LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Ribo01
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Posts: 103

Rep: Reputation: 5
how to mount my external HDD ?


Hello y'all. A. Having problems finding my external hdd when I connect it to my system. Basically, I don't know what to mount. When I check through my hardware browser its never there. Unlike when I connect my pendrv its come as sda1. But the same does not happen t my external hdd.would like to know why its so, and how to mount it. Thanks in anticipation. Distro is Red hat.
 
Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
ButterflyMelissa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere on my hard drive...
Distribution: Manjaro
Posts: 2,686
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 398Reputation: 398Reputation: 398Reputation: 398
Hi, a suggestion , I could be wrong, if so, sorry...

Okay, tried this?

Quote:
fdisk -l
with the disk connectec (duh) and turned on? You should get a list of "visible" stuff, that you can mount...

If it is a USB disk, fresh from the store, I suspect it to be formatted in ntfs, and your system may not have the required drivers. I have had the same. Formatted it to etx2 and now the thing mounts as soon as I turn it on. Alternatevily, you can install the required drivers...but (personally) I'd advise agaiinst it...

Setup here : USB 2.0 ext hard drive Iomega 1Tb, Arch Linux an an HP/Compaq slimline computer...

Be looking at this thread to see where we end up...

Thor
 
Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Ribo01
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Posts: 103

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 5
Hey thor_2.0 thanks for the effort. I already used fdisk -l but its wasn't listed. Yeah its formatted by ntfs file system, so is my hard drive which shows up with the fdisk -l command.I dnt think the ntfs file. System is the problem or is it ? Anybody ?

Last edited by Ribo01; 04-07-2011 at 12:40 PM.
 
Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
ronlau9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: In front of my LINUX OR MAC BOX
Distribution: Mandriva 2009 X86_64 suse 11.3 X86_64 Centos X86_64 Debian X86_64 Linux MInt 86_64 OS X
Posts: 2,369

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Try in terminal cat/proc/filesystems .
If do not show up we have to install a driver to read on the ntfs HD

Last edited by ronlau9; 04-07-2011 at 01:03 PM.
 
Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
ButterflyMelissa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere on my hard drive...
Distribution: Manjaro
Posts: 2,686
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 398Reputation: 398Reputation: 398Reputation: 398
Quote:
System is the problem or is it ?
Nope, it's not the problem, in fact, you may need to set it up further to suit your needs.
Either, format the thing (use parted) or, as ronlau9 suggests, install the driver...

Luck

Thor
 
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Larry Webb
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Crystal Beach, Texas
Distribution: Suse for mail +
Posts: 5,100
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 229Reputation: 229Reputation: 229
Install ntfs-3g and fuse
 
Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Ribo01
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Posts: 103

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 5
Thanks you all. So how or where so I get ntfs-3g and fuse for download to install. Thanks again. Waiting in anticipation .
 
Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Larry Webb
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Crystal Beach, Texas
Distribution: Suse for mail +
Posts: 5,100
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 229Reputation: 229Reputation: 229
I have read your prior posts and I think you need to get a easier more update distro, or need to get a book and learn the one you have. You could use search engine 'Google' and type in the ntfs-3g and I am sure one of the articles will tell you where to get it and explain what it does. In fact you may find a tutorial explaining how to install. If after doing that if you have any problems I will be happy to try and help.
 
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
vikas027
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, OS X
Posts: 1,298

Rep: Reputation: 102Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribo01 View Post
Thanks you all. So how or where so I get ntfs-3g and fuse for download to install. Thanks again. Waiting in anticipation .
You can use this link to download according to your distro.

Installation is simple
Code:
rpm -ivh 'package name'
 
Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,672
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribo01 View Post
I already used fdisk -l but its wasn't listed. Yeah its formatted by ntfs file system, so is my hard drive which shows up with the fdisk -l command.I dnt think the ntfs file. System is the problem or is it ? Anybody ?
I couldn't understand your post clearly:
In the below output, my usb is formatted with ext4, AFAIR, but still it gets shown as FAT32, sdb. Doesn't your fdisk show something like this?
Code:
[17:59:52 Fri Apr 08]
~/junk sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x12bb12ba

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1        3917    31463271   83  Linux
/dev/sda2            3918        4439     4192965   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3            4440        8355    31455270   83  Linux
/dev/sda4   *        8356       30401   177084495    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5            8356       10966    20972826   83  Linux
/dev/sda6           10967       30401   156111606   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 2051 MB, 2051013632 bytes
33 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1926 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2079 * 512 = 1064448 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x26772ef8

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1        1927     2002927    b  W95 FAT32
 
Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Larry Webb
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Crystal Beach, Texas
Distribution: Suse for mail +
Posts: 5,100
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 229Reputation: 229Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
I couldn't understand your post clearly:
In the below output, my usb is formatted with ext4, AFAIR, but still it gets shown as FAT32, sdb. Doesn't your fdisk show something like this?
Code:
[17:59:52 Fri Apr 08]
~/junk sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x12bb12ba

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1        3917    31463271   83  Linux
/dev/sda2            3918        4439     4192965   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3            4440        8355    31455270   83  Linux
/dev/sda4   *        8356       30401   177084495    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5            8356       10966    20972826   83  Linux
/dev/sda6           10967       30401   156111606   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 2051 MB, 2051013632 bytes
33 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1926 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2079 * 512 = 1064448 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x26772ef8

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1        1927     2002927    b  W95 FAT32

Your Suse Distro and Slack will have ntfs-3g and fuse already installed default. Plus you do not need them to read vfat file systems, just ntfs.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mount External HDD - USB ruwanindika Fedora 6 02-22-2008 09:10 AM
Trouble mount external hdd Sparkfist Linux - General 4 10-16-2006 10:58 PM
How to mount External Hdd Jekkaman Slackware 8 12-30-2005 01:09 AM
How do I mount a external HDD cyborg_jt Mandriva 9 03-12-2005 08:07 PM
external HDD mount command bobbens Linux - Hardware 6 12-30-2004 01:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration