LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
tailinlinux
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Paudpod, Botolan, Zambales, Philippines
Distribution: Mandriva, Ubuntu, Mint, Open Suse, Meego
Posts: 390
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 25
How to make my account same as root privileged?


How to make my account same as root privileged?
Im using mandriva 2010.0. GNOME Desktop.


Thank You
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
marco18
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Argentina
Distribution: Ubuntu 13.04 , Debian Lenny 5.0.7
Posts: 223

Rep: Reputation: 21
The only superuser that a GNU/Linux system admits is the root user. You can't give a normal account root privileges. The root user should only be used to do administrative tasks, not for normal operation.
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco18 View Post
The only superuser that a GNU/Linux system admits is the root user. You can't give a normal account root privileges. The root user should only be used to do administrative tasks, not for normal operation.

That's actually wrong. It's trivial to give yourself root privileges; but
it's very arguable that it makes sense. In terms of security, and best
practices I wouldn't recommend doing it (ever!). Even if you have a recent
back-up, a slip of the finger w/ elevated powers can cost you several
hours of work ... e.g., a rm -rf /* instead of rm -rf *as your own
user will most likely give you a chance to cancel killing your own files
via Ctrl-c before you caused major damage. With root privileges ...
you're probably going to start to wonder why it's taking too long only
just too long into the process to be able to recover easily.



Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
tailinlinux
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Paudpod, Botolan, Zambales, Philippines
Distribution: Mandriva, Ubuntu, Mint, Open Suse, Meego
Posts: 390
Blog Entries: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
That's actually wrong. It's trivial to give yourself root privileges; but
it's very arguable that it makes sense. In terms of security, and best
practices I wouldn't recommend doing it (ever!). Even if you have a recent
back-up, a slip of the finger w/ elevated powers can cost you several
hours of work ... e.g., a rm -rf /* instead of rm -rf *as your own
user will most likely give you a chance to cancel killing your own files
via Ctrl-c before you caused major damage. With root privileges ...
you're probably going to start to wonder why it's taking too long only
just too long into the process to be able to recover easily.



Cheers,
Tink
I want to have privileged in editing printer setting, software installation in my limited account without asking to use root account.

Thank You Sir, is there anyway how to do it.
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
jmite
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 266

Rep: Reputation: 36
The idea is that you can still have super-user powers by using either su or sudo, but you ONLY use them for commands that specifically need them. This is better for safety, as in it prevents you messing stuff up by accident, and for security (i.e. if someone gains access to your account, they can't make a file executable, since they don't have your sudo password)
 
Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailinlinux View Post
I want to have privileged in editing printer setting, software installation in my limited account without asking to use root account.

Thank You Sir, is there anyway how to do it.
The "cleanest" way to achieve both those goals is to
a) add yourself to the print admin group as specified by cups.conf
and
b) add an alias to whatever package management/software installation
tool mandriva uses ... if you were e.g., using ubuntu you could
have an alias swinst='sudo /usr/sbin/synaptic' and a line in
/etc/sudoers that allows you to run synaptic passwordless.
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL, NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/synaptic


Takes 2 minutes longer to set-up than granting yourself full root,
but it's ultimately more secure.



Cheers,
Tink
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ssh from non-privileged account gives segmentation fault Mark L. Wise Linux - General 3 08-12-2010 08:43 PM
is it legitimate and allowed and can be done to make another user account set uid and gid to null 0 to make another root account with different name and possibly not damage the debian system creating and using that new account BenJoBoy Linux - Newbie 12 01-29-2006 10:02 AM
Non-privileged user account needed.... AzuuAz Linux - Security 1 11-26-2004 04:06 AM
make another root account Longinus Linux - Newbie 4 09-27-2004 11:46 PM
Possible to make a second root account? Thaidog Linux - Newbie 8 09-21-2004 09:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration