LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
ngcsekhar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
how to mount sony magic gate pro in my sony vaio CS VGN-CS24GH


Hello
I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 in my laptop sony vaio CS VGN-CS24GH.my laptop has Magic Gate Pro memory card slot. I am not able to mount the memory card using the ubuntu10.04. so please help me to resolve the problem.
Thank you
 
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,989

Rep: Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcsekhar View Post
Hello
I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 in my laptop sony vaio CS VGN-CS24GH.my laptop has Magic Gate Pro memory card slot. I am not able to mount the memory card using the ubuntu10.04. so please help me to resolve the problem.
Thank you
Can't do it, and probably won't be able to. And I'm assuming you mean the MemoryStick slot, not the SD card slot.

The MemoryStick slots on Vaios are from Ricoh, and they've not been cooperative with the Linux community, so, drivers for MemoryStick slots aren't going to be available anytime soon. This has to do with the fact that MemorySticks have "Magic Gate" (i.e. copy protection), which Windows gladly supports, but Linux doesn't.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
ntu929
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 109

Rep: Reputation: 3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Can't do it, and probably won't be able to. And I'm assuming you mean the MemoryStick slot, not the SD card slot.

The MemoryStick slots on Vaios are from Ricoh, and they've not been cooperative with the Linux community, so, drivers for MemoryStick slots aren't going to be available anytime soon. This has to do with the fact that MemorySticks have "Magic Gate" (i.e. copy protection), which Windows gladly supports, but Linux doesn't.
You mentioned Ricoh is not cooperative with linux...
Cant we get hardware specification from the vendor. Freedom of Information act ?

Regards,
ntu929
 
Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,989

Rep: Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntu929 View Post
You mentioned Ricoh is not cooperative with linux...
Cant we get hardware specification from the vendor. Freedom of Information act ?
Read up on what the FIA actually is. Private companies can do as they wish...FIA covers public/government documents, and even then with restrictions.

If you'd like to contact Richoh and get the specs, please do so.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sony vaio vgn-c1-z ciernobielo Linux - Hardware 1 02-01-2007 03:30 PM
Sony Vaio VGN-S5HP rcpjimmy Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 07-25-2006 12:50 AM
Sony Vaio VGN-FS315E Wireless beanux Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 03-21-2006 05:31 PM
Sony Vaio VGN-FS115M Gigantas Linux - Laptop and Netbook 11 03-19-2005 09:28 AM
Sony Vaio VGN-B1XP / sony driver question kentri9 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 0 12-27-2004 12:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration