A step-by-step guide to install fonts in opera and other applications.. ( for NON-ROOT users)
1. create a .fonts directory in your home directory
Copy all the ttf, .pcf etc fonts to that directory.
Note:- Make sure that all the fonts file are in small-letters. ( Heard that older version of tmkfontdir have got problems in Capital-letters in the font names )
2. While in your home directory do
3. then do
. Check the .fonts-dir
created in the directory and make sure that it contains the total number of fonts in the first line and a description of all the fonts after that.
Note:- If it contains no line or contains ony a zero in the first line restart again
< dont know whether this have any significance. >
5. Exit from the X-server if you are in X and edit your .xinitrc
file ( create if you dont have one in your home directory) and add the line
xset +fp $HOME/.fonts
at the TOP.. < IMP>
Note:- You can add that line in your .Xclients
file or .Xclient-default
file also but be careful the command should be in the first line.
6. Restart your X-Server.
7. open -up a terminal and check whether the fonts directory is included in your font path.. by the command
( Search for a line Font Path
in the output and check whether your .fonts dir is in the list)
8. You can also check by the command xfontsel
9. Then start opera ( or whatever application you like to use your fonts ) and Woila!! Opera has detected those fonts.
So That's all folks