave me good advice and clear my confusion.

Guys you are doing gr8 job of sharing knowledge.

Keep it up...

God Bless you all.....
 
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
devinwhite717
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 1
Most used commands

Here you can find the most used linux commands
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Online Linux Console for Practice of UNIX and Linux Commands Hi_This_is_Dev Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 4 08-30-2010 10:12 AM
practice linux hansi umayangan Linux - Newbie 3 03-01-2005 01:29 AM
online practice of linux commands p_test Linux - Newbie 15 09-21-2004 12:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration