LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
saurav_at_nandy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to install GNOME from rpm.


Hi,
I am new to this realm of Linux. I've installed RHEL5 server on my PC with a Graphical desktop. I don't know whether this GUI is based on X-Window or GNOME or KDE.

My 1st question is how can I probe what type of GUI I am using?

My 2nd question is how GNOME can be installed form RPM and what the sequence of installing those RPMs would be. I am neither a subscriber of RH Network nor willing to use update or yum command.


When I had tried to install gnome-applets the following message was displayed.
[root@unknown000cf16e754d ~]# rpm -ivh gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5.i386.rpm
warning: gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5 is already installed

It shows similar type of warnings for gnome-desktop, gnome-desktop, gnome-audio also. I cannot understand the reason for this warning.


I also tried "rpm -qpR" command but couldn't understand some lines in COLOR="Magenta" of the output(I truncated the huge output). I need explanations for their purpose and how to install them.
[root@unknown000cf16e754d ~]# rpm -qpR gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5.i386.rpm
warning: gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/env
GConf2 >= 2.14.0
GConf2 >= 2.14.0
GConf2 >= 2.14.0
gnome-netstatus >= 2.8.0-2
gnome-panel >= 2.13.4
gnome-python2-applet
gnome-python2-libegg
gstreamer-plugins-base >= 0.10
gstreamer-plugins-good >= 0.10
gtk2 >= 2.6.0
libICE.so.6
libORBit-2.so.0
libSM.so.6
libX11.so.6
libart_lgpl_2.so.2
libatk-1.0.so.0
libbonobo-2.so.0
libbonobo-activation.so.4
libbonoboui-2.so.0
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)


Answers of the aforementioned issues are highly appreciated.
Thanks.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
1.
There should be and "about" item somewhere in the menu in your panel. That will tell you if you are running gnome or kde (default redhat runs gnome though).

2.
Don't download packages by hand. Use the "yum" command

Code:
yum install packagename
Evo2.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2016, Slack14.1 Deb Jessie, + 50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 16,276

Rep: Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154
  • yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
.. is the command to get it all ..
 
Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720Reputation: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_at_nandy View Post
I don't know whether this GUI is based on X-Window or GNOME or KDE.
X is not a desktop environment. It is the program that enables applications to create "windows" (which are represented as rectangular portions of the screen) and draw to them. Windows can can have child child windows within them, and they can have child windows, etc.

Anyway, GNOME and KDE are just sets of applications that use the X Window System, instead of being replacements for it. So whatever setup you are using, it still runs on top of X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

Last edited by MTK358; 01-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
timluo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 1
i'm not very familiar with RPM. used it before for some time. Here are some of my understandings, hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_at_nandy View Post
My 1st question is how can I probe what type of GUI I am using?
if you already login inside a desktop, it should be very easy to find out by the logo each desktop environment use.
if you are still in the console (black screen), try to find some commands such as xdm, gdm, kdm (for display manger). in a default installation, gdm would mean you get a Gnome desktop (or Xfce maybe, but they are similar), kdm for KDE, only with xdm mean only get X (it's rare, though)



Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_at_nandy View Post
My 2nd question is how GNOME can be installed form RPM and what the sequence of installing those RPMs would be. I am neither a subscriber of RH Network nor willing to use update or yum command.
find the package you think the closest to the name of GNOME. install what it depends on (although it might be override with options in rpm command.) then finally itself. during the process, you might also encounter several levels of dependencies. it's not lovely job. better to use some high-level package tools like "yum". In Debian, it's possible to use installation CD as a repository for local installation. not sure about yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_at_nandy View Post
I cannot understand the reason for this warning.
this means the package has already installed. if want to get rid of those warning, try with the option "-U"

and for the last command you issued with "R" options, i suppose they are detailed dependencies (command, libraries, etc.) of "gnome-applets"

rgds,
tim
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
anand.arumug
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Distribution: ubuntu, centos
Posts: 68
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_at_nandy View Post
Hi,
I am new to this realm of Linux. I've installed RHEL5 server on my PC with a Graphical desktop. I don't know whether this GUI is based on X-Window or GNOME or KDE.

My 1st question is how can I probe what type of GUI I am using?

My 2nd question is how GNOME can be installed form RPM and what the sequence of installing those RPMs would be. I am neither a subscriber of RH Network nor willing to use update or yum command.


When I had tried to install gnome-applets the following message was displayed.
[root@unknown000cf16e754d ~]# rpm -ivh gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5.i386.rpm
warning: gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5 is already installed

It shows similar type of warnings for gnome-desktop, gnome-desktop, gnome-audio also. I cannot understand the reason for this warning.


I also tried "rpm -qpR" command but couldn't understand some lines in COLOR="Magenta" of the output(I truncated the huge output). I need explanations for their purpose and how to install them.
[root@unknown000cf16e754d ~]# rpm -qpR gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5.i386.rpm
warning: gnome-applets-2.16.0.1-19.el5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/env
GConf2 >= 2.14.0
GConf2 >= 2.14.0
GConf2 >= 2.14.0
gnome-netstatus >= 2.8.0-2
gnome-panel >= 2.13.4
gnome-python2-applet
gnome-python2-libegg
gstreamer-plugins-base >= 0.10
gstreamer-plugins-good >= 0.10
gtk2 >= 2.6.0
libICE.so.6
libORBit-2.so.0
libSM.so.6
libX11.so.6
libart_lgpl_2.so.2
libatk-1.0.so.0
libbonobo-2.so.0
libbonobo-activation.so.4
libbonoboui-2.so.0
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)


Answers of the aforementioned issues are highly appreciated.
Thanks.
I went through this recently i.e manually trying to install X Windows on my machine. X Windows is required for GNOME/KDE/Xfce to work. I was trying to install this using the install CDs but went on a cycle of mounting & unmounting the CDs to find the required packages. Finally gave up and did this:

Connected the laptop to internet and ran the following command and the installation went thru like a blaze:

yum groupinstall "X Window System"

You need to have yum installed to run the above command. To know which package(s) to install to get yum running, use the following command:

rpm -q "yum"

Regarding the magenta marked items in the list:
/bin/sh - is a command shell
/usr/bin/env - command used to run commands in a different environment
libORBit-2.so.0 - a CORBA related library
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) - Standard C library version 2.1

If you need to know details about a library of rpm, refer to the following URL: http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

hope this helps...

cheers...

Last edited by anand.arumug; 01-09-2010 at 12:29 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
saurav_at_nandy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for your clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
X is not a desktop environment. It is the program that enables applications to create "windows" (which are represented as rectangular portions of the screen) and draw to them. Windows can can have child child windows within them, and they can have child windows, etc.

Anyway, GNOME and KDE are just sets of applications that use the X Window System, instead of being replacements for it. So whatever setup you are using, it still runs on top of X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System
Thanks for your clarification. The hyperlink that you gave was helpful too.
 
Old 02-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
saurav_at_nandy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
A good documentation of dependencies among RPMs.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts...html#id2952284
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to install gnome rpm srini47 Linux - Software 14 05-23-2007 01:50 PM
Install GNOME RPM after minimum RHEL install linuxhead Linux - Newbie 4 02-23-2007 04:36 PM
How do I force an older rpm to install over a newer rpm of wine onyx Linux - Software 4 02-20-2004 01:44 AM
install Gnome 2.2.2 on RH Linux 9 using rpm aokawa Red Hat 3 09-12-2003 06:57 AM
Help : rpm dependency error when install video driver rpm ymdwxm Linux - Software 1 04-04-2003 05:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration