I am using Debian Squeeze, and I am trying to make a beep using my shell and the following command:
No beep is heard, though I have a speaker and headphone on my computer.
I have found some suggested solutions on the Net as to how to make the beep. One of them reads as follows:
Steps to fix:
1) Open a command terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal)
2) Type "alsamixer" at the command line and press enter.
3) Use the left and right arrow keys to move across to the "Beep" control.
4) Press the 'm' key to unmute it. The box should change from 'MM' to '00'
5) Press the up and down arrow keys to select the volume for the beep.
6) Press escape to exit alsamixer, and enjoy.
There are many solutions on the Internet that suggest the same thing: unmute the Beep slider on the alsamixer. But there is no Beep control in my alsamixer.
When I press F3, or F5, different sets of sliders appear, but non contain Beep.
So, my question is: How can I make a Beep slider appear on my alsamixer?
Thanks in advance for any hint!