LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
jackkhim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to make partition for ubuntu 5.10


H,
I am newbie ubuntu,and I try to make partition for ubuntu.I had tried to use Gparted,but it din'nt display anything for that.Can anyone help me about that?
thanks
 
Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 AM   #2
uncle-c
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: The Ether
Distribution: Fedora 14, Ubuntu , Slax 5.1.8, OpenSolaris, Centos 4.8
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hi Jack. Could you give some more details please. Does your HD already have another OS installed on it or is it totally empty. If empty, has it been formatted in another format , ie FAT32 / NTFS etc. GParted is usually quite straightforward to use. Have you a linux distro already installed or are you booting up with the Ubuntu CD and then getting the option to format your HD / make a linux partition ? From previous experience if you are completely new to Linux it is best to install on a clean HD with no other partitions as opposed to messing around with partition managers. I'm sure others would also recommend that you try to install a newer version of Ubuntu. I found installing 6.06 even more straightforward than Win 3.11

Uncle C
 
Old 11-16-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkhim
H,
I am newbie ubuntu,and I try to make partition for ubuntu.I had tried to use Gparted,but it din'nt display anything for that.Can anyone help me about that?
thanks
The Linux installer will take care of making partitions--as long as there is empty space on the disk.

When you say that Gparted "didn't display anything for that", what do you mean? Did it recognize the disk and show you the partitions already there?

If you want Ubuntu, why not something more recent--eg 6.06 or 6.10?
 
Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
jackkhim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle-c
Hi Jack. Could you give some more details please. Does your HD already have another OS installed on it or is it totally empty. If empty, has it been formatted in another format , ie FAT32 / NTFS etc. GParted is usually quite straightforward to
Uncle C
OK,i try to let you what i do it.1st i try to format the HD,inside is no any OS,is totally empty,then I start to install the ubuntu 5.10,then b4 installation,we can make partition for it right?
so i try to make it.then after that start to make the installation.After every things done.So i try to go to My Computer there and check,but I just found it only got 1 filesystem.and the another partition i created was found inside filesystem/home.

Then now my problem is how to show the partition in 2 in My Computer, same like when we insatall window XP will show out C drive and D drive 2 partition like that.

Thanks
 
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
I think you are saying that you have Ubuntu working and cannot see one of the partitions???

Please open a terminal and do "sudo fdisk -l" and post the results here.
 
Old 11-18-2006, 01:45 AM   #6
linuxone
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2006
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
If i understand you correctly, then you're expecting to see you're second partition as a separate drive in "My Computer"

Linux mounted file systems are not the same as Windows file systems, and thus don't act or look the same. Linux does not see it's available mount points as drives designated with a leter like C or D

everything sits inside of root AKA "/"

additional partitions would mount within this file structure. for example if you have an additional partition for home directories it would mount in /home.

take a look at /etc/fstab on your system, this should define what is mounted where. running the command "mount" will also print out all mounted filesystems on the machine

--dan



Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkhim
OK,i try to let you what i do it.1st i try to format the HD,inside is no any OS,is totally empty,then I start to install the ubuntu 5.10,then b4 installation,we can make partition for it right?
so i try to make it.then after that start to make the installation.After every things done.So i try to go to My Computer there and check,but I just found it only got 1 filesystem.and the another partition i created was found inside filesystem/home.

Then now my problem is how to show the partition in 2 in My Computer, same like when we insatall window XP will show out C drive and D drive 2 partition like that.

Thanks
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
See old Ubuntu partition w/ new Ubuntu SLP Ubuntu 17 10-14-2006 06:03 PM
Installed FC5> Wrote over Ubuntu MBR: How do i add Ubuntu Partition to Grub Loader Free_beer Ubuntu 4 10-02-2006 07:11 PM
No make package in Ubuntu? dragon Ubuntu 6 05-06-2006 10:46 PM
How to make Ubuntu boot without X? kornerr Ubuntu 4 08-19-2005 01:55 AM
make distro ubuntu gig_byte3 Ubuntu 1 07-25-2005 08:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration