LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
rainbow
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to mount Harddisk(SATA) in Debian


Hi,

There are 2 Harddisks (SATA and IDE) installed in my PC (Running only Debian).

Debian (2.6.18-4-686) is installed in IDE.

SATA was formatted and it's also partition into 2 partitions. 1 in FAT32 and another 1 in NTFS. Both are containing Data that I want to access.

When I typed the command "fdisk -l", only 2 partitions (swap and /)was found (which mean only IDE Harddisk was found).

How can I find SATA and how to mount them. Please specify what commands need to be used.

Any help will be so much appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
puntjuh
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: holland
Distribution: Gentoo / debian / suse / mint
Posts: 558

Rep: Reputation: 42
If it's the only SATA disc in your computer, it's probably named sda. and if there are 2 partitions, it's probably sda & sda1 & sda2.

I would recommend doing:

Code:
dmesg | grep sda
It should give you an output.
 
Old 07-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,513

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Hi,

There are 2 Harddisks (SATA and IDE) installed in my PC (Running only Debian).

Debian (2.6.18-4-686) is installed in IDE.

SATA was formatted and it's also partition into 2 partitions. 1 in FAT32 and another 1 in NTFS. Both are containing Data that I want to access.

When I typed the command "fdisk -l", only 2 partitions (swap and /)was found (which mean only IDE Harddisk was found).

How can I find SATA and how to mount them. Please specify what commands need to be used.

Any help will be so much appreciated.

Thanks!
That almost seems like your SATA controller is not recognized by the 2.6.18 kernel. Can you show us the output of the fdisk -l, the dmesg already mentioned and the lspci commands plus tell us your motherboard make/model. You may need a new kernel installed to get it working you can get one built for your install at www.backports.org I believe they have a 2.6.21 there.
 
Old 07-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
rainbow
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks puntjuh!

Now I know SATA is sda. Thanks! But when I typed "dmesg | grep sda" there's no output! It only show another blank command line as follow:

debian:/home/rainbow# dmesg | grep sda
debian:/home/rainbow#

What can I do next?

Thanks!
 
Old 07-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Brian1
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu
Posts: 5,700

Rep: Reputation: 62
Run the command ' /sbin/lspci -v ' to get info on the controller. Check through the HCL section locate at the top or to the right to see if listed. If not check google for help. Post output of command related to the controller. Either controller is not supported or module needs to be loaded. May even require the newest kernel if supported there. But the key is know what you have.

Brian
 
Old 07-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
rainbow
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks HappyTux,

The information you need:

debian:/home/rainbow# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hdb: 10.2 GB, 10242892800 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1245 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 124 995998+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hdb2 * 125 1245 9004432+ 83 Linux
debian:/home/rainbow#


debian:/home/rainbow# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.5 PIC: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 I/O APIC Interrupt Controller
00:00.6 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device 6364
00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller (rev 80)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller (rev 80)
00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device 5337 (rev 80)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 07)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to ISA Bridge
00:11.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8251 Ultra VLINK Controller
00:13.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A Host Bridge
00:13.1 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to PCI Bridge
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 016a (rev a1)
03:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
04:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio Controller (rev 10)
debian:/home/rainbow#

I don't know if this is the Motherboard's modal: VIA P4M900
 
Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
rainbow
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
puntjuh,

Command "dmesg | grep sda" you recommended works after I tried it several times, and the output show as follow:

debian:/home/rainbow# dmesg | grep sda
SCSI device sda: 4030464 512-byte hdwr sectors (2064 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 4030464 512-byte hdwr sectors (2064 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
debian:/home/rainbow#

Thanks, hope that help you troubleshoot my problems.
 
Old 07-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,513

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
puntjuh,

Command "dmesg | grep sda" you recommended works after I tried it several times, and the output show as follow:

debian:/home/rainbow# dmesg | grep sda
SCSI device sda: 4030464 512-byte hdwr sectors (2064 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 4030464 512-byte hdwr sectors (2064 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
debian:/home/rainbow#

Thanks, hope that help you troubleshoot my problems.
Hmm it seems to think it is a removable hard drive so is it? You might want to try as root mkdir /extra then mount /dev/sda1 /extra to see if it will mount the only partition it sees on that drive.
 
Old 07-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Brian1
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu
Posts: 5,700

Rep: Reputation: 62
List the loaded modules and post output.
/sbin/lsmod

Check this page for a bit of info. http://hardware4linux.info/server/component/14729/
From the looks you need two modules loaded.
ahci
pata_jmicron

These modules if built for the kernel will be in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/ata. Like for ahci it will be ahci.ko and similiar for pata_jmicron.ko. If both present then load the modules as root with these commands.
/sbin/modprobe ahci
/abin/modprobe pata_jmicron

If one is missing then you will need to recompile the kernel to add the support for it into the kernel.

Brian

Last edited by Brian1; 07-22-2007 at 02:35 PM.
 
Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,513

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Thanks HappyTux,

The information you need:

debian:/home/rainbow# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hdb: 10.2 GB, 10242892800 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1245 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 124 995998+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hdb2 * 125 1245 9004432+ 83 Linux
debian:/home/rainbow#


debian:/home/rainbow# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:00.5 PIC: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 I/O APIC Interrupt Controller
00:00.6 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device 6364
00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller (rev 80)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller (rev 80)
00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device 5337 (rev 80)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 07)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to ISA Bridge
00:11.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8251 Ultra VLINK Controller
00:13.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A Host Bridge
00:13.1 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to PCI Bridge
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 016a (rev a1)
03:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
04:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio Controller (rev 10)
debian:/home/rainbow#

I don't know if this is the Motherboard's modal: VIA P4M900
We have the same controller from the looks of it but yours is getting detected as an IDE still.

Code:
>$ lspci | grep JM
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
What do you have it set too in your BIOS legacy or AHCI mode? You want AHCI for it to behave as a native SATA drive here is where you might want to consider upgrading to the newer kernel I mentioned before it has much better support for that controller the 2.6.18 is the minimum where it is supported one thing to look out for if doing the upgrade is your CD/DVD drive going from a /dev/hd?? to a /dev/scd?, /dev/sr? that is what it did on mine connected to the JMicron.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to mount ntfs on a sata drive in debian? Bultot Linux - Hardware 10 01-16-2005 08:10 PM
sata harddisk sharapchi Slackware - Installation 2 11-22-2004 11:15 AM
Mount SATA RAID drives in debian? EcceVery Debian 8 05-12-2004 05:24 PM
Pls. Help SATA Harddisk? swmok Linux - Hardware 2 03-16-2004 09:06 AM
2.6.2 and sata harddisk fobius Linux - Hardware 2 02-14-2004 05:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration